This is something I’ve been thinking about for several months, and I’d finally like to throw the idea out there.
Would anyone be interested in supporting/buying an art book featuring art and short stories created by members of the Buffy community on Tumblr?
I would be contributing both art (in the style of the header of this post) and writing, and am looking for other artists/writers as well as people who would like to support the project by purchasing it.
I would be orchestrating this project by creating the layout, getting the books printed, distributing them, etc.
At my local print shop it would cost ~$25 CAD to print a full-colour, 50 page book with softcover binding. My suggested price for the completed book is $30 USD, and a backing of $60 USD would sponsor 1 story or piece of art. (Character/ship/situation of your choosing.)
Please consider reblogging this post to get the word out! If there is enough interest, I will set up a Kickstarter - really hope this works out! And if you would like to contribute to the book, please get in touch with me, @lesbidar, via IM! Thank you so much!
10. Anne Bonny (Black Sails) Anne is a great character and pretty much the only reason I watched all of Black Sails. She is a fierce no-nonsense fighter (one of the best in this series), extremely loyal to those she cares about, and subtly complex. Her relationships with both Rackham and Max made the show for me.
9. Paula Proctor (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a tragically underrated show and Paula is one of the most underrated characters on it. She is a steadfast and supportive friend but incredibly human in how she makes mistakes trying to find happiness for herself and those she loves. Her snark and character development make a great companion for the wonderful shit show that is Rebecca Bunch.
8. Lagertha (Vikings) Lagertha is a strong fighter on the battlefield, in the political arena, and in her personal relationships. She never allows society and the people around her to dictate how she lives her life. Further, she is a compassionate person and often combines this empathy with a clear minded wisdom that has aided her throughout the series. Seeing her carve out her own place in the world has been one of the best parts of Vikings
7. Fish Mooney (Gotham) Fish Mooney was far and away the best of Gotham’s female characters. Fish is unapologetically herself and allows no one to stand in the way of what she wants. Possessing a strong will, level head, and mind for strategy, she ruthlessly overtakes her enemies. Yet, more than many of the villains in Gotham she is able to cultivate a following based solely on her skill at protectively nurturing those who show her loyalty and violently pursuing those who betray her.
6. April Ludgate (Parks and Recreation) April’s bizarre personality, dry and sarcastic sense of humor, and the depth with which she feels friendship and love put her at number six. Though all the characters on Parks and Recreation are amazing, every line April speaks is gold. I love her deadpan delivery and fascination with the macabre. She is one of the funniest characters on the show and one that I strongly relate to.
5. Deandra ‘Sweet Dee’ Reynolds (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) Dee is one of the most debauched, vulgar, and depraved women on television, and that’s what makes her so great. She highlights a new side of the female character and allows women to be as fallible and selfish as their male counterparts. Watching her swear, get violent, beg for validation, and generally interact with the rest of the gang continues to be some of the best parts of the show.
4. Anya Jenkins (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) Anya’s straightforward and often blunt personality won me over right away. I love the unique brand of humor she brings to the show. With her history as a vengeance demon and exploration of what it means to be human she could have been so much more than she was. Anya is ‘surprisingly sensitive’, loyal, and insightful. Any scene that includes her is instantly improved.
3. Raquel (Crazyhead) It’s a testament to how much I like this character given that there are only 6 episodes of Crazyhead. Raquel is truly a ‘kick arse hell bitch’, but her propensity for vulgarity and humor never takes away from her rich emotional composition. It is exciting to see how she balances her sensitive but tough, fearless but insecure nature. I cannot recommend this show highly enough, and Raquel is certainly one the reasons it is worth watching.
2. Kelly Maxwell (Ash vs. Evil Dead) I love all the characters on AvED, but Kelly has been the standout female character for me. She is always willing to call Ash out on his bullshit or rip the face off a deadite in a deli slicer, and her attitude on the show is unmatched. She is fiercely independent, but cares for her friends even as she struggles to find meaning and her place in the world. Her experiences have brought out her volatile temper and a reckless streak, but they have also shown her to have a sharp wit and protective side. Seeing Kelly fight, curse, and figure her life out in a world full of darkness and violence are just a few of the many things that makes this show and this character totally and completely badass.
1. Cara Mason (Legend of the Seeker) It should be no surprise that Cara tops my list at number one. She is a kick ass warrior, sassy as hell, and a fictional feminist icon. Though all the female characters in Legend of the Seeker are amazing in their own right, Cara’s transformation from hardline Mord’Sith to ally and friend of both the Seeker and Mother Confessor is subdued but extremely well done. She consistently shows herself to be a deeply complex person, capable of a wide array of emotions. She is true to herself, even as she realizes that she is changing. She is true to those around her, even if trust and respect do not come immediately. She is true to her beliefs and her principles but not dogmatic in her adherence. She speaks her mind, does not apologize for doing what she thinks is right, and has a keen mind and brave heart. Cara will always be my favorite fictional character, and it is impossible for me to succinctly list all the reasons why she is deserving of that position.
Sorry this got so long! I tried to keep it concise, but I just love these characters so much.