Dumb joke that I spent a liiiittle too much time on.
This conversation cracks me up because the look on her face after he gives his “I’m interested in someone else” line means that she either knows exactly what he meant or that she has literally no idea at all what he meant. @ziracona and I voted the latter (And figured she’d loose it cycling through everyone they know for possibilities).
I grew up surrounded by words, quite
literally. By the time I was six months old my parents had taped words
to every surface in the house, so the walls said “wall” the window said
“window” and so on so forth. I still don’t know how they managed to get
the cat involved but some things are meant to be wondered at.
But for the next six years the world was covered in words, as first I learned to read, and then my brother. I dare say if you move some furniture in my parents house to this day you will find a faded piece of paper that says “shelf” or “bookcase” on it. It was a sad day when they were taken down, they were like old friends. But by then the magic had already worked. I was able to look at the world and see words, whether they were printed there or not.
was four when I sat down to consciously write my first story. I remember
it vividly because I had my bright yellow Cadburys Caramel mug, that
had the purple flowing font on the side with the bunny rabbit lady
on it. It was filled with “baby tea”— mostly hot milk with a splash
of tea from the pot to give it color— and I was holding it in both hands, sitting at the
little “art” table dad had built for me in the corner so I had a place
to sit and scribble that wasn’t the walls. Contemplating my next masterpiece I looked around the room for inspiration. Would it be an exploration of color through pinky finger painting only? Or would it be the greatest macaroni interpretation of a dog we’d ever seen? Sadly we’ll never know how this might have worked out, as at that very moment, mum came in holding a crystal mobile and hung it up on the window sill. This in turn had the effect of creating a living, dancing rainbow in the living room, and something in my brain short fused.
That was the day I learned the word “iridescent”. It was like learning the language of angels.
After that I was always scribbling something. My school books were a mess of words, crammed into margins and on back pages. I was always in trouble for letting my mind “wander into whimsy.” Once I got a report card that said “fantastical leanings towards flights of fancy.” It was meant as criticism, but dad still has it framed in the office.
Then there came the time a few years later when I was reading the Hobbit with dad, and I turned to him quite seriously and asked “where are all the girl hobbits?” and dad hemmed and hawed before eventually telling me “they’re in another book, darling…having their own adventure…” and I accepted this and settled back down to let him finish the chapter. He probably thought I forgot about it until that weekend I marched up to the Librarian and asked for “the girl hobbit book please”, which was met with much confusion and my dad rushing over to tell me they probably wouldn’t have it yet because it was very rare. A few weeks later, dad handed me something. It was sheaves of paper bound together by string. It was, he told me, a very exclusive copy of the girl hobbit book.
I still have it somewhere, back home. Probably on a shelf somewhere that still says “shelf”.
And sweet, naive thing that I was, I believed him. It wasn’t until later on and someone else popped my bubble, that I realized dad, not Tolkien, had written it. And oh I was furious, furious because the story had been so good and because dad had lied about not writing it himself. But that small bubbling anger was nothing compared to the heat inside my brain when my dad confessed he’d tried without much success to find books I might like with girls in them. All the heroes were boys, you see. It made me quite tearful actually, that no one had ever thought that someone like me could go off on an adventure and save the world, when I knew it to be a blatant lie. Old Mrs McDougall across the street had been a land girl and saved a man shot down from his spitfire. Mrs Mitchell had been the emergency coordinator and saved people from burning buildings when the Nazis bombed the shipyards, and her skin was all bubbled and tightly pulled across the left side of her face because of it and her hands didn’t quite work because she’d gripped burning metal to try and free the men inside. Those, were heroes. But we never learned about them at school. We only learned about kings and tyrants and the kind of heavily filtered history that lead you to believe that women were in there somewhere, but only in the same sense that a wall has paint on it.
And now my books, my lovely wonderful books, where you could travel through space and time or climb up volcanoes to throw rings inside and save the world…those wonderful colorful worlds that spoke the language of angels, were just the same.
I was ready to cry and be defeated about it until dad, raising his eyebrows at me and offering me a notebook, said, “well, maybe someone ought to write one.”
And you likely know the rest by now. But in short I write because there are stories to be told. I write because it’s the closest I’ll ever be to how the word iridescent feels. I look at the world and I see words, dancing like rainbows, singing like angels.
There’s words everywhere. I’m just scribbling them down.
She walks into English fifteen minutes late, wearing both a deeply unflattering smock and a scowl. Neither are an especially new look on her.
“Vector,” she says under her breath, as an answer to Mary McDonald’s unspoken question. It’s the answer to every question in the room. Ms Vector is notorious among them all for her very strict adherence to the school’s dress code.
“Yes, Miss Evans’ entrance was very exciting, but I’ll have your attention back to the lesson now, please,” says Ms McGonagall. James snaps back to attention. It’s for the best.
“Here,” James says, shrugging off his jacket and thrusting it toward Lily. She gives him this look like, fuck off, and James has to bite his tongue to stop from aggravating her. “They’re doing uniform checks up the hall. Just put it on.”
