Annual family girls trip to Charlottesville, which as always is full of good food and weird finds in adorable shops, and coffee, and making Very Pointed Eye Contact with my sister whenever anyone starts talking about their diets like we’re on The Office.
But like, the light here is SO GOOD. And our room is perfect. So.
had to start organizing my bookshelf at home to see what i should bring to grad school. figured i’d post this mess; maybe you’ll learn something about me from the books i read/want to read.
top image: more or less essential textbooks i need in my office bookshelf
second row: less important but still sciencey stuff (though nietzsche snuck in there somehow). the book without a name in the left image is a (photocopied?) old review of pulsars from the 80s that i found lying around my department’s “take this please” bookshelf at columbia.
third row: non-science and more public interest books. i discovered today that a few of these books have annotations from as far back as middle school, which are really fun to read through now. the unlabeled book at the bottom of the right image is a published collection of essays from my high school ap lang class, and about halfway up (right above a doll’s house) is “Quantum Physics for Babies” (a book i got as a joke present while i was taking quantum i, at around the same time mark zuckerberg posted a picture of himself and priscilla reading the book to their daughter).
Confirmed: Kirishima Bunbun Number 1 has a bun baking in the oven. Also she ate a hamburger bun and okay I really should just stop with trying to force bun puns
I have so many things to say about this.
1) The baby is conceived from a half-ghoul and a full-ghoul, which would make it a three-quarters ghoul. I would assume that it would have more ghoul traits than human traits, so I don’t understand why Touka has to eat human food to nourish it. I mean, Kaneki freaking found out about his ghoulification by not being able to eat human food anymore. So if that trait is dominant in him, and obviously in Touka, then shouldn’t the baby be able to take in nutrients from ghoul food aka human meat?
2) From a narrative standpoint, sure, there’s a lot of drama to be had by Touka suffering just so she can bear a healthy child, but wouldn’t it be just as dramatic if the main conflict of this subplot was Touka trying to find a way for her body not to absorb her child? That’s more plausible given what we know about ghoul biology, barring what I just said previously about it being more ghoul than human in any case.
…unless of course it’s revealed that eating human food would make her less likely to absorb her child idk. But that plot thread’s way too implausible.
3) Also, from a nutrition standpoint, HAMBURGERS ARE NOT NUTRITIOUS, TOUKA. YOU HAD A CHEF FOR A BEST FRIEND. ALSO NISHIKI, YOU WERE FREAKIN’ STUDYING PHARMACY AT UNI, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER. God. Tsukiyama will probably have an aneurysm, you uncultured swine.
4) Okay, how ‘bout the fact that this special type of pregnancy opens up a huge discussion in ghoul biology? Ishida has to explain a ton of things with regards to reproduction, intrauterine growth and development, genetics, and ohmygod my geek is showing.
5) Speaking of biology, I wonder if the fact that Touka initially wanted to study biology in Uni is going to be addressed? As I said, she’s involved in a very special type of pregnancy, she’s basically her own grad school thesis tbh.
6) BRINGING KIMI BACK TO THE STORY WOULD BE SUCH A BIG HELP RN??? She was heavily implied to be an integral part of that pro-ghoul human organization, which also specializes in ghoul health. She’s a medical student. Wouldn’t she be the best OBGYN for Touka? And Nishiki’s also helping Touka. I just want them to get back together already.
7) Also does this mean Touka’s going to be sidelined in the fighting again? I mean getting stabbed and healing from that is one thing, but it’s another thing if your uterus gets stabbed while your still developing child is inside. Unless one of the first things that develop in a ghoul fetus is the healing factor. Idk. Ghoul biology, guys.
Anyway, I feel like there are a lot of fixes for Touka’s little BUNdle of joy that’s the last bun pun I promise but Ishida’s playing it up because drama.
don't you think that men are usually dominant and women submissive in sex because it's reality of biology? Is it really misogynistic to acknowledge men usually being bigger + their strength makes them more suited to being the dominate one in these situations. men being capable of penetration and usually being larger and stronger means that sexual domination is their biological imperative and women are biologically docile and obedient and want to be hurt? female brain is submissive inferior.
