DBT Skills: Emotion Regulation
What are they?
Emotion Regulation skills teach you how to control your emotions. They’ll also help you effectively express your emotions as well as alter your emotional experiences when desired and/or necessary.
Why Do You Need Them?
Emotion Regulation is necessary for mental health. Harmful behavior patterns (suicidal acts, eating disorders, substance abuse issues, unhealthy relationships, etc.) are the result of faulty attempts of handling painful emotions.
Emotion Regulation Aims To Help You:
1.) Increase awareness and understanding of emotions
- Understand the function of your emotions
- Identify obstacles to changing your emotions
- Identify and label your emotions
2.) Change unwanted emotions
- Check the facts of a situation
- Problem solve
- Apply opposite action to emotions
3.) Reduce vulnerability deriving from emotions
- Accumulate positive emotions
- Build mastery
- Learn to cope ahead
- Take care of your body
4.) Learn to effectively manage powerful emotions
- Be mindful of your current emotion
- Identify your skills breakdown point
1. DBT Skills Training Manual Second Edition by Marsha Linehan (x)