brandon obrien

- NFL DRAFT HOPEFUL RE-INLISTS IN MARINES AFTER BOSTON MARATHON BOMBING - Brandon O’Brien was hoping to sign with an NFL team this season after serving four years in the Marine Corps.

After Monday’s Boston Marathon explosions, though, O’Brien decided to re-enlist, according to Andy Fenelon of NFL.com. O’Brien’s agent told Fenelon that Monday’s events “left a big hole in his heart.”

The 30-year-old previously walked on to the University of Kentucky football team in 2000, according to a feature from Yahoo! Sports. After quitting the sport to help out monetarily at home, O’Brien enlisted in the Marines in 2005.

After serving, the wide receiver enrolled at Montana State Northern University and set school records for touchdowns in a game, receiving yards in a game and receiving touchdowns in a season. O’Brien participated in the NFL’s regional combine in Houston, Tex., on Feb. 16 and at Montana State Northern University’s pro day on March 18.

New England Sports Network reports O'Brien was hoping to make a roster as a special teams player. In March, he told Yahoo that if his professional football dreams didn’t pan out, he had other plans.

“I’d be totally happy with my life serving my country,” he said.

Now that is a true example of what a hero is. (Photo: USA Today Sports)