I don't know much about Sam Adams. Would ya please tell me some of your fave facts about him? Thanks!
mmmMMM let’s see what i can do
- so most people remember sam adams for a) beer and b) the boston tea party. the funny thing is, he didn’t do either of these things. his branch of the adams family were maltsters, not brewers, and he didn’t throw any tea into the harbor either. some people try to claim that while he wasn’t present at the tea party, he organized it in some way, but y’know what, he probably didn’t
- some historians, like joseph ellis in first family, also say that he probably provoked the boston massacre so that he could make propaganda off it. i hope to hell that’s not true i mean jeez. people died, saMUEL
- he was pointedly okay with john adams defending the soldiers in the trial that followed the massacre, and thought it would be Good Publicity to show everyone that boston was not lawless and even hated redcoats could get a fair trial. there is a hint that he explicitly put the word out that people who weren’t okay with what john adams was doing were to leave him tf alone like?? can you imagine?? “hey guys don’t mob that nerd, he’s cool he’s also my bby cousin”
- couldn’t hold down a job bc he was too invested in politics
- he and john adams didn’t actually hate each other. upon meeting him, john adams thought he was great, dedicated to the cause, educated and truly Of The People. he just thought that sam should take more care of himself and his family and not put politics over that
- while many other founding fathers were rich, or at least somewhat wealthy, sam adams had like $3
- one time, some asshole tried to gift him a Black girl, y’know, as a slave. he and his wife were like *nervous laughter* “what is going on” and freed her. like can you imagine giving someone a human being as a gift??? perverse
- you know that copley portrait, the one of him in the red coat?? i always suspected that hancock commissioned it for him, bc sam adams hadn’t the money and just wasn’t the kind of person who would have a giant portrait made of himself. AND I WAS RIGHT. IT WAS TOTALLY HANCOCK
- the only thing that p much all sources agree on: sam adams didn’t dress well. his clothes were usually worn and out of fashion (he either couldn’t afford new ones or he just didn’t care) and he had to rely on the kindness of friends (probably hancock again) to buy nice stuff for him when he was going to philadelphia
- except for the journeys to congress, he never left new england in his life
- he and hancock kinda started out as mentor and protégé, being 15 years apart in age. they later had a huge falling out about…. idk, something, but they didn’t talk for several years. apparently sam adams was pissed that hancock was “acting like an aristocrat” or whatever. he was like super puritan and thought that a good leader in a republic had to be humble and not extravagant like hancock apparently was. it really distressed him that the people liked hancock anyway and kept electing him as governor. they reconciled tho and were antifeds together
- supported jefferson and the demrepublicans in 1800, didn’t give A Shit that the other guy in that election was his own cousin
- his sad demise in 1803 was the reason john adams was so scared of dementia
- i’ve got more!!!!