so i see you enjoy neo as much as anyone else who hates themselves OTL do you have any good fic recs for the pairing?
wow that is exactly how I feel about myself and neo in general because I am the biggest SLUT for this pairing, slightly (very) bitter that I didn’t discover VIXX during neo’s golden years, and slightly disgusted at how obsessed I am with this pairing (also I hear that a lot of Starlights find the pairing cliche and overrated but I cannot find it in me to give a fuck).
But before we begin, a shameless plug by yours truly:
- Grey: Taekwoon’s world bursts into violent colour (pg, soulmate!AU, fluff/angst)
- Of Sweets and Angels:Sanghyuk wonders if an angel has come to take him to Heaven (pg13, Hunger Games!AU + girl!Hakyeon)
So anyway, fic recs. I’m a relatively new Starlight (less than half a year in) so I myself am still exploring and discovering new material for this pairing, not helped by the fact that I lost a bunch of bookmarked fics when I reformatted my phone (one of them is lost forever). Everything I read is pg13 and below because I can’t and won’t read smut (v vanila, huge prude, sorry about that). A majority of the fics I mention can be found in this masterlist here so there’s a high chance you’ve already read it. But here are some of my faves in
no particular order except for the first two:
Okay let me tell you something about this fic. I read this fic four months ago and I’ve never truly moved on. It is hands down, one of the best pieces of fiction I have ever read. Needless to say, I cried, and even now I feel like crying because I allowed myself to think about it again. If you must choose only one fic to read, read this one. Not recommended to be read in public (like I did).
- Paw Prints in the Snow: His first memory is Hakyeon’s face. (pg13, wizard/familiar!AU, fluff/angst, v angst, THE PAIN, one of my absolute faves)
- There’s a Ghost Upon the Moor Tonight:
When Taekwoon comes back to the clearing his house stands in, he’s not able to appreciate the color of the sky that comes in hues of pink and yellow, because there’s someone sitting on his porch, throwing dead leaves all around the ghost kitty. (g, ghost whisperer!AU, slow burn)
- The Silence: The first time Hakyeon heard him sing, or rather the first time he would remember it, his mother died. (pg13, banshee!AU, slow burn)
- Relative Destiny: Hakyeon is clueless. Taekwoon is clueless. The people they each like are clueless. Also, Hakyeon throws things at Wonshik and Taekwoon glares at Hongbin. (pg13, college!AU, very cute & fluffy, i did a lot of kicky legs while reading this)
- Untitled Maniscript: So long as there’s a reader, no story will ever truly end. Hakyeon breathes life into the pages, and wholeheartedly believes their love will be perpetual. (pg, dystopian!AU, slow burn)
- Little Talks: “Give it back now.” “Try and take it.” (pg13, canonverse, fluff, v cute)
- Reminice: Taekwoon used to say the winter beach looked lonely. (g, cancer!au, angst, horrible horrible angst)
-Why Won’t You Return My Calls?:
Hakyeon isn’t calling or texting anymore, and even though it hasn’t even been a day, Taekwoon’s worried.
(pg13, canonverse, angst, horrible horrible angst, i should really learn to love myself)
- Unlock: Hakyeon is so close to his goal, so close to his constant ache being cured, but his travelling companions are making reaching his destination a little more complicated than he would like. (pg13, magicverse+bandits!AU, subtle neo)
- Reticent: Taekwoon’s world exists in quiet moments. (pg, canonverse, hurt/comfort, leo-centric, more about leo’s introversion than neo but I like it a lot because of how much I am able to relate to it)
- Repose: Sometimes it gets harder to drown out life. (pg, canonverse, companion piece to the Reticent, with more pronounced neo)
- Carrot-Scented Hand Cream: “You always talk about how other people smell, but you’ve never told me how I smell. Like you said Wonsik smells like feet and Hongbin smells like too much lotion…”
(g, florist!AU + bunny!leo, fluff)
Ok so I mentioned that I don’t read smut but in certain circumstances, I force myself to sit through it. This is caused by either wips that start off as pg but then veer into nc-17 and I’m in too deep to back out or an intriguing enough plot/summary that makes me convince myself that I can handle it (I’m wrong. Every time.) I still don’t read the sexy bits though (I skim until I don’t see any “danger” words anymore, yes I’m that lame) so I can’t tell you if the smut is good or not (not that I’m able to tell even if I read it). Anyway:
- Just Can’t Control: Hakyeon’s sexuality is Jung Taekwoon’s new hair extensions for their new concept, Hyde, and the fact of that is killing him. (nc17, canonverse, hilariously self-absorbed sexually frustrated hakyeon, A+ humour)
- Cream Over Moon:
Hakyeon wouldn’t have guessed that a simple request to find a pet would turn out to be such a challenging job. And there’s more to his client than he initially thought- instead of just one, he ends up finding two cats. (r, urban fantasy!AU, idk the genre, adventure? mystery? whatever it is, it’s good)