The I’m-Planning-to-Write-But-Haven’t-Started-Yet-Cause-I’m-Procrastinating Checklist
Alternatively, you haven’t started writing because you’re still planning, you haven’t come up with something yet, you’re waiting for November 1st, it’s a bad brain day and you can’t string two sentences together, or your favorite area in the library has been colonized by poly-sci majors who have no respect for quiet zones (no I’m not bitter).
No matter why, you’re still not writing. Here’s a short checklist that will let you keep procrastinating while still being productive! Yay!
- Write an outline
- Pick a title, or a few titles to get you started
- Write a synopsis
- Create a world bible
- Create a Pinterest board
- Tidy up your writing space (if you can)
- Create a writing playlist, or a playlist for this particular project
- List out the characters, settings, etc.
- Pick some goals – plot points, word count, time elapsed, etc.
- Pick a reward for when you reach your goals
This way, you’re still being somewhat productive in creating your novel, screenplay, short story, etc., but you don’t have to actually start writing yet. It’s a win-win!