Actresses Crystal Reed and Holland Roden attend CW Network’s 2013 Young Hollywood Awards presented by Crest 3D White and SodaStream held at The Broad Stage in Santa Monica, California - August 1, 2013.
- I joined the debuting team even though my training period was short. I felt that I was lacking and even if it was a short period I had to work hard to enter that team. I was happy because my efforts paid”
- I wanted to become a singer since 4th grade and I would even tell my friends that I was going to become a celebrity. And when I started taking auditions, I failed for other companies and after getting into high school, I was preparing to advance into a university with a music impact but oddly enough, the opportunity came to me. The day I went to take my exams, I was pretending to be a musician in that I was holding the music notes in front of the school and relaxing my vocals when someone suddenly tapped my back. I’m not sure if I can call this a luck of thousand years, but that’s how I was fatefully casted into SM.
- I want to become an all-rounded artiste, my family is very concerned and takes good care of my health~!
- When I feel like I am lacking something, I monitor people who are good at it and learn. That is why I wasn’t shaking while thinking ‘this is scary what should I do,’ but because instead I let out a war cry, 'I will fight with this!’ while looking at the camera, I feel like I was able to overcome it faster.
- I declared it to my parents when I was 11 years old. I told them that I didn’t think I would be able to work sitting in an office, because I’m very lively by nature and I cannot stay still in one spot. I would sing along to the songs that came out on TV and my friends would tell me that I was good, so because of that I wanted very much to try it out. Then, in the sixth year of elementary school, I saw singer Rain sunbaenim and I officially developed my dream of being a singer. I thought he was very handsome when I saw the broad stage being filled up just by his powerful presence.
I originally have the kind of character that is not afraid of strangers. Even if someone gives of the vibe that they do not like me, I would still be friendly towards them. And I will like anyone who has basic manners. You seem to receive love in particular when you greet your sunbaenims well.
I do not like tensed atmospheres. If the atmosphere seems languid, I will chatter noisily. I actually did not know what it means to be depressed when I was younger. I thought, “Is it that unpleasant feeling I get when it rains?” If someone seems down, I would talk with no purpose and make them laugh. Because if you do not extinguish the depressing thoughts quickly, your heart will keep getting heavier and then it will be difficult to overcome them in the future.
More than any other things, I want to be better at singing. Because I wanted to be a singer from the beginning. I want to sing so well that people who listen will go “Wow!” and be in admiration. Without too much flourish or techniques, but someone who is able to sing effortlessly and relatably [to people]. Though I do not have the opportunity of singing alone yet, I hope that I will be able to let many people listen to my songs in the future.
My lucky charm is this bracelet that was given to me buy a noona I really like. She’s my trainer and she gave me this bracelet during a slump I had before this (wolf) comeback. I was worried and had a lot of thoughts about singing. She gave me this bracelet to become the fearless Baekhyun I once was.
- For instance, if someone got a move wrong, I make everyone laugh by expressing that more ridiculously. It’s not like I say something funny and make the atmosphere better. (laughter)
- To be honest, i was having a really hard time when we were preparing for Exoluxion concert. But after meeting fans like this and seeing your facial expressions, all my exhaustion vanished. I felt like my efforts were paid off and that makes me happy.
- Lay hyung is often doing activities in China, the time he spend with his members is not much and he feels very sorry towards us. But there is actually nothing to feel sorry for, there is no need to apologise.
- I don’t suffer any setbacks because of the time difference. I wake up and go about when the sun rises, and I know when the sun sets so I sleep well. The state of getting enough sleep is great. Getting sleep during our promotional activities is the most difficult. We didn’t sleep for about 2~3 days consecutively when we were shooting the music video for ‘Growl’. These days, if I have a shooting/filming early in the morning, I can’t sleep well either. My face actually swells a lot. If I don’t get good sleep, my face becomes very swollen.
- (How do you relieve stress?) I exercise until I can’t worry any more. Otherwise, I would go into the car and shout. And I would also focus on a game that doesn’t require any thinking. If I’m in the dorm, I mainly enjoy playing computer games. I’m similar to the guys my age.
When I first became a trainee, the hyungs said that I was pretty funny when they saw me. A trainee who had just entered the company would normally not do anything and stay quiet, but I really didn’t rest to stop talking. So then the hyungs and friends around me were curious of me. And so I think that was how we became close quickly. Truthfully, I’m not the kind to be discouraged anywhere I go.
