In 2012, archaeologists in Venice uncovered the remains of a 16th-century female “vampire.” She had a brick placed into her mouth so that she could not feed on victims of the plague. This discovery supported the medieval belief that vampires were the cause of plagues.
- One of the most important people in their society is a black guy who got there by working hard
- Another is an undocumented Honduran immigrant who got there by just being awesome
- The most powerful character in it is autistic
- Canonically anorexic/bulimic/depressed lead supporting character who is also one of the most amazing people in the series
- Deals with loss and guilt
- One of the main themes is how society gets along as a whole and how everyone is important
- Has a terrorist group; shows their point of view but clearly demonstrates they’re in the wrong
- Deals with very real issues like alcoholism, drug abuse, weapon control, teen pregnancy etc
- Seriously, these books are awesome. I mean, there could still be more representation - I’m only halfway through Light so there’s still hope Brianna’s ace - but they are way ahead of so much other stuff right now.