Discussed with @thedarkestcrow. I feel that one of the biggest problems with Kuroshitsuji is its stagnation over the past few years, ie. lack of changes in terms of plot and character development. Ciel and Sebastian for example, have remained largely the same since day one. Sure, there are small changes. Ciel no longer relies on Sebastian
after the Circus arc nor trusts him as much after the Green Witch arc (or so he said but we have yet to see that). As for Sebastian, he admires certain people to an extent, like Agni, Lizzy and possibly Frances, but it doesn’t change his view of humans. They are all selfish creatures driven by their desires, with some stronger than the others. And it has been this way for over 10 years of serialization, as if they are fine the way they are despite being the center of the story. This too might be the reason why there isn’t much progression to the main plot, because they refuse to grow as characters. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I don’t like the duo. I enjoy their adventures together and they have interesting dynamics, but a good character development can never hurt. I’m starting to get the feeling that they are resisting influence whether they realize it or not.
With Ciel’s character it’s more obvious and perhaps even discussed in-universe. His personality drastically changed after his family was murdered in cold blood and he endured daily
in the cult (and possibly losing the last family member he had as the last straw of his innocence if 2CT is true). Since the first day of his contract with Sebastian he painted himself as a cold, selfish and arrogant Earl, keeps people at arm length, has no qualms killing innocents for the sake of the Queen. As Soma addressed in the last chapter, he never paid attention to the affection of the people who deeply care about him and he is somehow still stuck the way he is. Because he already leaves his fate in the hands of the demon that will one day take his soul as payment when he completes his revenge, he refuses to accept anything that can make him forget his revenge, such as friendship and happiness. In other words anything that can attach him to life. So it is safe to say that he doesn’t develop because he doesn’t want to even when he’s actually capable of it. This can also put his life in danger as Sebastian would try to devour him right away if he doesn’t abide to the contract. Sure, people like Soma and Lizzy can help him grow as a person, but it won’t be so easy given the situation Ciel is in. It would be quite a development if he will finally accept their friendship and open himself up more while being still aware of his life goal (maybe he can outsmart Sebastian in the end but that’s for another time). There is also 2CT which might bring a change in Ciel’s character and twist the contract if the twin is out looking for him. I’m not a fan of this theory so I can’t say in much detail.
I think with Sebastian it’s a bit more complicated. Even now there isn’t much known about him. He’s not a human, so he likely doesn’t develop like humans do. He has lived much longer than any other humans, has countless experiences and probably reached a point where he knows the fundamentals of life. He’s probably too full of himself to even think that he might grow as a person by spending time with Ciel. Although according to @thedarkestcrow, he seems to have acted more independently than in the beginning and he brought up Lizzy’s words without being asked. In Jack the Ripper arc, Sebastian was already ahead of Ciel in terms of the killer’s identity but didn’t tell him for the same reason. However, those are only changes in his ways of doing things as part of his butler aesthetics. His core personality remains the same, he wants Ciel’s soul in the end and this is his primary motivation. So in terms of character development I guess there isn’t much for him and perhaps it will take Ciel to change for Sebastian to change too.
tldr; Ciel can develop if he opens himself up to the people who care about him and that will bring a change in Sebastian and their relationship.
THE GLO UP IS SOO REAL!!! I was lowkey ugly 😂😩. High School Years VS. College Years (Final Year). Im gonna keep it real with you guys, I had plastic surgery on my nose. I’m still a bad bitch at the end of the day 😊🤑.
What are your headcanons about Undertaker (except that he may be the first reaper and father of Vincent)?
Well, though I *do* think he’s probably Vincent’s father… I’m *not* in the camp that Undertaker must be the first/original death.
1. If he’s Cedric K. Ros–, then I can place him as being from as early as the late 12th century (thanks to Cedric Rotherwood in Sir Walter Scott’s “Ivanhoe”, set in 1194). This means his death scythe being an actual *scythe* was just as “ahead of time” when he became a reaper as, say, William with a telescopic pruner… or Ludger/Rudgar with a hedge trimmer. Though the scythe had been invented much, much earlier, it wasn’t really brought to Europe until about the mid-13th century. This also means he could have collected the soul of Robin Hood (as claimed in season one of the anime), since Robin Hood also appears in “Ivanhoe”.
