I was talking abt this with @pterodactylichexameter and @highfaelucien at some point and I really can’t get over it: fem!Rhys not only makes feysand delightfully gay, it solves all my problems with they way Rhys is framed in the story. Rhys is the most powerful high lord in all of history, yet he’s shown as an underdog forced to adopt a heinously wicked facade in order to get any respect and protect the things he cares about. It…. mostly? makes sense? in the book? But like, let’s be real, it’s a little cognitively dissonant.
But if Rhys is a woman in a country that barely recognizes female agency and largely denies even the existence of High Ladies, of course she has to play fucking evil to get anyone to take her seriously. Of course no one respects her, no matter how powerful she is, so she has to make them fear her. Of course she has trouble keeping the illyrians in line, why would they listen to a female leader? Of course no one in the court of nightmares likes her; in the book this is explained by having Rhys be mixed race, but mixed race and a woman? No wonder people questioned the legitimacy of her heirship, no wonder Kier’s such a little shit to her. No wonder she has such an incredibly limited circle of people she can trust.
And of course Rhys is terrified to tell Feyre about her feelings or the bond; given the extreme misogyny in Prythian it’s no stretch to think there’s homophobia too, and what sapphic girl hasn’t developed feelings for a probably-straight woman and been afraid that telling them will not only get you rejected but possibly disgust them and ruin any friendship you have? And no wonder, also, that Feyre doesn’t recognize the mate bond for what it is for so long: even if she knew she liked Rhys romantically, she’d probably assume, like many of us do, that the mate bond is exclusively heterosexual. And of course Tamlin wouldn’t see Fem!Rhys as a real romantic threat, or believe the mate bond between her and Feyre is real; Tamlin would 1000000% be like “bisexuality doesn’t exist, Feyre likes my dick and Rhys is just an Evil Lesbian with Evil Lesbian Magic.”
Anyway. Please enrich ur life and consider how much sense Fem!Rhys makes.
1. Not Quite Paradise - u guys. Beat Poet Cas, Mechanic Dean, get washed up on an island and together…. They make the island Gay™. It’s class suff: Wealthy vs. Working class, I forget the word for it. There’s survival stuff. There’s period typical Gay Panic from our main man Dean. This is set in 1957.
2. Rentboy - >:( This fic makes me feel ??? even though I enjoyed it.. But it has happy ending and also it fits the category and I’m sure you will like it too. Dean is a rentboy in the 1980s. We don’t get to see any actual prostitution iirc, but u know. It involves AIDs but no one we care about dies from AIDs. Also Dean, to me, seems a bit OOC but honestly, I think it’s just because I’m a bitch, so. Probably it’s fine.
3. An Assembly Such As This - REGENCY AU. Dean goes to a sexy masquerade to touch men bc it is a sin or illegal or smthn. He meets Cas. He has a marriage of convinience to Charlie, and they beard for each other. I won’t like I don’t remember the end of this, but I remember the beginning, and I liked that, so it’s probably good.
4. The Ghosts of Blackthorn Hall - The tags are confusing me, is it Gothic, is it Victorian? Idk, I failed history in my senior year of HS so you tell me. This one is based in history at some point. It’s a Jane Eyre Fusion so you know it’s gonna be fuckin litand also probably ghosts. I don’t want to give anything away. It’s a fun, creepy, good time. They describe stuff so good in this I feel like I was there but also thank god I wasn’t, you know?
5. The Last Moonlight Serenade - Okay. I think I read this one. If I did it was ages ago. No, I did! I remember, I loved it and was full of emotions about it. It’s NYE 1944 and Dean is in Honolulu and Cas is there also and it’s War and Army but also Gay and Sad and You know the drill. Also the art is beautiful. Oil painting beautiful.
6. Down By The Water - SPN Meets Oregon Trail you guys, what’s not to love. 1853, Cas loses everything in a Cattle Crossing (Should have waited boo, or paid to get the ferry), and then Dean is there to fix things and make his life full of light and love again. Slow build. There’s homophobia bc it’s the 1800s. Etc etc. I don’t think anyone gets dysentery.
7. For Love, For Glory - INDIANA JONES AU!!!! Fam. WWII, Nazis get punched, there is lots of plot going on, it’s only rated Mature which is a :( from me but you can’t have everything. I’ve never seen Indiana Jones so idk if it’s a fusion or an original plot but. Does it matter? No. Go, consume, be merry.
8. Ninety One Whiskey - This fic long as fuuuuuuuck. Every single thing I’ve ever heard about it has been exceptional and wonderful. I’ve never read it because my body isn’t ready for WWII slowburn Destiel. Like I can’t. I don’t want to put myself in that position because I know I will never be the same. Don’t @ me.
