Happy Tuesday! Today I’m going go back to something basic that we ALL do. Today’s #NutritionTalkTuesday topic is EATING. I know that sounds silly, but when you eat and how you eat can play a major role in weight loss or weight gain. Studies show that “Mindful Eating” (focusing on eating only) has many benefits that include lifespan and digestion. Think about your last meal, were you at your desk? Looking at your phone? Or eating out a bag? Distracted eating can lead to eating too fast, which can reduce how long we feel full after a meal.
HOW TO EAT MINDFULLY
1. Eat at a table, not at your desk or in front of a tv. Don’t look at your phone or computer. Eat alone or over conversation
2. Eat from a plate/or food prep container. Not from a package or bag
3. Put your eating utensil down in between bites
4. Chew your food 25 times
5. Eat with your non-dominant hand
BENEFITS OF MINDFUL EATING
1. Increased attention span
2. Helps regulate binge eating & emotional eating
3. Increased Satiety (feeling fuller longer)
4. Increased digestion & absorption
5. Increased immune function
6. Reduces indigestion
Try these practices at your next meal, see how much longer it takes you to eat. Note if you feel fuller sooner with a meal you can usually finish. I know these things seem minor but they can go a long way! Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions please leave them below!
Training and nutrition is not all black and white there are many shades of grey. Invest the time to educate yourself and really understand the ins and outs of what’s best for you to maximize your progress and better achieve your goals.
So you cheated? Not on anyone else, but on yourself! The ENTIRE WEEEEEKKKEEENNDD! ❓How do you reset❓I celebrated my birthday ALL weekend long and I woke up asking myself this every question! Since I am in this very predicament I decided to share my answers with you!
1. LET IT GO: who knew frozen lyrics could be so handy? Seriously, let it go, all the shots, hot dogs, ribs, margaritas, cupcakes and whatever else. You ate it, its over. Don’t beat yourself up about it!
2. FLUIDS: you’re more than likely dehydrated because excess salt, sugar and alcohol do that. Start your day with room temperature water, lemon water or hot tea with lemon. Add an extra glass before every meal and shoot to put away at least 3L everyday this week to flush out toxins💧
3. PROTEIN: your body is craving carbs and sugar, in order to reset really up your protein intake at each meal. Protein will keep you satiated for longer and help beat those cravings.
4. GREENS: they can be blended, in powder form or raw. It doesn’t matter how you eat them, just eat your greens! Their nutrient density will give your body the boost it needs and it will aid in digestion
5. SUPPLEMENTS: your body is inflamed, inflamed cells are aging cells so you’ll need OMEGA 3s (fish oil), TUMERIC or CURCUMIN to lower all that inflammation in your body. If sugar causes you to be anxious or depressed grab some ASHWAGANDHA to beat those feeling
6. WORKOUT: I know, this is the absolute last thing you want to do! Exercise will reset your body quickly, especially if it is HIIT. A short 10-15 min high intensity workout will get your blood pumping, workout those aches and pains and help flush out toxins! It won’t be your best workout but it will count!
You are a work in progress guys! Thanks for reading and have a productive short week!
I’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember, it really helps. I didn’t know EXACTLY what it did until I watched this video and I’m so happy this is part of my routine on the days that I do go to the gym. If you’re someone who feels they need more knowledge on the nutrition part of fitness. Please watch this. It’s SUPER helpful.
Happy TUESDAY!I’m back for another round of #NutritionTalkTuesday, this weeks topic is PROCESSED FOOD! I’m sure you all have one idea or another as to why we should avoid processed food, but maybe not enough to make you stop eating it altogether.
WHAT IS IT? PROCESSED FOOD is any food that has been altered from its natural state, like an apple, turning into an packaged apple strudel pastry. Not all PROCESSED FOODS are bad but the altered state usually adds in salt, sugar & cheap fats which all cause inflammation.
