I have a question regarding writing which i was hoping you could answer. I have a lot of trouble coming up with a central idea for a story because at first it will sound good but then i don't know how to make a story out of it. So I was wondering if you have any tips to help me regarding getting inspiration for story ideas. you don't have to answer but it would help heaps! thank you for your time.
Hey there! I totally understand what you mean, and I can relate to your problem a lot. Here’s what I usually do:
• Get out a physical piece of paper. Brainstorm. Write down whatever comes to mind no matter how stupid it may sound. Characters, scenes, setting, events, etc. Anything.
• Think about other story ideas you’ve had. Even better, if you’ve recorded them somewhere, look at them. Decide whether those past ideas can be mashed with your current idea.
• Usually when I have the central idea for a story like you mentioned, it’s rooted in one scene that I keep thinking about and imagining even though there’s no story or explanation around it, like it’s floating through space. Write the scene.
• There are plenty of templates online that help you create the bare bones/ outline of a book. They make you ask yourself questions like “What does the character want?” or “What is the prupose of the story?” or “What is stopping the MC from reaching their goal?”. Write down potential answers.
• I’ve never done this before, but try making a flow chart of “what ifs”. What if (insert event) happened? What if the MC’s mom is a (blah blah blah)? Which branch or branches of the chart interests you the most? Focus on those.
• Talk to a friend about the idea you had. Bounce new ideas off of each other.
• Pretend you’re writing the words that go on the back cover/ inside flap of your book. It’s a blurb that gives enough to hook you in but not enough to reveal the whole plot. What could this story’s be?