RFA - Proposals!
This is for @salarinnar, who wrote,
Hello! I love your writing style so I thought I’d donate! How about MC asking the RFA + the minor trio to marry her? With all that getting on one knee and giving them a proposal ring jazz. Bless u.:)
Thanks so much! I actually did the minor trio proposing to MC awhile ago here, so here’s the rest of the RFA!
(If you’d like a guaranteed request fill, but me a coffee on my Ko-Fi!
- His mother puts the idea in his head, asking him when he’s finally going to propose to that lovely person he’s been seeing for so long. Yoosung swallows, nervous – it’s not that he doesn’t’ want to marry you. In fact, he’s looking forward to it, and often daydreams about having a happily married existence like his own parents share. But… he’s just…
- Worried. He’s scared that he won’t be the right kind of guy for you, and he’s worried that you’ve changed your mind and don’t love him as much as he loves you.
- So he frets. He asks his mom about how his father proposed, he asks his LOLOL friends how they proposed – hell, he asks V how he proposed, being so desperate to get input that he’ll put aside his own feelings for the man.
- He gets a variety of answers, files them away, and keeps thinking.
- When he takes you out to romantic movies, he watches your reaction to the lovey-dovey scenes carefully, taking inspiration from what you say about how the characters handle their own proposals. He reads books, he browses forum threads… and he thinks and overthinks the matter, trying to figure out how to best ask for your hand.
- Yoosung gets the ring while he’s STILL not sure how to propose to you, and as he’s walking home from the store, he gets a panicked call on his cell.
- You’ve found a baby bird and it’s broken it’s WING and YOOSUNG HELP you DON’T’ WANT IT TO DIE, PLEASE COME QUICKLY.
- (you’re crying, and so he runs.)
- Using his veterinarian skills, Yoosung helps you save the bird’s life, and you’re just so… happy and thankful and you hug him, telling him that he’s the best, and Yoosung falls in love with you all over again. You’re so kind! You’re so gentle! You’re so loving!
- You’re so kind to everyone, even the smallest of animals, and on complete impulse, he gets on one knee and busts out his newly acquired ring.
- It’s poorly thought out. It’s spur-of-the-moment. But he’ll never forget the way you light up and hug him, saying “yes!” over and over.
- The two of you laugh about it afterwards, and decide that was probably the most memorable way it could have happened.
- Zen knows you are completely and entirely perfect and,
therefore, he knows that his proposal to you needs to be completely and
entirely perfect in return. How he achieves this Holy Grail of Marital Intent,
though, is a matter of some internal debate.
- He considers going to stereotypical route of wining and
dining you, but that’s a.) not really very him and b.) he can’t think of any
restaurant that matches up to the vivacity that is you. Besides, he’s not really on-the-ball on the whole… restaurant
scene, being that he’s a loser who can barely keep anything more than beer in
- He also considers surprising you on a date, like – at the
zoo, or the aquarium. Or maybe on television in front of thousands during one
of his on-screen appearances? But then it’s pointed out to him that, oops, a
public proposal basically pressures you into saying yes, doesn’t it? And, if
you do say no, it’d open you up to
the onslaught of thousands of his angry fans.
- No. He wants this to be between you and him, where you make
a decision about your future that he’ll respect and appreciate either way… so
he thinks more, and decides to go back to the roots of your early relationship.
- He decides to take you stargazing.
- Zen parks his motorcycle in front of your apartment one
night, furiously texting you and begging you to come outside for an impromptu
date. He already kind of checked to make sure you didn’t have anything planned,
but he’s still over the moon when you a.) don’t get mad he rolled up the street
at 11PM and b.) he hadn’t given you any notice.
- (he thought it would be more romantic like that.)
- You come outside to find him with a picnic basket strapped
to the back of his motorcycle and a big smile on his face, and shaking your head,
you get on behind him and let him take you on whatever wacky adventure he has
- He takes you up to your special place in the mountains, his
jacket protecting your body from the cold and his back shielding your face. You
have your arms around him, and you’ve never felt someone’s warmth as intently
as in that moment.
- The basket is full of all of your favorite foods, no matter
how ‘dumb’ and ‘unromantic’ they are. Do you get all of your nutritional
content from potato chips? That is ok, Zen has packed all the best flavors.
There’s also a blanket, which he spreads out for you, and you lie back and look
at the perfectly clear, beautifully expansive sky.
- You and Zen talk for awhile, pointing out constellations and
making your own, when he gets quiet and reaches into his pocket for something.
He starts talking about how big the world is, and how happy he found you –
you’re like his north star in the darkness of the night. And then he turns on
his side, opening the box and looking at you with complete and total sincerity.
- Will you marry him?
He asks, with only the chirping crickets and the sound of the wind for company.
- Of course you say yes. How could you not? And when you put
the diamond on your finger, you reach out to touch the sky, and admire how the
stone looks like one of those stars glimmering above.
- Jaehee takes you to the aquarium.
- It’s an atypical spot, which makes since given that she’s an
atypical woman. You’re kind of expecting that Jaehee is going to pop the
question sometime soon, as she’s been asking about your feelings regarding the
future, settling down, etc, but when she invites you out that cool, rainy
Saturday, you don’t really expect it’s going to happen then.