- There was a year of nothingness after ‘MAMA’ activities’, until the comeback of ‘Wolf’. It was during that time that I reached a slump. It was fortunate that it wasn’t the peak of our promotional activities. Because I debuted right after a relatively short trainee period, I crashed too fast. So, for a year, I strove hard to do songs and dances as though I was trainee. Even now, when I have free time, I would practice. Because we don’t have time to go to the practice room, I would sing songs in the car as we get to places. I sing to the extent of people around me telling me I am noisy. Since we are too busy preparing for our award ceremony performance right now, I’m thinking of practicing dancing even harder, starting next year. Shim Jaewon hyung, who directs the performances, says that since I’m great at my expressiveness, he recommends to guide me step by step on how to learn the very basics of dancing.
- I drove a tractor before. Because my grandmother lives in Gangwondo Yanggu, so when I was little I went to the countryside a lot with my father. I remembered that I stepped on the pedal before when I was on the tractor, I had my safety belt buckled.
For me music is something that stays by my side always, when I am having a hard time, when I am tired, when I am lonely, when I am sad, when I am joyous, when I am happy.
It’s so simple, but also so difficult. I want all people of the world to be happy, unconditionally.
- (What kind of singer do you wish to be?) A singer that communicates a message. Vocalisation is important, making pretty sound is important, but most of all, when you sing there must be a story you want to tell. Even if the notes sometime go shaky, I want to put meaning into my singing. Rather than thinking “I’ll bend this note here and use this technique here”, I try to sing with the goal of moving people’s hearts, even just one.
- I relieve stress by always smiling!^^ I try to smile even when I’m angry, when things are hard. And I smile so others can see & get energy from me, because I’m LIGHT!
[TRANS] ELLE November issue - interview with Baekhyun
When the news of EXO’s volcanic fandom came to us last year, I asked the young ladies around us. “Why is EXO so popular?” A junior answered that she has ‘fallen’ for EXO. “Sunbae, look at them first. You’ll be hooked!” And on a day in 2015, while I was flipping through the TV channels, I watched EXO’s performance on their new song. I couldn’t look away from the nimble performance of these male idols who look alike but are so different, pwerfully and sophisticatedly coming together and spreading out repeatedly. This year, there were many opportunities for the non-fans of the public to get a sense of the
capability or worth of EXO, the global worldwide group that was rumoured to be a legend. The presence of each and every member had also became clearer. Baekhyun promised to proceed with his first individual pictorial as ELLE commemorates their 23rd anniversary since the first published issue. We were informed beforehand that he is called a ‘Beagle Idol’ because of his particularly bright and cheerful image, but the 24-year-old young man that we met at the filming scene was well-mannered and senseful, and evoked good impressions. Despite this being the first photoshoot that he had taken alone, the filming went by without an awkward moment. He was also aware of what the editor wanted even before directions were given and moved proactively. The most impressive thing out of all was the positive energy that influenced liveliness even on the sharp(!) editor! Baekhyun left us to practice for the concert that will be happening in Korea’s very first dome stage-like Gocheok Sky Dome during this coming weekend. He even left us with a well-mannered bow that might have had his body folded in half at the waist.
You are born in 1992, aren’t you? Do you think that today’s meeting is destiny? I heard ELLE Korea’s first published issue was in 1992 too. It’s an honour to have my first individual shoot in ELLE. Though the shots weren’t little, it felt like pictures were being taken really fast. When I have photoshoots together with the members, it feels like time passes really very slowly. Because even if just one person has his eyes closed among the eight, we have to do another take.
You are 24 in Korean age. But truthfully, you look a lot younger. I look younger than my age most of the time. The members are all in their mid 20′s. These days, there are many groups that start off in their teens but when we debuted, we weren’t all that young.
Without realising it, it has already been 4 years since EXO debuted. I still cannot forget our first debut showcase. I actually don’t get that nervous at anything. I thought, “Just do it like I’m practicing and everything will be alright.” However, when I heard the fans’ yells as the intro video appeared, a shudder ran through my body from head to toe. Even when I am tired, my exhaustion goes away when I stand on the stage. It must be a habit.