WHAT THEY DO TO US
- PROCESSED FOOD makes us fat and sick, studies show any time a culture adopts a western diet their health declines
- High Fructose corn syrup added to PROCESSED FOODS can lead to insulin resistance, increase triglyceride & cholesterol levels, increased belly fat & fat around your liver
- High fructose corn syrup consumption is strongly connect to heart disease, diabetes, & cancer
- We crave sweet, salty & fatty foods because our brains know they have the energy & nutrients we need to survive
- PROCESSED FOODS companies take advantage of that, they are designed to be rewarding to our brains, which causes cravings for them & overconsumption
- PROCESSED FOOD are loaded with preservatives, dyes, artificial chemicals for texture & flavor that our bodies cannot break down
- The way food companies engineer their food to taste and trigger our brains to crave them can lead to food addiction
HOW TO AVOID
1. Shop on the perimeter of the store
2. Avoid boxes, bags & cans
3. Avoid packaged meat
4. Cook at home
5. Pack snacks when you leave home
6. Cook or bake your own “junk” food
7. Read food labels check for salt, trans fat, high fructose corn syrup or anything you’d have to google to know what it is
8. Real food doesn’t have a label
If you have any questions or comments just drop them below! As always, thanks for reading and have a great week!
Happy ❤️Valentine’s Day ❤️! And happy Tuesday, today’s #NutritionTalkTuesday topic is SODA! Whether you call it coke, pop or soda it’s all the same thing and it’s all killing you!
☠️FUN FACTS ABOUT SODA ☠️
1. A 10 year study found those who drink 2 diet sodas a day experiences a 500% waists increase
2. 1 soda a day can increase triglycerides by 30%
3. Postmenopausal women who drink soda regularly increase their cancer risk by 78%
4. Men who drink 1 soda a day increase their risk of developing prostate cancer by 40%
5. 1 soda a day increases your risk of a heart attack by 43%
6. 1 soda a day increase your risk of obesity by 41%
7. Regularly drinking soda affects genes that regulate weight gain
If that doesn’t scare you straight maybe these facts will
☠️ FUN FACTS ABOUT DIET (Aspartame) SODA ☠️
1. Aspartame stimulates your appetite, increases carb cravings & promotes fat storage
2. Adults who drink diet sodas or use aspartame as a sweetener have higher BMIs
3. The FDAs approvals of aspartame was the most controversial
4. Aspartame is 50% phenylaline increased levels cause mood swings, memory loss, headaches, emotional disorders & depression
5. Aspartame is 40% Aspartic Acid and 10% Methanol
6. When mixed with common food dye aspartame becomes toxic to brain cells
Please share with someone with you love! Sodas are so mainstream in our diets when they shouldn’t be at all! Please leave your questions or comments below, and thank you for reading!
Happy Tuesday! We’re only 10 days into the year, how are your resolutions going? Last week I took a small break, did you miss me? I’m back and today’s #NutritionTalkTuesday topic is ASHWAGANDHA (ash·wa·gan·dha) I know the name is weird but this a powerful I herb that I’ve personally been taking for 8 months that I get a lot of questions about because I tell people it’s what keeps me from being crazy 🙃 lol. So here we go!
WHAT IS ASHWAGANDHA
- is an adaptive herb made from the leaves of a shrub called withania somnifera.
- Best known for handling stress and anxiety
1. Stimulates thyroid gland & secretion of thyroid hormones
2. Reduces pain & inflammation
3. Reduces anxiety & depression
4. Helps combat the effects of stress
5. Increases white blood cell production
6. Increased mitochondrial levels & endurance during physical activity
7. Protects brain from degeneration
8. Lowers cortisol levels for better sleep & weight loss.
Amazing right? This was one of the keys to my personal weight loss journey. My cortisol levels were up from stress, I wasn’t sleeping and craving carbs constantly. This broke that cycle, if you haven’t read the Stress post I recommend reading it.
HOW TO TAKE IT
- above I have my favorite brand of ASHWAGANDHA pictured. Jarrow has their own locally sourced farm where they grow ASHWAGANDHA, it goes straight from the farm to the bottle.
