Easy vegan nacho cheese
- ½ cup soaked cashews, overnight or at least a couple hours in warm water
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- ¼ t salt
- ½ t turmeric (optional but helps with color)
- ½ of a 7 oz can of green chilli’s (3.5 oz which I measured out as about ½ a cup) most, but not all liquid drained out
- ¾ cup of salsa, spiciness to your desire
- 1 small de-seeded red (or your favourite color, whatever!) bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- measuring spoons/cups
Soak your cashews either over night or for a couple of hours in warm water. If you have a really fancy high powered Vitamix or the like you apparently don’t have to soak. Add all the ingredients to the blender. (You can either use a fresh bell pepper or canned green peppers, whatever is on hand. Just note the adjusted salsa amount to ensure the correct amount of liquid.) You will probably want to stop partway through blending and scrape down the sides. Blend until creamy consistency & it’s ready to go!
Serve on nachos, quesadillas, in burritos, mac & cheese for a southwestern take, or honestly whatever.
This stuff is great. I’m vegetarian not vegan but made this the first time because I was craving nachos and didn’t have cheese. I’ve now made it a bunch of times. This can also be kept in the freezer if you need it to last longer than 3-4 days. Otherwise, keep in the fridge.