When did you start thinking you have to be a singer? I declared it to my parents when I was 11 years old. I told them that I didn’t think I would be able to work sitting in an office, because I’m very lively by nature and I cannot stay still in one spot. I would sing along to the songs that came out on TV and my friends would tell me that I was good, so because of that I wanted very much to try it out. Then, in the sixth year of elementary school, I saw singer Rain sunbaenim and I officially developed my dream of being a singer. I thought he was very handsome when I saw the broad stage being filled up just by his powerful presence.
You’re said to the member with the shortest training period in the team. While on my way to take the entrance examination for Seoul Arts University, I was casted in front of the school, and when I debuted, it had not yet been a year since I entered in the company. I am thankful to the members more than anything. They were already a formed team that was just finding their identity, but everyone took me in welcomingly. They were never unfriendly to me at all.
Was it not because of your unique sociability? I orginally have the kind of character that is not afraid of strangers. Even if someone gives of the vibe that they do not like me, I would still be friendly towards them. And I will like anyone who has basic manners. You seem to receive love in particular when you greet your sunbaenims well.
Where did you learn that way of life? I learnt it naturally in school. There are many celebrities who couldn’t experience school life fully but I was lucky that I became a trainee after finishing both middle and high school. I identify with the saying “School is a small society” as I work. It really feels like I am in school whenever I am with the members.
You’re said to be the team’s mood maker. Do you like entertaining the people around you? I do not like tensed atmospheres. If the atmosphere seems languid, I will chatter noisily. I actually did not know what it means to be depressed when I was younger. I thought, “Is it that unpleasant feeling I get when it rains?” If someone seems down, I would talk with no purpose and make them laugh. Because if you do not extinguish the depressing thoughts quickly, your heart will keep getting heavier and then it will be difficult to overcome them in the future.
So when you troubles, you…? I will talk to the members about it. I do not keep it inside. Even if I will not find a solution, I would still feel lighter by just sharing it with someone. The members are not the kind of friends to mindlessly spread whatever we talk about wherever they go. To have friends I am able to share my heart with is a really happy thing.
You had a role as an MC on a special broadcoast during the long holiday for Chuseok. If you were to comment on your own qualities as an MC…? I could not help but look like a guest because I was emceeing together with the veteran sunbaes (laughs). I came back learning a lot. I realised that to become a good MC in particular, there are a lot of things I need to know. Both Kim Gura and Yoo Seyoon sunbaenim could talk easily about any topic. I really have to read more books too. This is embarrassing but when it comes to books, I remember only a few that I read in middle school. I am not good at doing things that are sedate. I am the type that likes to try doing this and that.
Something that you enjoy the most these days is…? I like games the most. Haha. I exercise a lot these days too. To be honest, the first day I went to the gym, it was so tough that almost gave up. But I persevered through the hardships and after doing it a few times, the feeling of showering afterwards is really nice. I would like to recommend this to people who are troubled over dieting (laughs).
Something new you want to learn or something you want to do better than you do now? More than any other things, I want to be better at singing. Because I wanted to be a singer from the beginning. I want to sing so well that people who listen will go “Wow!” and be in admiration. Without too much flourish or techniques, but someone who is able to sing effortlessly and relatably [to people]. Though I do not have the opportunity of singing alone yet, I hope that I will be able to let many people listen to my songs in the future.
The EXO song you personally really like is…? ‘Love Me right’. Because it is a song with a funky vibe, everyone would be hyped. I think it brings out our real selves on the stage. In reality, the members are all somewhat carefree. Now that there is a song that matches with our natural selves as compared to the intense kind of song ‘Wolf’ is, you can feel the members jumping around because they are excited.
This year you were doing promotional activities diligently. Because of that, there are many opportunities for the public to find out the appeal and capabilities of a group like EXO. I really do not know how time passed so fast. It felt like yesterday that we filmed the teaser video for ‘Call Me Baby’ and waited for the album to be released, but it is now already October that our repackaged album has come out and have had our concert. We did not perform much in music programs but I feel like we had many activities here and there. It was very fun. It feels good to EXO as a whole and to the members as individuals.