Evans gives him a very strange look, and it takes him a second to realise that it’s neutral.
She looks good in his jacket.
Every third dress code violation results in a lunch time detention. It’s only October, and Lily’s already had six. She doesn’t look at James as she takes the seat three ahead and one to the left of him.
There’s a thump from somewhere in the back of the classroom, and McGonagall isn’t planning on looking up - it sounds like it came from the general vicinity of Potter and Black, and that’s certainly not a situation she wants to engage with - but the entire class is already turned around to see what the fuss is.
She strides down the aisle between the desks, and is about three years past surprised to find James Potter lying on the floor, gazing at the ceiling, glasses knocked aside.
“Am I boring you so much that you decided to take a nap?” she asks, and James gives this wicked smile, and here we go–
“Sorry, Miss, I can’t get up. It’s Evans’ shoulders - they’re overwhelming me. I simply can’t do anything until she covers them up. Sirius, tell me when it’s safe.”
He’s a funny boy, she’ll give him that. “Potter, get up. This is hardly the time for foolishness.”
Little first moments between the Inquisitor and their love interest that it makes my heart happy to think about:
- The first time Cassandra finds he’s left something for her, a rose lying across her favourite book or a little message scrawled on a piece of parchment cut into the shape of a heart, and realises that the flowers and the candles and the moonlit glade weren’t a one-time thing, this is going to be forever. The first time she picks up the gift and holds it close, knowing it’s not just a gift but a promise that he’s always going to make her feel like one of those women from her books, always going to see the woman inside the armour.
- The first time Blackwall wakes up beside her after she learns the truth, and remembers that he’s not hiding anything from her anymore, she knows exactly who he is and what he’s done and she’s still right here in his arms. The first time he looks at her lying there, and feels tears of a kind he’s not familiar with sting his eyes, tears charged by joy, and at last there’s no burning pang of guilt and grief clawing at his insides - because she knows, and she still chose him, and he can just look at her and be happy.
- The first time Bull slips off his eyepatch, feeling… not awkward, exactly, just very aware that this is the first time his kadan has seen him without it, that so, so few people have ever seen his face just as it is. The first time his lover smiles at him and reaches up and takes his face into their hands, traces the jagged lines of his scars with gentle fingers and presses their lips against them, and murmurs to him that he’s beautiful (and hot, of course).
- The first time Dorian kisses the Inquisitor in a street or in the throne room or in the courtyard, where everyone can see, and his smug grin has a touch of wonder behind it because yes, they can do this, they can show what they feel in front of the entire world and no one is going to come up to them and wrench them apart. The first time he glances at the people who’ve seen them and realises that some of them are even smiling to see them together, that the people around them want them to be happy.
- The first time Solas looks at her and realises with a jolt that he’s stopped seeing the vallaslin, that the silent voice inside him has stopped screaming about the wrongness of it every time he sees her, that while he still wishes it were gone, her face has become the most important thing. The first time that the way she smiles and the warmth in her eyes seem to outshine the marks of her slavery and ignorance, and he aches to think of all she doesn’t know, but she is so beautiful, so beautiful.
- The first time Sera hears the Inquisitor call something shite or frigging and stands frozen for a moment, her grin too wide for her face, because her girlfriend’s speaking like her, those are her words coming from the mouth of the woman she loves. The first time she realises that she’s become a part of the Inquisitor, part of the way she speaks and thinks and lives, and feels joy sweep through her because the Inquisitor is part of her, too, always will be.
- The first time Cullen goes through a whole day with no feverish longing, no shaking, no sick feeling in his stomach, and he knows the battle isn’t over and that all the pain could come back tomorrow, but right now he can look at the Inquisitor and think, this is what the rest of our life could be like. The first time he can really picture long nights and longer mornings beside her with no nightmares and restless sleep, years ahead of listening to her laugh, and he almost cries from the terrifying beauty of it.
- The first time Josephine pens a letter to her family and then stops and stares at what she’s written, because she’s told them all about the Inquisitor and how she hopes to introduce them some day, and just like that it seems so official, it’s set down in ink on parchment that she wants the Inquisitor to be part of her future. The first time she gazes at the letter in awe, because it suddenly seems to be the most precious thing in the world.
alright don’t get me wrong, melissa killed it in the musical episode and the superfriends were really cute but also what if alex got stuck in music meister’s alternate universe instead of kara?
because let’s be real, alex is probably the one who introduced the wizard of oz to kara so her knowledge of movie musicals is pretty widespread
anyways she gets to this universe and meets barry for the first time and is totally 100% ready to deck him in his dopey smiling face
(“barry allen? as in the barry allen who brought my little sister to an alternate universe to fight deadly aliens because your little vigilante task force wasn’t strong enough?? even though her family is literally trained in fighting and taking down aliens? that barry allen?” “i now see that was a mistake.”)
and alex begrudgingly forgiving and agreeing to work together with barry because she has to get home to her family somehow
and barry understanding why kara literally talks about alex all the time, like alex hung the moon or something, because even without powers alex is probably the strongest and most driven person he’s ever met, accepting the mission and diving in headfirst, doing whatever she needs to do to get home.
