“My Family’s Slave” and the people who don’t want to understand Filipino culture
I got blocked within 1 minute of sending the second tweet
Instead of listening to actual Filipinos about Lola and her legacy, Miss “I study and value diversity so I will never listen to people who actually know the culture and context in which this occurred” just blocks them for disagreeing with her
So here’s a message for all y’all who think you can fight for Lola’s story but then entirely disregard the culture from which she came:
Shut up and listen.
I am so fucking disgusted by every “oh this is so sad” “how could anybody do this” “she should have killed that family” comment from a westerner who has no context of our culture or how they themselves contributed to it
The country that makes a Filipino maid joke every other time we as a race are mentioned shouldn’t take the moral high ground because you suddenly feel sad about it
You don’t understand how Filipinos treat family, how they’re willing to humble themselves to extremes, how being in America is already a huge fucking deal for those who grew up in the province, how that contributes to the “utang na loob” culture that while not necessarily good, is a big part of how every Filipino operates
Yes, what happened to Lola was bad. I call her Lola because 1) She would not have gone by eudocia, not even with her own family and community. Filipinos have nicknames, always, with some exceptions (our driver Tommy’s actual first name is Tommy, so). 2) Lola means old woman as much as it means grandma, so for a lack of a name that isn’t just on her grave stone and birth certificate, we call her Lola, which people in the community would have called her at that age regardless. Which Kendall might have known had she not blocked every single Filipino who actually knows a thing or two.
What happened to her was slavery yes. Not because she served an abusive family, but because she didn’t have a choice and they didn’t pay her. It is not the kind of slavery you can put a black American context to, which is what Kendall did. In order to understand just why she didn’t leave even at the opportunities she was given, you have to understand her culture as much as her situation.
To do otherwise is an affront to anybody who’s experienced or experiencing the same. Filipino maids are being abused in every country, even paid. They’re treated like slaves today, at this very moment, but are not considered such because they have income, little as it is. But instead of saying “huhu how sad” and “we have to end their slavery!” think about why we do it and what could be done to make sure they’re treated fairly.
So I know most of you just starting off feel pressured to go and get a load of equipment to use in spells, and while I still believe it’s not strictly necessary to have spell ingredients and tools and words and intent alone are enough to suffice, I can understand wanting stuff to make you feel more witchy and to help you visualise stuff better etc.
So here are the bare basic things I recommend 😊
✨ a quartz crystal
- Because they are self cleansing - you never need to spiritually cleanse them
- because they are neutral - you can charge them with any intent you want and they will be able to carry them
- they can be used to cleanse - use it to cleanse yourself, use it to cleanse any other items you have
- they help transmit energy - perfect for helping you send energy to something or someone else
- they receive energy - perfect for channeling energy
- they amplify energy - use them to increase the power of anything else you are using in your magic
- cheap af
- completely innocuous - no one’s gonna look at it and think you must be a witch
Like literally fucking anywhere - go into a gift shop and you can probably find a Quartz crystal even if it’s on the end of a keyring or if it’s part of a gemstone chip bracelet, sometimes in the gift section of bookshops, in the birth stone section of a card shop, in most seaside gift shops, in museum gift shops, as a free gift on the front of a mind, body, spirit magazine….
✨ a feather
- it’s free af
- depending on the bird it can represent different things - Google bird meanings and omens etc
- represents the element of air
- use in cleansing spells by wafting around (yup. Simple as that - think feather dusters - cleansing!)
- comes from birds - birds fly- use in astral travel spells. Birds nest - use in home spells. Birds are free to roam where they want - use in freedom / release spells… Pretty damn versatile if you ask me!
- bonus - pretty, soft, fluffy
Literally walk out your front door, there’s probably one waiting for you right there. If not, try the back door.
✨ a stone
- again, free af
- represents earth element
- comes from ground and therefore can help you in grounding spells
- the phrase ‘solid as a rock?’ - use in spells that help you stabilise and settle down in life
- what can stones be used for? Building bridges, paths and buildings - use in spells that help you cross metaphorical bridges, that help you find your path, to help you lay foundations etc
Again, literally anywhere
✨ water (including some sort of bowl, jar, bottle, whatever… To hold said water)
- represents water element
- use in cleansing spells
- water represents emotions - use in any spell that deals with emotions
- still water is calming, use in calming spells
- bonus - research different types of water and how to use in witchcraft because sea water, rain water etc can all be used for different things but as a standard simply use tap water
- collect rain
- the tap????
✨ a battery operated tea light candle
- discreet and small - easy to hide away if necessary
- no need for lighter or matches
- safe af
- lasts longer than a real candle
- represents fire
- usually really cheap for a multipack
- most come with realistic flicker effect
- can get in different colours so can be used as an alternative to spell candles
- bonus - if you’re willing to spend a little more you can now get them in the style of church candles or taper candles and some of them have a sensor on them which lets you ‘blow them out’
- can be used for enlightening spells, passion, energising or any kind of candle spell
- nice to look at when meditating
- looks great in a candle holder
- safe to use as markers for you circle if you want to work within one and won’t matter if you’re clumsy af like me and knock it over
DIY stores, home stores, gift shops, clothes shops with home sections… Practically EVERYWHERE at Christmas… Most likely a pound / thrift store?
🌸 Can I just point out you now have an item to represent all of the elements? How fricking awesome is that?? You can use any kind of elemental spell now! Yay!🌸
- use in protection spells
- use to cleanse
- use in your bath to soothe sore, aching muscles, or to soften dry skin or hard nails
- any food shop
- most likely your kitchen
✨ black pepper (corns or ground)
- great for binding spells
- use to absorb negativity
- cheap af
Again, food store or probably already in your kitchen
✨ a notebook
- to jot down spells, your research, correspondences etc
Pretty much anywhere. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on it. Chances are after practicing for a little while you’ll settle down more into your own personal craft and realise a lot of the stuff you wrote down won’t be relevant to you and your beliefs any more and then by that point you will have been able to save up for a nice new fancy one and you can copy over the stuff you want to keep 😊
Take it from me, there is literally no point in spending loads of money on your first spell book, you will definitely out grow it.
✨ either a cheap multi-pack of different coloured cotton reels or ribbon
- use for string / ribbon magic (a very easy form of magic for beginners)
- use in binding spells
You could go to a craft shop but honestly, just go to your local pound / thrift shop or market to pick one up for £1. Craft shops will no doubt charge you more than you have to pay
✨ some form of tiny draw string cloth pouch or the fabric to make one
- use for making charm bags with
if you’re lucky you might be given one when you buy your Quartz crystal - people usually put crystals in little drawstring pouches, a lot of jewellery from eBay come in them too
So there you have it!
At the very most all you’ll be buying is a notebook, salt and pepper if you don’t already have it, a Quartz crystal, some cotton, a battery tea light and a tiny bag.
You should easy be able to get that for under £10 especially if you buy everything you can from a pound store!
If you want to start practicing divination, you could always get a pack of playing cards from there too and learn how to divine using them - that knowledge is only a Google search away!
How easy (and cheap) was that?
You’ll probably find that as you go on, the longer you practice you’ll probably add to your collection over time and then you’ll start making the occasional bigger purchase as a treat, you might want to buy some tarot cards for example…
But this should be more than enough to start you off! 😊
And you can keep them all hidden in a little box under your bed and no one needs to know anything about it if you don’t want them too 💕
(topaz: this stone helps bring prosperity and happiness into their lives. It is known as the bringer of abundance. The topaz stone also has a reputation of promoting good health. Natural topaz has no colour and blue topaz is extremely hard to find in nature)