When did you feel that your popularity is ‘tremendous’? When I hear the fans’ shouts. It is because our fans raise their voices with all they have when we go to a concert venue or an awards ceremony. Though I am grateful about receiving so much love, it is not our goal for our current popularity to stay as it is. Among the members, we say “Boys, what are all of you doing? We need to be better” a lot to each other.
But is there a higher position? You are the group that sells the most albums this year in South Korea though We have to really be number one in South Korea. The thought of being at the top is really… I have not been there even once. It still feels like we are rookies. Wherever we go, we politely greet our sunbaes and the staff, and when we monitor ourselves together after leaving the stage, we go “Why is our dance like this? Let’s practice more.” It is good to have this kind of teamwork and attitude we have now where we are not prideful and where we strive to move forward.
Fire on two legs. Both a Gryffindor and ESFP archetype. "All the world´s a stage". Broad gestures and a firm voice. They like to entertain because sharing is caring, and making a bold statement is what many of them prefer. Although in many moments, they struggle with the burden of being `brave´ that their house imposes on them. Quick in befriending someone. Among all types and houses, they possess the highest energy. Argumentative. Class clown or class representative. Or both. Their greatest fears: being alone, betrayal, boredom. Avid fans of Hufflepuff INFPs.
Life acrobats. "Illusion is the first of all pleasures" -Oscar Wilde. Among all ESFPs, those are the dreamiest. They often find refuge online or in games, which bring out their inner voice telling them, "Escape". They can sit there for hours, focused. Might open a study group with a Gryffindor ESFJ when school just gets too tough. Cozy people. Gifted in music and drawing - struggling to find a career suitable for these talents. Usually accompanied by their siblings because their parents made them the `responsible one´. They possess a warm and steadfast aura.
"Gaining knowledge is the first step to wisdom. Sharing it is the first step to humanity". Ravenclaw ESFPs love the rain. And the thunder. These people are stuck on Youtube. Probably watching dance tutorials and random comedy. And intense piano pieces because that´s what their soul is aching for in a world so sterile and subdued. Ravenclaw is about knowing, but that also includes facts of sentiment. That´s exactly how the ESFP Ravenclaw tumblr blog looks like, it is a dedication to the signs on their journey. Usually meets their Hufflepuff ENFP at 3 pm at the library.
"The greatest thing you´ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." Unlike their Gryffindor counterparts, Slytherin ESFPs don´t bother solitude. They use it to their advantage to tread the inward path. Sometimes, opportunism tempts them. Those are the teens who don´t sleep at night and sneak out. It´s no surprise that they befriend Ravenclaw INTJs (fellow night owls) often. Deepak Chopra and many other spiritual authorities are typical ESFP Slytherins. Slytherin deals with the hidden and everything out of grasp, the dark; the ESFPs of this house are treasure boxes, some of them harboring a blue soul. They look up to many role models, and do whatever it needs to overtake them in status, sooner or later.
Watch The Last of Us: One Night Live-performance Monday, July 28
I love great video game stories. Today, the narrative potential of our medium has never been greater. The best video games blend world-class acting, writing, music and gameplay to create art that rivals the best works in other entertainment mediums.
To celebrate that point, I’m excited to announce an experimental project I’ve been working on with Naughty Dog and PlayStation.
On Monday July 28th, one of last year’s most acclaimed games, The Last of Us, will come to the theatrical stage in Los Angeles for a special one-night-only performance.
One Night Live will highlight the artistry behind The Last of Us with a live reading of select scenes by the principal actors, under the direction of Neil Druckmann from Naughty Dog. Scheduled to appear are Troy Baker, Ashley Johnson, Merle Dandridge, Hana Hayes, and Annie Wersching. In addition, Academy Award winning composer Gustavo Santaolalla will perform selections from his score. How this all fits together will remain a bit of a mystery until it happens, but trust me when I say it will be a very special evening.
This one-time-only performance will be staged at the Broad Stage in Santa Monica on Monday, July 28 at 7 PM PT. PlayStation fans who will be in the area that evening can secure free tickets to attend the performance in person. Check the PlayStation Facebook page for details on how to register.
If you can’t join us in Santa Monica, select portions of the program will be streamed live around the world on Twitch, YouTube and PlayStation Network’s Live Event Viewer. And while it goes without saying, the event will include some story spoilers.
I hope you’ll join us on July 28th to celebrate The Last of Us and the creativity of the people behind it.