Can we talk about the fact that by the time she died at age 22, AALIYAH —
I mean, do I need to finish that? I guess I can. Here are a few brief ways that AALIYAH like nobody since:
- Aaliyah, which debuted at no. 2
- a leading role in Romeo Must Die
- executive producer of the Romeo Must Die soundtrack
- four songs on the Romeo Must Die soundtrack (oh, Destiny’s Kids was somewhere on there)
- Queen of the Damned
- 2 VMAs and a Grammy nom for “Try Again”
- set to act (I said act, cuz you know some R&B divas get confused) in The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, Honey, and Sparkle
- “Are You That Somebody?” Period.
- One In A Million, and lemme remind y'all about this album for those who didn’t get home from school and see this young woman giving graaaace to BET: "Hot Like Fire,“ "One in a Million,” “If Your Girl Only Knew,” “4 Page Letter,” and “The One I Gave My Heart To”
- She touched people’s hearts and was the center of a community of artists. I mean she wasn’t up there at the top like “Sorry, this mine, and who are you anyway?” She was a person, not a brand.
- Features and collabos like nobody’s business. (See 10)
- that midriff, those baggy pants, the bangs. image. originality.
Bonus: back, back, forth and forth
I’m just sayin.