Happy TUESDAY!I’m back for another round of #NutritionTalkTuesday, this weeks topic is PROCESSED FOOD! I’m sure you all have one idea or another as to why we should avoid processed food, but maybe not enough to make you stop eating it altogether.
WHAT IS IT? PROCESSED FOOD is any food that has been altered from its natural state, like an apple, turning into an packaged apple strudel pastry. Not all PROCESSED FOODS are bad but the altered state usually adds in salt, sugar & cheap fats which all cause inflammation.
WHAT THEY DO TO US
- PROCESSED FOOD makes us fat and sick, studies show any time a culture adopts a western diet their health declines
- High Fructose corn syrup added to PROCESSED FOODS can lead to insulin resistance, increase triglyceride & cholesterol levels, increased belly fat & fat around your liver
- High fructose corn syrup consumption is strongly connect to heart disease, diabetes, & cancer
- We crave sweet, salty & fatty foods because our brains know they have the energy & nutrients we need to survive
- PROCESSED FOODS companies take advantage of that, they are designed to be rewarding to our brains, which causes cravings for them & overconsumption
- PROCESSED FOOD are loaded with preservatives, dyes, artificial chemicals for texture & flavor that our bodies cannot break down
- The way food companies engineer their food to taste and trigger our brains to crave them can lead to food addiction
HOW TO AVOID
1. Shop on the perimeter of the store
2. Avoid boxes, bags & cans
3. Avoid packaged meat
4. Cook at home
5. Pack snacks when you leave home
6. Cook or bake your own “junk” food
7. Read food labels check for salt, trans fat, high fructose corn syrup or anything you’d have to google to know what it is
8. Real food doesn’t have a label
If you have any questions or comments just drop them below! As always, thanks for reading and have a great week!
The photo on the right is from last night on New Years !! It might be too soon to tell but I’ve been at this for about 2 months now and I’m about 18 pounds less!! I’ve never felt this good. I have so much confidence and I just feel like I’m glowing. I’m so happy and I can’t wait to continue in this new year ❤️ happy New Years yall
Happy Tuesday! We’re only 10 days into the year, how are your resolutions going? Last week I took a small break, did you miss me? I’m back and today’s #NutritionTalkTuesday topic is ASHWAGANDHA (ash·wa·gan·dha) I know the name is weird but this a powerful I herb that I’ve personally been taking for 8 months that I get a lot of questions about because I tell people it’s what keeps me from being crazy 🙃 lol. So here we go!
WHAT IS ASHWAGANDHA
- is an adaptive herb made from the leaves of a shrub called withania somnifera.
- Best known for handling stress and anxiety
1. Stimulates thyroid gland & secretion of thyroid hormones
2. Reduces pain & inflammation
3. Reduces anxiety & depression
4. Helps combat the effects of stress
5. Increases white blood cell production
6. Increased mitochondrial levels & endurance during physical activity
7. Protects brain from degeneration
8. Lowers cortisol levels for better sleep & weight loss.
Amazing right? This was one of the keys to my personal weight loss journey. My cortisol levels were up from stress, I wasn’t sleeping and craving carbs constantly. This broke that cycle, if you haven’t read the Stress post I recommend reading it.
HOW TO TAKE IT
- above I have my favorite brand of ASHWAGANDHA pictured. Jarrow has their own locally sourced farm where they grow ASHWAGANDHA, it goes straight from the farm to the bottle.
- I take 2 capsules daily at breakfast or lunch
- Not recommended for those with hyperthyroidism or if pregnant
- Taking too much can lead to GI distress
Stress is an American lifestyle staple, but it doesn’t have to be the thing holding you back from your fitness goals! Here’s one step you can take towards a better you! As always, thanks for reading and if you have any questions or comments leave them below! I really hope this helps, if it did tag a friend to share!
Figured i’d update y'all. Been taking intermittent fasting more seriously. Sitting at 200 flat or just below it. Fat is melting off, supplementing properly, lifting heavy, and trying to keep my protein as adequately high as possible has been helping me keep my size also.
This summer I wanna look like i’m straight outta Jojo’s bizarre adventure. Watch
Happy ❤️Valentine’s Day ❤️! And happy Tuesday, today’s #NutritionTalkTuesday topic is SODA! Whether you call it coke, pop or soda it’s all the same thing and it’s all killing you!
☠️FUN FACTS ABOUT SODA ☠️
1. A 10 year study found those who drink 2 diet sodas a day experiences a 500% waists increase
2. 1 soda a day can increase triglycerides by 30%
3. Postmenopausal women who drink soda regularly increase their cancer risk by 78%
4. Men who drink 1 soda a day increase their risk of developing prostate cancer by 40%
5. 1 soda a day increases your risk of a heart attack by 43%
6. 1 soda a day increase your risk of obesity by 41%
7. Regularly drinking soda affects genes that regulate weight gain
If that doesn’t scare you straight maybe these facts will
☠️ FUN FACTS ABOUT DIET (Aspartame) SODA ☠️
1. Aspartame stimulates your appetite, increases carb cravings & promotes fat storage
2. Adults who drink diet sodas or use aspartame as a sweetener have higher BMIs
3. The FDAs approvals of aspartame was the most controversial
4. Aspartame is 50% phenylaline increased levels cause mood swings, memory loss, headaches, emotional disorders & depression
5. Aspartame is 40% Aspartic Acid and 10% Methanol
6. When mixed with common food dye aspartame becomes toxic to brain cells
Please share with someone with you love! Sodas are so mainstream in our diets when they shouldn’t be at all! Please leave your questions or comments below, and thank you for reading!
GUYS MY ROOMMATE AND I JUST MADE THE MOST DELICIOUS BLACK BEAN BROWNIES OMG IM OBSESSED!! THEY ARE SO GOOEY AND DELICIOUS AND DON’T TASTE LIKE BLACK BEANS AT ALL! SO RICH AND GOOEY AND AHHHH!!
Black Bean Brownie Cups Recipe
1 can black beans (drained)
1 cup chocolate chips
2 packets stevia (~2 teaspoons stevia or 4 teaspoons sugar)
2 tablespoons vanilla
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ tablespoon cinnamon
2 chia eggs (1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons warm water = 1 chia egg)
Put everything in a food processor (or at the very least the black beans because you don’t want chunky sweet black beans instead of brownies..)!! Then scoop into cupcake liners (makes 12) and bake at 350 degrees for ~17 min!
ENJOY THE AMAZINGNESS!! Share with your friends and family and EVERYONE!! Share the power and protein of black beans!!
i seem to always be eating the same meal everyday when i am in England hehehe. ☺ spinach, lettuce, watercress, arugula, rocket, chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, raisins, beet & hummus. w/ black pepper, himalayan salt, nutritional yeast, olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar… and ginger & lemon tea :) & that’s it… it’s just what i feel like eating everyday. mostly because it’s quick & easy to make and i feel it nourishes me & brings clarity to my mind… which is just what i need! ~
I’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember, it really helps. I didn’t know EXACTLY what it did until I watched this video and I’m so happy this is part of my routine on the days that I do go to the gym. If you’re someone who feels they need more knowledge on the nutrition part of fitness. Please watch this. It’s SUPER helpful.