Men are sexually dominant? I run into so many sexually submissive men who just wanna lay at my feet and do all my bidding it’s literally infuriating 😂😂😂. I have so many men begging me to Dom them I literally don’t have the time and I hate saying no to the money. I have a main who does my cooking, brings me breakfast in bed and does my washing Cuz grad school has me so busy. He’s also on call for anything else i may need. My fave part? They love it and I’m not giving any of these losers a drop of pussy. All they want is a cute girl to slap em around, degrade them and take their money 🤷🏾♀️
I had a revelation before my crossfit class last night (that was a very LA and very gaybro statement). I am the healthiest I have ever been. Still a journey, but at least the boy gets to enjoy the benefits.
As I reflect today, I’m reminded that growing older means that I have to consider the totality of my responsibilities. Between my mom, my brother + SIL, and myself, I am the de facto family caretaker. Our health preoccupies my mind constantly, and I am dedicating myself to getting my family to seek out help from our doctors.
I worry about my finances and career, but it will take some dedication and time. When I marry the boy, we’ll be a bit better off, but both of us will be repaying student loans for the foreseeable future. We talk homebuying and babies more regularly now, but things won’t kick into gear until he finishes grad school. I need my PT daddy to bring in that PT money.
Time continues and I hope to remind myself to appreciate life a bit more.
08.01.17 : Went out and bought a couple of notebooks in preparation for my first semester of online graduate courses; I’m so excited to be starting this new adventure and can’t wait to see what the next couple years bring!
(Based on my own grad school experiences/having very thin walls in my apartment building)
-*offended whisper* “Why don’t you look at me during?* “What the fuck dude? Have you been watching Game Grumps again?” “THAT’S NOT THE POINT AND YOU KNOW IT!”
-”It’s three am and I’m making pot brownies because what is life anymore even? Let’s just eat the chocolate and chill out until we die.”
-”KNOCK KNOCK CHUCKLEFUCKS! LET’S TALK ABOUT DISNEY PRINCESS FILMS AND THE EVOLUTION OF THE BULLSHIT DAMSEL IN DISTRESS!”
-*slams a thermos of gin and tonic on the table* “So before we go through our writing group critique, I feel like we all need some of this.” “Getting drunk at eleven in the morning? Now we’re real writers!”
What is a song or music video that inspires you? Why? Use hashtags, memes, gifs, or just plain old words to explain why. I chose Kesha’s “Bastards” because it reminds me of how strong I had to be in high school and even college and grad school when naysayers tried to bring me down or “steal my crown”.
summary: The prospect of staying in her parents home for two weeks at Chirstmastime is something Sansa has been dreading for months now, especially since she couldn’t convince a single friend from NYU to join her. Instead she is planning on wallowing in self pity at their family home in Maine until she gets on her flight to Atlanta to meet up with Margaery for their road trip to Miami.
That is until her brother Robb brings home his grad school buddy Jon Snow, who is much cuter than expected for a guy who wants to teach high school history.
Blame it on the lights, presents or cookies her mother bakes.
Blame it on the snow, decorations or the Winter Jack Daniels Robb spikes her hot apple cider with.
Blame it on the mistletoe they get caught under after a few days of embarrassingly awkward encounters, red faced blushes and longing glances.
Whatever it is, it’s enough to cause Sansa to call Margaery with a change in plans, to cancel her flight and to stay in Maine until her semester starts at NYU.
Maybe being home for the holidays isn’t such a dreadful thing after all.
So my friend was in our school’s library this morning getting some coffee when he looked back to see the pope chilling in one of the aisles of the library.
As you can probably tell, this is not the real pope, but a cardboard cutout of the pope that my school has and brings to literally every school event (including my grad retreat, where they literally just propped him up at every meal, meeting, game, group photo, etc.). For Halloween, the principal moved him from the display case in the front of our school into his office and propped him up by the window so when you would walk by, all you saw was the pope staring at you through the blinds.
Last week the pope somehow went missing, but nobody really questioned it, we kinda just figured he was in some classroom somewhere. So this morning when my friend saw him in the library, staring at him from the shadows, he asked our principal why the pope was just chilling in the shadows in the library. Our principal looks at him and, without questioning the reason for the pope’s whereabouts, he says “Oh, I was actually looking for that.” He left the pope there all day and never spoke another word of it.
Quite frankly, I don’t even know why we have a cardboard cutout of Pope Francis in our school, we just do, and nobody really questions it.