I watched a DIY video on silicone moulding and thought “I can do that, how hard can it be?”
1) create a template out of condensed styrofoam and drywall puddy
2) create a two part silicone mould
3) Mix A & B liquid plastic and pour into the mould
4) paint and clear coat
Well the template alone was like 50 hours of cutting, glueing, and sanding to get the details to be just right. The two part mold was another 20 hours or so of not really knowing what I was doing. The pour only takes 15 minutes along with some prep and clean up. Then you have to cut off the excess (flashing), sand and fill any air bubbles, and finally home stretch. Just 10 more hours of layering paint and some light sanding, apply two layers of clear coat and you’re done. One killer prop for this nerd to fight off a hoard of mindless husks. That really wasn’t hard at all… …yes that was sarcasm.
Our dragon age inquisition group at labyrinth ball this year! So much fun! My friend made a gorgeous vivienne and I can’t wait to add even more stuff to her costume to make her that much more fabulous! And look at Solas/fen'harel and Dorian getting along! But I totally don’t trust that “innocent” look he’s trying to pull off by the light of my mark (which makes a very good guiding light in the dark it seems). And I really do feel that vivienne would be a compulsive selfie poster hahahha!
Finally, after eons of labour, I have finished off a few more prop guns. The newest is the M-77 Paladin paint job. It was surprisingly more difficult to paint but I’m very, very happy with the results. I also started my new Etsy page and will be selling these props. I will dance at your wedding if you spread the word and get my page some traffic.
Bioware : ‘Companion costumes are built in layers, with an eye for customization and functionality. We strive to make sure that every belt, clasp or fastener has a purpose. These should be costumes you can build in real life.’