Hiccup cosplay - HTTYD 2 - WIP compilation (4/4)
And we’ve made it to the last part (for now). This one will be covering Hiccup’s prosthetic leg and his one boot. Same as before, please note, I have no idea what the actual terminology for some parts of this outfit is, I will use weird names lol. Feel free to ask questions.
Click the pics for caption corresponding to the notes underneath.
PIC 1 - Prosthetic base
- Prosthetic time!! I opted for easy way out of this I-have-two-feet-halp problem by just planning on wearing a black sock + black flats and pretending I dont have that extra foot;;;; I tried so many other ways to actually elevate my other foot enough to create a visible gap, but they all made me monstrously tall and not practical ;A;
- Anyhow, the foot was made of MDP pieces, and a cardboard toilet roll with foam core discs inside for support 8'Db
- Everything was then covered in worbla. The curved front part of the prosthetic is just one molded piece of worbla.
- I also used strips and small balls of worbla to create the detail on the bar and make fake bolts on the side
PIC 2 - Prosthetic painted
- I didn’t prime this one as much, since I wanted that grainy texture to show up in the paint.
- It was then painted silver + weathered for effect.
- then to make the part that actually goes over my leg, I heated two (stuck together) pieces of craft foam into a cylinder shape and worbla-ed over that to make it rigid. The prosthetic was then sewn directly into it. I purposely left slits in the design as you can see, to do so.
- The cylinder opens at the back with velcro so I can slip my foot in!
PIC 3 - Prosthetic with cover
- The cylinder that goes around my leg is then wrapped in leather, and then using painted/weathered craft foam, I faked the ‘metal’ decoration on it.
- Since I was on time constraints, I substituted metal buttons (painted over) for the bolts. I highly DO NOT recommend this as they caught on everything at the con and ripped out of the foam so easily >__> I lost the majority of it at the con.
- Since then, I’ve remade the bolts with molded balls of worbla and stuck them on instead.
- I always get asked at cons 'is that comfortable to wear?’. Answer is always a resounding “Not in the slightest 8’D”
PIC 4 - Puffy boot of extreme puffiness
- The boot!! To make my totally-not-there-shhhh foot less obvious, I decided to pad out the boot. It helps that Hiccup’s boots look massive anyway.
- Using a simple cheap ugg boot base, I followed the seams on the ugg boot and used that as pattern and traced it onto cotton wadding (sleepy dog being not helpful)
- the cotton wadding was then cut out and stuck onto the boot. Quite a few layers was added to make the boot super poofy~
- A simple boot cover using exactly the same pattern (but bigger) was made, and then glued down at the bottom and top
- The top of the boot was a simple piece of leather, with threaded Xs for deco~
- the straps that go around his boot was glued on, so no moving when I walk around :Db
THAT’S ALL FOR NOW!
Part 1 - Inner shirt, scale vest and black top
Part 2 - arm plates and pauldrons
Part 3 - Vambraces and props