hartwin + thief/cop AU
- Eggsy’s just an ordinary London cop doing standard patrol and putting money in the bank for the flat he shares with his mum and sister—Dean cut his losses once Eggsy graduated from the academy and took his friends with him—when he gets an alert about a break-in into one of the House of Lord’s homes. The resident starts bemoaning about being robbed, but is cagey when Eggsy starts asking exactly what the thieves stole.
- In less than twenty-four hours, the contents of the lord’s phones, laptop, and tablet reveal career-ending scandals ranging from cheating on his wife of thirty years to helping tip the PM election, along with some shady deals that involve shaking hands with international criminals. Eggsy’s pretty impressed and takes pleasure in being one of the cops to personally escort the man into custody.
- Soon, there’s a series of this sort of thing happening—seemingly upstanding citizen or total slimeball who knows how to take advantage of the system getting exposed around London. Court cases follow. Some of his fellow officers grumble about these people being judge and jury, but most seem like “eh, well deserved.” Eggsy’s not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but he’s pretty curious about who these vigilantes are and might, might want to help. Not like they need it.
- By luck and wit, Eggsy digs up Chester King, former tailor shop owner who ran a more lower-end shop out of business, and was hit with charges of embezzling, extortion, bribery, coercion, and typical charges of white collar crime. His gut says it’s the same sort of thing he’s dealing with, only more personal. Who was the father? A Charles Harold Hart. And it looks like the son is still around, having taken over King’s tailor shop—
- Eggsy sneaks away and chats Harry up, a fit bloke who seems like an ordinary tailor. But in time, it’s revealed exactly what’s going on, and Harry shows off the secret headquarters—secret headquarters—with some grouchy tech guy who scowls at Harry for bringing in “any young, handsome thing who HAPPENS TO BE A COP” and a cheerful set of people who like exposing London’s “finest,” including a lady the same age as he who takes him down at hand-to-hand. Harry’s office is plastered with a lot of his own “jobs,” and Eggsy’s a bit shocked to see Dean Anthony Baker, local drug dealer, on them.
- And that’s how Eggsy becomes Kingsman’s man on the inside.