9. Words Can Wait - THIS IS MY FAV ON THIS LIST OK. Cas is english and lives in the country side on a farm during WWII. Then the American soldiers arrive and it’s as delightfully gay as you would expect. There’s love, there’s angst, there’s tender feelings. I love this fic with all my heart and it aaaaaches.
10. Take You To The Country - This one is short and sweet. 1950s, anonymous marriage proposal in the news paper. Anonymous bc it gay.
11. Plain And Tall - I’m so sorry? This is another I’ve been meaning to read and putting it off bc my heart isn’t ready. It’s on here with 91W bc I know it will earn it’s place. Awk if it doesn’t. I’ll keep you posted. This is Post-cival war, Dean has a baby, lives on a Farm, Cas is there, and it has the tag: Little House On The Prairie - Freeform.
12. The Cost Of Falling - Slow burn 1950s circus AU. Cas comes into town (errr the circus) and shakes things up. Please I beg you, this is so sweet and there is sex and also Cas is Russian and I can’t.
13. The Time Of My Life - Femslash Dirty Dancing, you say? I just. This fic is everything I need in life. Imagine the two scenes (the one all in white and the one at night with the leg lifting) but instead it’s Destiel and also it’s gay girls. Pls. Words Can Wait is still my fav but this……… Hoo boy. Shh h just trust me.
Also 13 is an unlucky number so
14. Twist and Shout - Major Character Death, I’m not linking it bc this is a T&S free zone.
delightfully gay story time so i was waiting in line to get through the airport security check behind this lovely black lady when one of the employees complimented her ring. the woman in front of me smiled so wide and said “thank you. my wife has good taste!”
anyways that made my whole day and i just wanted to share
i watched fried greentomatoes for the first time in a long time tonight, and my poor little sheltered past self never realized how delightfully gay that movie is. i always loved idgie and ruth, but i never realized why. well, friends, their love captured my heart in a whole new way. highly recommend it.
so my dumb dean-is-bi because of charlie flirting with the security guard post is getting notes somehow, and here and there in the tags (shut up, tagviewer is addictive and y'all know it) it pops up that dean tells charlie how to flirt because he’s a guy, and know what guys like. and nobody has been a dick about it, but it’s made me think about why that doesn’t make sense to me.
(and to preface: if you see dean as straight, and/or deancas as platonic, that’s absolutely cool! I am all for watching the show in whatever way you enjoy the most, as long as we’re all nice to each other. this is just a contemplating as to why that scene screams bi-as-hell to me, and feel free to ignore!)
firstly: charlie. yeah, she is delightfully gay as hell. and I realize that while she is a supergenius, that doesn’t necessarily translate to social skills, at all. but she’s reinvented herself so many times, she knows how to get what she needs. even under the stress of the situation, her reaction of “I can’t, he’s not a girl” doesn’t make sense, and is insulting to her character.
also – and I just noticed this – let’s think about how sam paralleled her EXPLICITLY to hermione like thirty seconds prior to this scene – hermione, who went out with (or at least went to a dance with) cormac mclaggen, who she was utterly *repelled* by, for her own purposes (to get back at ron).
secondly: “dean is a guy so he knows what guys like” – now, this is completely subjective, so YMMV. I suck awfully at flirting with girls (which is a bummer, really), because I only know what I like, and don’t assume other girls are the same. on the other hand, I know how to flirt with guys (poorly), because I have been doing so (poorly) for a long time, and so have a general idea as to what gets a positive reception. it seems to make more sense that people learn to flirt based on the reactions they receive moreso than a static “this is what I like”, especially someone as perceptive as dean winchester.
thirdly – this is a little weak, maybe – is sam’s reaction. yeah, the raised eyebrows and teasing is pretty in character for the brother, but again, sam told charlie to channel hermione like a minute ago, and now he’s kinda making fun of dean for helping her flirt?
which brings me to the key point that like: tv shows aren’t real life and adhere to their own rules. I mean, I think even in real life – minus, you know, the monsters, and apocalypse, and death and resurrections and shit – a lot of those things would make people wonder about dean’s sexuality. but in real life, subtext ain’t shit – nobody’s gay straight bi ace anything unless they identify as such, obviously.
but spn writers have been doing this for a very long time, and they are (mostly) very good at what they do.
IRL: if a guy randomly checks a dude? means absolutely nothing. TV: if male character is specifically instructed to check out random dude when it doesn’t further the plot at all? nope, it doesn’t mean he’s bi, but yeah, it explictly opens it to subtext.
likewise, the bisexual flag in naomi’s office when she’s brainwashing him – yeah, it’s upside-down, but I can’t imagine that’s accidental – especially since, you know, the set designer… . .
none of these things ascertain dean is bi, but when people are like “I don’t understand how anyone even thinks he’s not totally hetero” I’m a little confused…