- She does it near the end of the day, after she’s taken you to
the dolphin show and endured you stopping at every exhibit and pointing out
which fish represented which members of the RFA. (She bust a gut laughing when
you said the flounder was Jumin.) You’ve already had lunch, and are thinking
about going when you stop in the shark room, which is more of a tunnel than a
room, really. The walls are completely made of glass and, all around you, you
can an awe-inspiring assortment of fish swimming around you (and above you!) in
a mysterious room lit by an ethereal blue glow.
- You find an empty spot to stand, and you press your hands
against the glass, completely entranced. Jaehee watches your profile, and then
taps twice on your shoulder, sinking onto one knee when you look down at her.
- She tells you, as she presents a ring to you in the dim
light, that her entire life… she’s felt like she’s been living in a fish-tank.
Confined, restrained, where she’s just been surviving
under people’s apathetic gazes. She’s never felt like she could explore. Never
felt like she could go on an adventure,
because her entire world was defined by walls of unbreakable glass.
- …Until she met you.
- Now she believes in things. Now she dreams. Now she smiles,
laughs, and no longer feels like she’s just some specimen kept behind a cold, unfeeling wall. And – no matter what you say, yes or no – that knowledge will always stay
- Will you… accompany her beyond the glass walls you’ve helped
her shatter? Together?
- (In the flickering, wavering light, you smile as wide as the
sun and say, yes.)
- It takes a little bit for Jumin to propose, and before he
does so, he takes you on a whirlwind tour of the globe using his private jet
and vast amounts of money.
- You eat baguettes in France. You see the architecture of
Prague. He takes you on a tour of the castles of Scotland, and says that one
day, he’d like to build one for Elizabeth the III. You go see the mountains of
Iceland and the parks of Oslo, the beaches of Bermuda and see the sunset off the
coast of Fiji. You sip margaritas, daiquiris, and pina coladas, you go
horseback riding, you take pottery classes with Jumin and laugh as you make
- You go to art exhibits. Concerts. You go to parties and meet
people, and you drag Jumin out on forest hikes in the dim, lonely woods. You
see snow, rain, sunshine, you go to street markets and film festivals – you even
go fishing with him and watch him pay a five-star chef to prepare what he
caught into a delectable dish for the local catlife.
- The two of you go to Istanbul, a land famous for its large
population of street cats, and Jumin is content in a land that’s devoted to his
favorite feline friends.
- And… at the end of it, on a quiet, deserted beach at the end
of the day, he pops the question.
- He wanted you to see the world before he asked you to marry
him, because he doesn’t want you to ever feel confined when you’re with him. He
wanted you to know what’s out there
before you settled down, and now that you’ve gotten a taste of so much the
earth has to offer…
- Do you want to stay with him still?
- You say yes, saying that – while travelling was fun – it wouldn’t
have been half as amazing without him there by your side. Wanting to go feed
cats, falling off his horse, sharing food with him and laughing… The world’s
amazing, yes, but it’s twice as amazing when you get to experience it with him.
- For once in his life, Jumin is chosen because he is him, and because he made your travels worthwhile… and he smiles, thanking God once
more that he got a chance to experience what life is like with you.
- This man has an entire notebook full of ideas on how to
propose to you.
- There are so many good options! In the climactic moment of an
epic laser-gun battle? Waved in the sky on the banner of a sport-class
airplane? Using a small army of drones? Via youtube video? Oh man, he could do
the classic “write it using the high-scores on an arcade machine”… but is that
too cliché, by this point?
- He only gets one chance to propose, so he should make it th-
- Who, exactly, said he had only one chance to propose?
- (Seven sits down and begins to imagine the possibilities.)
- He launches off the 2017 “War of Proposals” through a
singing telegram delivered by a man cosplaying as Starshine Nyah-Nyah (from
your favorite magical girl anime). Said war is a contest of strength, skill,
and one-uppmanship, where the both of you compete to give the other more
elaborate and unexpected proposals until one of you emerges the victor – and is
allowed to have the “canon” one true proposal.
- HELL YES, you say, and begin to plot.
- You propose to him at the pool, by getting a dance studio to
perform a choreographed routine in the water which ends up spelling out, “Please
- He proposes to you in the movie theatre, where he rents out
adspace that he uses to play a video he’s constructed where he waxes eloquent
about how amazing you are.
- You propose to him in the air and space museum, where you
drop out of one of the airplanes with an explosion of balloons and the words, “Seven,
will you marry me?” emblazoned on your face like war paint.
- He proposes to you by paying a bunch of newbies in LOLOL to
die with their corpses spelling out “Will you spend your life with me?”
- You continue to trade blows like this for an entire month.
Television, radio, the internet – everywhere, there are traces of your
continual war. It isn’t until he takes you on a trip to New York and then hacks
into the Time Square billboards to deliver his heartfelt and impassioned
request that he finally wins, because you cannot
think of a way to one-up that.
- You do, however, help Seven evade the cops after that, which
he is content to call a “draw” in the end.
- (The two of you were so busy plotting that neither actually
bought a ring, so you go to the jewelry store and chose matching ones