Neil Patrick Harris delighted a packed audience at 92Y on May 27 when he sat down to discuss his multifaceted career with Jonathan Tisch. The showbiz renaissance man, perennial award show host, and Tony Award winner reflected on his child-star beginnings as Doogie Howser, M.D. through his meteoric rise to fame and up to his recent stint at Oscar host. Here are five things we learned.
1. Harris is cool with Doogie Howser, M.D. “I’m really appreciative of that chapter,” he said, before quickly adding, “The name sucks.”
2. He stalked David Burtka. When he met his future husband through a mutual friend, NPH was immediately taken with him and showed up at bars where he knew Burtka would be. “Oh hey, fancy seeing you here!” Harris said. “Like a vulture, I circled.”
3. Gone Girl director David Fincher made a lasting impression on Harris. “I kind of have a boner for David Fincher. Not a real boner; like, an actor boner.”
4. He’s annoyed you didn’t like the How I Met Your Mother finale. “I was a big fan of the ending of that show and a lot of people weren’t and it annoyed me,” Harris said. He did offer some insight into Barney’s fate though. “He probably lives vicariously through his daughter and treats her like a queen. He probably ends up dying of over consumption.”
5. Hosting the Oscars was “super duper hard.” NPH hosted the 87th Academy Awards ceremony last February and spoke about the experience with a sense of exhaustion. “The Oscars were really hard by design,” Harris said, citing the awards-circuit fatigue of the nominees by the time Hollywood’s biggest night approaches. He spoke about “the amount of time and energy spent on every second of it” and how segments that have been in the works for so long can fall apart at the last moment. “But you look really good with your shirt off,” interjected Tisch, to great laughter. We couldn’t agree more.