Since I knew there was no way I could top last year’svalentines, I thought I’d make a Chrysalis one just for fun, but make it a little more “monstrous”. However, for some reason, I felt compelled to make it a humanoid version (an updated version of this), as opposed to a bugpony.
I decided to pull the design a little bit away from the insectoid/alien look, and a bit more towards some type of fae. I envision her hair having a texture like the membrane of a leaf (even though I’m not entirely sure how that would work). I’m not really sold on her neck at the moment, and might do something similar to how I did the neck on this (still one of my favorite things I’ve ever done). I made the horn more like that of a markhor goat, which I think is what the stylization in her canon design is actually meant to imply. And yes - I’m still sticking with the bifurcated mouth, because it’s delightfully horrifying.
But yeah…basically, I ended up working on something entirely different than I had originally planned.