1. How did you start playing bikepolo? It is quite an aggresive game and most of the players are guys. Do they “handle you with care” or just as if you were one of them?
I started playing bikepolo when my group of friends started doing it. We got ourselves organized, looked for a good track court in Palma and started to get together two hours a week. Though it is an aggressive sport, the boys treat me like I’m one of them, but they do try to be a bit gentler when it comes to strength.
2. Would you encourage girls to try this sport? Any previous advice?
I encourage every girl I see safely and comfortably riding their bikes, but they never really come, for some reason, maybe lack of time, maybe they don’t feel like it or they are not that much into this sport.
3. Would you encourage girls to try this sport? Any previous advice?
A stick, a helmet and a good fixie bike you are not very fond of, since it will surely end up smashed.
And… 3, 2, 1, POLO!
4. We know you and your boyfriend own some 843094790 bikes. You even use an empty house to store them. Do you keep them to some end or do you just store them until they control you?
I keep many bikes in an empty house, I started collecting them as a hobby, but then I had to stop when I reached the sum of 50. I had no space, no time to enjoy them all. I plan to redo them when the good weather is back and if possible, try to sell them to someone who loves them as much as I do.
5. You are now finishing your studies in product design. Would you like to apply your studies to two-wheeled transport? Would you like to devote our career to anything related to bikes?
I I am keen on biking. I do not rule out dedicating some of my time to it in a near future. Right now I think of the bike as an enjoyment, and I can’t see why I should not translate that inspiration into my career, bikes + design sound like the perfect combination to me!
Female bikepolo doesn’t have to be jealous of male bikepolo. As we discovered in the last Hell’s Belles competition, the quality of the female teams are very high. Now we want to improve our game, we want to be as good as them! However, competitions are usually mixed, also the training teams. Even though there are more boys than girls, the number of women playing bike polo is increasing. In Valencia, at first, we were just two girls, now the team are equal.
2. Why a boke polo team?
When we train we don’t have a fixed team, we just play. However, to register for the competition a team was necessary. That’s how we got in touch with one of the Hell’s Belles organizers, Filipa, she didn’t have a team. So, we created “Jamón Ibérico” together.
3. When did you start playing bikepolo?
We are very interested in bikes and we learnt about this sport three years ago. However, people in Valencia played very irregularly at this time and it was one year ago when we started playing more regularly, once or twice for a week.
4. What kind of bike do you ride?
We want to use this moment to clarify that, contrary to popular belief, fixies aren’t the most appropriated bikes to play bikepolo. The best choice is to play with a single speed with front or double brake and with a very short gear ratio. The frame is better if it’s compact and resistant because it’s going to be hit for sure. We both began playing with bikes that we had to replace because we appreciated them. Now we use some old MTB frames and we don’t have any problem if we crash or we fall. Anyway, in the future we hope save some money to buy a frame or bike that meets our specific needs. Like in all sports, as you play, you become more demanding but if you are going to begin to play you can use any bike you have.