bullion beads

And here it is…the full, finished piece. My pièce de résistance.

What I started at the beginning of February has finally come to a close. Definitely the longest I’ve spent on any costume. Every bead hand sewn. Every piece of gold bullion hand cut and sewn. Everything patterned by me.
It might not be perfect in a couple small spots, but I am so in love with it. I can’t wait to get my wig and makeup on.

So few people cosplay Faramir, and even fewer do the coronation look. Most just sew on a pre-made trim, and for damn good reason!! I say “most” like I’ve seen more than like two cosplayers with this costume, but I’m so happy to be a part of that small group and to portray Faramir and to try to do this costume justice. He deserves so much more love!

4

All the components of Faramir’s coronation outfit!

The bolero shirt took about 40 hours.
The surcoat was about 350 hours.
The breastplate and pauldrons were about 20 hours.
The cloak was about 120 hours.

Five months.
Over 500 hours.
2,300 inches of gold bullion = 62 yards = ½ the length of a football field.
10 yards of velvet.
850 yards of gold thread.
Approx. 13,000 beads.

The biggest undertaking I’ve done to date, and I love it and all the needle pricks and endless nights of rewatching old shows on Netflix while trying to get all this needlework finished.

10

Weekend progress log…

I am almost finished with flowers all the way up one side of Faramir’s surcoat! I’ll need about three more going to the center back of the collar, which will make it 17 flowers for each side. I’ve gotten a little quicker, but the flowers still take about an hour just for the gold bullion parts.

I showed a little step by step how I make a flower…
I baste down the design, then cut out the leaves, which I where I sew on the bullion.
Then I’ll add some beads to the flower to keep it on while I cut off the rest of the design.
I add the bottom leaf pieces.
Then I’ll fill in the flower which takes the longest amount of time. About half an hour for each one.
Lastly I add the beads for the stem and fill in the boarders with bullion.

Sunday night I beaded for 10 hours straight. Probably did about 25 hours of work over the weekend. It’s far from done, but I did get A LOT accomplished. And I am loving how gorgeous it looks!

Faramir’s surcoat is FINALLY finished.

After working actively on it for four months and spending 100′s of hours doing all that embroidery with the gold bullion and beading.  The past two weeks have been me working on it for at least 5 hours a day filling in the boarders.

I know I still have to make pauldrons and embroider the cloak, but the important thing is that there will be no filled-in boarder or beaded negative space.  It should take a fraction of the time this took.

The bottom is mine compared to the movie version.

This is certainly my most complex and beautiful piece, even though the garment itself is kinda boring and will be half-covered by the breastplate.

I don’t care though.  I’m so proud to have done it and even more happy to be finished.