I saw your comicverse slayers appreciation post and so far I've only read Buffy s8 and nothing else but I wanted to come scream about how much I loved Renee and how She Deserved Better !!!!
right!!! i mean, some Great Renee Things:
- she wears a single earring? she wears a feather earring in her right ear and nothing in the other, i Love…
- she likes comic books :’)
- “this isn’t exactly what i meant by ‘date.’ i was thinking something less… helicopter-y.”
- “i’m not leaving you alone with this guy.”
- she has No patience for dracula, which…. same
- the scene where she helps buffy/willow/xander trap that vamp?? and they walk away, backlit by the flames?? is everything.
- her death kind of…. exemplifies everything that is wrong with the buffyverse. i despise Wolves at the Gate.
- buffy/satsu could have been nice, but it’s immediately made awkward by Everyone Bursting Into Buffy’s Bedroom Unannounced, so uh
- that’s followed by super fun biphobia
- and then there’s dracula’s super gross overt racism & misogyny, which. why was that even a writing decision
- also. writing kickass scenes for two WOC - aiko and renee - and then immediately turning around and making them die violent and gruesome deaths for Shock Value?
- NEITHER OF THESE DEATHS WERE NECESSARY.
- cause. you know what would have been just as horrific? stripping aiko’s powers and then NOT killing her. scenario: aiko loses her powers, and, weakened, collapses to the ground. buffy finds her, and is Horrified when she realizes what happened & what they’re facing. you can have loss without stringing her up like a puppet, what the fuck!!!!
- and then there’s renee!!!!!
- this is a comic book, so they’re allowed to be more graphic in their depictions of violence. and they just. go for it. from the expression on renee’s dying face, to the scythe sticking out of her chest, to the way she’s literally being held up in the air, to the massive, massive amounts of blood, her death is Gruesome Horrific Awful. evidently, that’s what the creative team was shooting for. but…… why ?
- for a show about vampires, buffy has very few scenes that are actually bloody? and that’s something i’ve always respected about it. but they throw that away Because They Can, and we end up with scenes like this that are, frankly, dehumanizing.
- and for what? to cause xander more grief? as if he needs that??
- she didn’t need to die. her death did Not help to further the plot. it was entirely, Entirely, for shock value.
- you know what i would have liked? to see renee go on and spend more time with the other slayers. she could have been friends with satsu. (maybe she was! we’ll never know now.) she could have been That Girl who never shuts about her favourite superheroes, in an endearing way. she could even have joined the scooby gang - i think she and buffy would have gotten along great! if they wanted to write her out, there’s were a plethora of other options available. pretty sure they chose just about the worst one.