2. Lots of French names in the Phantomhive family…. Diedrich says Undertaker has business to take care of in France…. Undertaker has many attributes in common with the classic Ankou…. Season one of the anime has William also claim Undertaker collected the soul of Marie Antoinette…. If this last one is true, then Undertaker was actively working as a reaper in France in the late 18th century (Marie Antoinette died 1793). Grell and William took their final reaper exam in 1779, according to the “Story of Will the Reaper” OVA. All of this could point to either a) Undertaker was from a French branch of the reaper office, b) back then reapers had larger jurisdictions, or c) both.
3. Since I have him as *a* parallel to Mother3’s Dr. Andonuts (another is Sieglinde), I think Queen Victoria is *serious* when she tells John Brown she’d be interested in making “allies” of Bizarre Dolls. I half-expect her to have John “steal” this ability (figure out how to do it), kind of like how Ash/Angela tries to overwrite “Ciel’s” memories in season one of the anime. Undertaker might eventually figure out that, though curiosity itself is okay, he perhaps took it a *bit* far when he decided to tamper with cinematic records….
4. I also have him as *the* parallel to Mother3’s Nippolyte, the eccentric grave keeper. Nippolyte hands Lucas (the protagonist) a “treasured” family heirloom – the Courage Badge that, once polished, turns out to be a “Franklin Badge”. It had previously belonged to Lucas’ father, Flint… but Flint entrusted Nippolyte with the task of passing it to Lucas on his behalf. This “Franklin Badge” ends up saving Lucas’ life. Though I don’t know exactly how it will end up helping him the *most*, I expect Undertaker’s “treasured” mourning lockets to play a very important role… *more* than just pointing to some connection between Undertaker and the earl’s paternal grandmother, Cloudia/Claudia. It could even literally save the earl’s life, just like the “Franklin Badge” literally saves Lucas’ life. It could be as clichéd as blocking a bullet. It could be more interesting/inventive….
What *else* to do I think of Undertaker? Hmm….
5. Oh, yeah. I also place him as a kind of parallel to Thoth in Egyptian mythology…. He might have helped Rachel (somehow) with her difficult pregnancy with the twins….
I guess being in the studio is the twins fave thing now. Johnathan gives them time to create and learn. They seem so interested and focused when it comes to music. Hey they might be following in their father’s footsteps. Johnathan and I are so proud of our babies. They are growing up to be smart and so musically talented. *Proud mommy moment*
Okayyy soo here’s the deal with Ara and his affection towards Friday boi
A year or so after they met and became friends Ara’s soul subconsciously ‘latched’ onto Friday. Likeee Ara feel in love with him without knowing it. His soul freakinggg makes him feel like he needs to be around the guy, constantlyyy. You know how I said the reason Ara isn’t dead yet is because his soul has slowed down the process of cracking and shattering completely? Welll it’s because he’s around Friday and has him, aaand because food helps with the hp situation a bit. But Ara’s soul is pretty much getting slowly healed from his entire past oooof gaining cracks when he’s around Friday okAY.
So what I am saying iss, Ara loves Friday but he has no idea himself aand his soul is subconsciously ‘attached’ to Friday and his soul
It’s sad that a lot of people these days care more about arbitrary parts of a character like sex/orientation/race/etc than actual character development. Especially when it gets in the way of what they see as “right” for a character’s story arc. I see a lot of posts in fandom tags that basically amount to “THIS BLACK TRANS MUSLIM LESBIAN CHARACTER DID A BAD THING BUT THATS OKAY GIVE HER A REDEMPTION ARC BUT DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT REDEMPTION ARCS FOR ANY WHITE CIS CHRISTIAN STRAIGHT MALE CHARACTERS THEY ARE EVIL BY DEFAULT MAKE THEM VILLAINS AND HAVE THE HERO HUMILIATE THEM AND THEN KILL THEM” and it’s just…. As a writer, it’s so exhausting and the one part of getting published in not looking forward to is the potential for people to obsess over the fact that most of my characters are LGBT and non-white rather than the more important contexts and nuances of their characters.