- I take 2 capsules daily at breakfast or lunch
- Not recommended for those with hyperthyroidism or if pregnant
- Taking too much can lead to GI distress
Stress is an American lifestyle staple, but it doesn’t have to be the thing holding you back from your fitness goals! Here’s one step you can take towards a better you! As always, thanks for reading and if you have any questions or comments leave them below! I really hope this helps, if it did tag a friend to share!
In ancient China, black rice was considered so superior and rare, it was reserved exclusively for the emperor and royalty. These days the grain, also known as forbidden rice, has become the darling of gourmets and people seeking superior nutrition.
These folks are onto something: The color of black rice is the result of plant pigments called anthocyanins, which research has linked to a number of positive health effects: from anti-inflammatory properties to healthier arteries and better insulin regulation.
And now, geneticists report they’ve traced the birth and spread of black rice.
Ard people. Imma do it. Fuck it. It might motivate or bless someone else, so here goes nothing. 😂 #TransformationTuesday
The photo on the left was taken the day we celebrated our union…the one on the right, this NYE. I definitely wasn’t that “plush” when she fell in love. Didn’t think she’d stick around cause ain’t no way she expected to be pushin this much cushion but, to my surprise our love only grew deeper. She still accepted me, repped tf outta me, respected me, complimented me, made love to me, uplifted me. And even after I gained all this “happy weight” she still wanted to marry ME! I’m like….wth?! Are you sure?! You down to get ya upper body strength up cuz these legs must be at least 75 pounds a piece by now? What about fat jokes? Can you deal with people jeering at the love of your life constantly? How is 320 pounds of sexy not murch tew murch for you?! You do know you’re a size 4 right? 🤔
Chanel taught me that when love is TRUE, it’s always unconditional and never superficial. It was such a beautiful and needed lesson and I promise to spend the rest of my life finding other ways besides stuffing my face to express my happiness 😩😂 but it’s nice to know that I can blow tf uppp if I wanna and shawty still gone ride. To anyone on a weight loss journey, you CAN do it, but be sure to do it for yourself. The people that are really for you are going to stand behind you at any size. 😎 Anyways…love yourself, love the one you’re with and make no apologies for it. Stay dope y'all.
The recipe for this baby was requested! I wish I could be more specific as to what brand I used, but I would just go with your favorite and really experiment because when you throw everything in a pan, how bad could it be? This recipe makes 4-6 servings, roughly.
•1 bag of red lentil pasta
•8-12 vegan meatballs (Pete’s)
•2 Field Roast Italian sausages
•4 servings of pasta sauce (I’ve used a spaghetti sauce as well as a spicy vegan alfredo)
•1/2 bag of kale or spinach
•1 container of Trader Joe’s grilled eggplant and zucchini
•1 C riced cauliflower
•1 C riced broccoli
•1/4 C vegan mozzarella or parmesan (or both lol)
•1/2 bag of frozen asparagus (also TJ’s)
•Italian blend seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, pink salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast, all to taste.
All you need to do is prep the noodles according to the instructions and as they’re finishing, sauté the fresh vegetables and let the kale wilt a little. Then begin adding whatever frozen veggies you have little by little. Honestly? Use whatever quantities you desire. I try to fit as much in a pan as I can because I’m a monster. As the veggies cook and are almost done, add the sauce to the veggies and let them continue to simmer as you drain and rinse the pasta. Return it back to the pan it was boiling in, and add the veggies back in to combine everything. Melt cheese into it, layer it on top, or leave it out completely. If you make the full recipe, you’ll likely need either one very large container or a couple medium sized containers to store leftovers. I like making this recipe to last about five days.
Let me know if something was confusing or if I left something out. I’ll add that you can find amazing vegan cream sauces at Sprouts and likely Whole Foods, but everywhere else definitely has regular tomato sauce you could use as well. EAT THIS UP.