The Good Place: Random Thoughts S2:E1/2
First off…major spoilers ahead if you haven’t watched the season premiere…
We cool? Good. Here it goes….
– Being ‘in’ on the reboot of everyone completely subverted my own enjoyment of the show and I felt nothing but angst along with the four main characters, knowing now that what was happening to them was in fact “torture.” Deep-in-my-stomach-angst.
– This needs to win Ted Danson an Emmy this year. When he delivers his lines with such sincerity, even though we are in on the fact that he is lying, just makes for some wonderfully subjective interpretations of his delivery. That grin suddenly seems evil. We read a little more bite to his inflection. It is the role of a lifetime.
– In an EW interview, Kristen Bell said that Eleanor goes all “Veronica Mars for lack of a better description.” And yes, yes she does. Right down to her black leather jacket.
– I love love love that this season touches on the idea that Chidi, Eleanor, Jason, and Tahani *imprinted* so deeply on each other in the first round that Michael was unable to wipe that part of them from their collective consciousness.
– Denise being “jealous” of the better role, and also maybe of other people’s relationship with Chidi, was a fantastic addition to this complex story. If she isn’t “human”, how is it that she feels something towards Chidi? There is obviously so much more to this character than just wanting to take a larger part in the plan.
– Anyone else feel that Eleanor’s hunky “soul mate” who keeps ripping off his shirt and going to the gym may have been modeled after someone *else* from K-Bell’s past acting life? Anyone? Anyone? ;)
– Tahani showing her true colours so quickly was a huge surprise. Again, I am left wondering if some of the personal growth they achieved in the first place stuck with them for the second (and third) reboot.
– The same goes for Jason. The fact that he felt compelled to confess to a group of people he barely knows may point to more imprinting left over from the first place.
– Eleanor and Chidi really are soul mates.
– “I was a garbage man in Winnipeg.” Hooray for a shout-out to my hometown!!
– So in the bad place, what happens? You get your penis flattened one day, regenerate, then get twisted in two the next? By the way, brilliant way to torture philosophers with the interpetive dreams come to life. Bet Freud and Jung were pissed.
– Michael hiding the second reboot from his superior adds a wonderful level of terror to this test. What will happen to the four friends if Michael fails once more?
– Any and all jokes about Crocs shoes are welcome in my books.