Every year in June since 2001, BET puts together their biggest event….the annual BET AWARDS! The award show is one of the biggest events within the African American culture, specifically, the Hip-Hop Community. I have compiled some pretty good reasons to tune into the BET Awards and you might be surprised about what you did not know!
1. This year’s show is hosted by Chris Rock. In my opinion he has become a legendary brand name, which is helpful to the BET Networks in choosing him as a host. Also this possibly means a little less Kevin Hart for once. However, I do believe Chris Rock will probably do a “Real Husbands of Hollywood” skit with Kevin for the show.
2, KeKe Palmer has recently been working hard with BET Networks on her upcoming talk-show “Just KeKe”. The show will premiere during the late summer, so we will possibly get a sneak preview of her show either during the award show or commercial breaks.
3. This year’s Life-Time Achievement Award goes to Lionel Richie. Repping for MY TUSKEGEE! That’s all that has to be said…LOL!
4. Iggy Azelea has definitely made some noise in the Hip-Hop community being that she is a white girl from Australia recording southern rap music. She has already gained acceptance from white mainstream pop culture, but whether or not the Hip-Hop audience has accepted her will be determined during her performance in the show. Not to mention she is up against Nicki Minaj for “Best Female Hip-Hop Artist”, which Nicki has dominated the past few years.
5. Since being released from jail two weeks ago, this will be Chris Brown’s first television appearance. He will be getting plenty of camera time and it will be interesting to see how much weight he really gained on live television.
6. Lil Wayne is BACK! Well…we’ll be the judge of that based on his performance. Wayne has been low-key and hasn’t been performing recently. Since he hasn’t released a single yet, I predict he will perform new music or do a Cash Money tribute of all his hits dating back to his Rap Group, Hot Boyz.
7. The Best New Artist category are full of rappers, except for one of this years’ nominees. Ariana Grande. She is the only female and singer representing in this category, If she wins this will be a great victory for her…especially with the African American audience she has yet to capture.
8. The Viewer’s Choice Award Category gives insight to Pop Culture and the influence of it’s audience. The nominees represent five varieties of Music: Jhene Aiko, Drake, Pharrell, Beyonce & Jay-Z (for “Drunk In Love”) and August Alsina & Trinidad James (for “I Luv This”).
9. THE SHOW WILL NOT BE ABOUT JAY-Z AND BEYONCE! Yes, I love them too, but it becomes cliche when you can predict that everything will be centered around Hip-Hop Royalty. They are dominating the BET Award nominations whether it’s separately or as a duo for “Drunk In Love”. It’s already been announced that they won’t be attending the award show, probably so they won’t upstage others, but they do have the “On The Run” Tour as an excuse this time!
10. Unfortunately the announcement on the death of Bobby Womack meant that BET Executive Producer Stephen Hill had to make immediate changes to the show. I’m sure someone will sing his classic 70’s hits in Mr. Womack’s honor.