Some of my Bloodborne Setting/Historical Period notes:
- Running Water is a thing (the only evidence of this is the Research Building where we can find sinks)
- Candles/Oil lamps/torches are the only light sources.
- Fireplaces for heating.
- No electricity. The ‘Blue Spark’ of the Darkbeasts is the only known form of electricity and is studied only by a very restricted group of hunters whose research was also considered pretty odd by the Healing church. The School of Mensis on the other hand, most likely welcomed Archibald’s experiments.
- Mechanical and clockwork expertise (trick weapons, clocktower, rotating staircases, elevators, machine guns)
- Astronomy is very advanced as hinted by the studies of Byrgenwerth and the Choir. (gigantic telescope in the lunarium, Astral clocktower.)
- There is no plastic but natural rubbers were probably known and used.
- Printing press. (Books everywhere and in multiple copies. We don’t see newspapers in-game, but it’s safe to assume they exist.)
- Home delivery. (Blood is delivered to Yharnamites’ homes just like milk, possibly on a daily basis.)
- Carriages and horses. There’s no train station in Yharnam. We see docks in the canal/sewers.
- Steam power apparently isn’t used either. This is quite telling because all technological advancements were applied to weapons alone and not implemented in any way to make people’s lives more comfortable. Which makes a lot of sense, actually. When you have bigger problems such as gigantic stag-dogs roaming the streets, you can’t focus on house commodities.
- Most guns need to be reloaded! The reason why our hunter doesn’t reload is probably just a gameplay mechanic since we see Gascoigne reload his gun (which is just like our gun, not a different model or an older version. He wields it paired with the hunter’s axe which, again, is exactly like ours.) So if you’re writing a story, make sure your characters reload their weapons :D
- Positive effects of the Old Blood: enhances strength and resistance, most likely makes you taller and able to withstand attacks that would kill a normal human in just one hit. Basically, all Blood-users are like goddamn Marvel superheroes and even those not trained as hunters can be formidable foes.
I hope some of you guys may find these little observations of help ;)