I repotted my small buxus microphylla ‘Kingsville dwarf’ (boxwood) tree today. It had been bound around its rock for two years in a tall cascade pot. Both the tree and the rock were acquired in Oregon. It looked like I used cut up plastic bag and packing tape for the binding, but it’s been so long that I don’t remember. Whatever I used seems to have worked, because the tree is latched onto the rock (It sits a bit loose, but hopefully that will change as the years pass.).
The tree is still in progress. The current pot is obviously a bit big for the tree, but I didn’t want to risk trimming off too much of the root mass at once. Luckily the tree had plenty of roots, and it still does within the soil. As for styling the canopy, I only did some light shaping, figuring it would be best to leave any heavier pruning for when it’s established in the pot.