Wig Hack Wednesday #4 !
Today I wanna introduce a no-sew-no-glue method to add volume to your wig with a jumbo braid (or braiding hair). Using this method will save you time and money because you’ll be getting more bang for your buck! Jumbo braids are pretty cheap and can range from around $2-$8 depend on quality of the hair fiber. Usually, they are used to add thickness to braid hairstyles, but you can use it for any “big-hair” hairstyle, really. Be careful when using hair dryer or heat tools with jumbo braids because they cannot stand as much heat-styling as other wig fibers. For this tutorial, I’m using a jumbo braid in marshmallow from Arda Wigs.
- Untie the end of the jumbo braid. Separate and cut a small piece of weft from it. Keep in mind that you’ll need the piece to be double of the length you would want for the final product because you will be folding the piece in half.
- Use a crochet hook to go under the elastic band of the wig and grab the folded hair
- Bring the hook back through the same hole, making sure the latch closes before you pull it through the hole
- Grab the hair with your fingers, twist it once and hold
- Bring the hair from the hanging side and pull it through the twisted loop without tightening the loop
- Bring the loop to the opposite side and twist it again
- Pull the hair from the hanging side through the loop again
- Pull and tighten the knot so it’s as small as possible
- Keep adding more hair to the other elastics and different sections of the wig. You can tease it for more volume!
I used this method to make a Sage Madara (Naruto) wig and it produced great result with high volume but still very light-weight. I hope this helps you create cool wigs with super volume at low cost (looking at Steven Universe people…lol )
I just wanted to gather all these photos for future design if I ever you know…animate him or make a short comic. (unlikely to happen but anyway).
I do not own any of them and neither do I remember where I got them from (sorry). But I do think a vast majority of them are from pinterest so if you search for blonde braided hairstyles you should find them.