So, after what I thought would be a 2 week Fallout 4 / X-mas / busy work schedule type break….it really turned into “I have no life because work is ridiculous” type break. Four months later, here we are! I do plan on continuing the projects I highlighted in my previous entries. I’ve also been chugging away at 5 other models. Because I’m a glutton for punishment, almost all are out of my usual comfort zone and have parts missing from the kit, parts that don’t fit, or are just a pain in the ass. In other words, business as usual!
So, I picked up a Trumpeter SA-6 SAM launcher in 1/35, a Tamiya Tiger 1 Late in 1/35, a T-62 BDD Mod. 1970 in 1/35, a Tamiya Jagdpanther in 1/35and a Dragon Models Wirbelwind, also in 1/35. None of these I had any clue about, no reviews read, no previous info besides History Channel stuff etc. so it was nice to dive into something and not worry too much about getting the “rivet counts” right. Or so I thought…. Tamiya. You buggers. So, if you’ve ever built a Tamiya kit, some of the things you can expect from practically every kit that they’re the OEM for is; excellent fit and finish (Shake and bake comes to mind), a low parts count and vinyl tracks. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, that’s the only option that comes in a Tamiya box. Or so I thought until I cracked the box on the Tiger 1 Late.
Fuck. Individual tracks links in a Tamiya kit?! The reason I bought the stupid
thing was because I was about to fly to China and have a stern conversation
with the guys at Trumpeter who think adding guide teeth to tank treads is a fun
thing to do. At least they fit well…
True to Tamiya standards, the kit flies together and has markings for 11 different Tiger 1 Late/Final tanks, including markings from some famous units like the sPzAbt 502, sPzAbt 505 and the one I chose, the 101st. Two piece plastic barrel, mount and MG34 provide, options for a Late model or Final model Tiger are provided. Some filling and hole poking will be necessary. Another thing you Tiger fans will probably be aware of is the zimmerit. There isn’t any provided. Pretty much all Late and Final model Tigers came equipped with zimmerit and I’ll be damned if I wasn’t gonna at least attempt it. In comes Lion Roar’s excellent zimmerit doe. Despite Canada Post’s best efforts to fuck off with my package, it arrived from New Zealand 8 weeks later, safe and sound. Using Squadron Green putty, I put a 1mm thick layer covering what your average human would be able to spread on the real tank, and went to work. Letting it sit for about three minutes at a time, and thoroughly wetting the doe before use, and we have a perfectly reasonable representation of the anti-magnetic mine coating!
The rest of the build was completely uneventful, except for the tracks. Now I really do hate individual links. I understand that they give realistic sag etc, BUT that being said, If there’s 200~ links and each has 4 attachment points….Eff that idea right in the eh. Thankfully, these only had two attachment points and went together smoothly. I ended up attaching them directly to the drive wheel and the rear one, which I assume adjusts tension. There’s a reason I sell wine for a living and not tanks.
here are some pics from the first project I’ve done in a while. This tank
represents a Tiger 1 Late, from sPzAbt 101, summer of 1944 in Normandy, France. Paints
were done exclusively with Tamiya for the camouflage, then my usual mix of MiG
products, Winsor & Newton oils and various other chemicals that are
hazardous to your health. Thank God for OHIP…
At this stage I am not finished, but you can at least see the progress I’ve made. The rest of the models are coming shortly…and maybe by the time they’re done I’ll have enough courage to finish the Soviet/Afghan diorama.