(alex mostly just wonders how this universe has a pretty accurate replica of kara’s dorky, loving personality in the body of the fastest man alive. she definitely doesn’t take comfort in the similarities between the two. nope, not at all)
((okay, a little bit. but only because there’s something in barry’s smile that just reminds her of kara, of home))
also, barry and alex fighting over which movie was better, singing in the rain, or the wizard of oz. they finally come to a consensus, saying that the sound of music probably tops both.
also, barry completely surprised at how pretty alex’s singing voice is, because lbr chyler’s voice could probably summon angels
and at the end, when both alex and barry get shot, which honestly, i don’t think would’ve happened because alex is probably has more awareness of bullets and the danger of shootouts than both barry and kara combined, let’s be real
and then cisco vibing iris and kara to the alternate universe
kara would most definitely be there because alex, despite the healing she has gone through over the course of the show, still has a very broken, very damaged heart, what with all of that happened with her father, and she’s probably still having nightmares about the white martian mind meld and the myriad mind control, where she turned on the people she loves
plus all of the inner turmoil in her head with her coming out and also trying to balance work, family, and a completely new relationship
alex is damaged goods, but kara’s undying love for alex would definitely remedy that
(and let’s be real, the love goes both ways, what with kara feeling lonely and like she’s losing her sister, her anchor to reality, so alex totally could’ve saved kara in canon, showing that she’ll always be there for kara and is never letting her go.)
anyways, iris and kara are vibed into the alternate universe and barry and iris have their epic true love’s kiss
kara kneeling next to alex, tears streaming down her face, because alex totally couldn’t be dying, alex was the one to save the rest of the superfam. alex was, is, their rock, and alex couldn’t die on her, not like this.
and alex smiling through bloody teeth and “what i wouldn’t give for one of the deo’s bulletproof dresses right about now,” and kara laughs and grips alex’s hand and presses a kiss to alex’s forehead
and then they’re back in star labs and alex is alive, alive, alive
and kara pulls alex into a rib-bruising hug and j'onn joins in and then they all go home
home, to their earth
home, to national city
home, to kara’s apartment, where winn and james and maggie are waiting with pizza and potstickers and cookie dough ice cream
and alex and kara snuggle up on the couch together, surrounded by their friends, their family, and feel so, so loved
Drawn to Life is the weirdest fuckin game because its a cute platformer game and theres this cute and kinda weird character that has half of her face always shaded for some reason…It turns out that its this this boy’s interpretation of his sister because half of her face is bandaged up because they were in a car crash where their parents died and he’s been in a coma the entire game and its all his dream. The art style changes DRASTICALLY and horrifyingly shows every moment of the crash
The drip-drop sound of the summer rain splattering off the red umbrella shielding her was comforting, and loud enough to drown out the sound of her heels squelching in the mud. Beside her walked her source of bodily warmth in the form of Kakashi Hatake, the Sixth Hokage.
It was probably a good thing that the streets were deserted at this time of the day because the infamously lazy Hokage would’ve made quite the sight accompanying the rosette, umbrella clutched in hand. Sakura had no doubt in her mind it would’ve caused at least some traffic.
“Maybe I should’ve assigned someone else for this mission.” He said quietly, she almost didn’t hear him. “Kakashi it’s just a diplomatic mission. Easy stuff."
Sakura chided, her elbow easily finding purchase in his side. "Quit worrying, I’ll be back in a week tops.”
“I’m not worrying.” He immediately disagreed, which was in itself hilarious but she decided to let it go this one time, especially since he carried it on with a quiet: “I guess… well, I’ll miss you."
I threw water in Ingrid’s face because her and her friends called you a slut for hooking up with William. That’s how it works in my “Muslim gangster world”. You don’t judge your friends and you stand up for them no matter what.
so…hey, this is a long one. Might wanna get comfortable, put the kettle on because it’s gonna be a wild ride. This ones for @xbetter-than-wordsx my love, my heart, my pistachio gelato lovin muffin - you’re too good for this world.
I wanna be your vacuum cleaner
breathing in your dust
I wanna be your Ford Cortina
I will never rust
If you like your coffee hot
let me be your coffee pot
You call the shots
I wanna be yours
- I wanna be yours, Arctic Monkeys, original words by the poet John Cooper Clarke.
Final list of reasons why Bethany Young HAS to be important to the endgame in some way
Here are all my reasons why Bethany’s name just has to pop up in this final season. Not saying she’s AD (but she very well could be!) - but at absolute minimum, she is important to the story in some capacity.
1) Dr Cochran said that he delivered two of Mary’s babies - one went to Jessica (Charlotte), the other went to family county services (???) and Veronica confirmed that Spencer went to her. So, there is a third unknown child who grew up in Radley. Who do we know of that grew up in Radley? Bethany.
“Embrace your darkness. I had to. That’s how you win the game. - A.D” This just sounds like someone was forced to live in Radley and ‘put up with it’. They can cry about their life everyday, or they can soak up their circumstances and use it to, oh I dunno, play the A game. Bethany?
2) Dr Cochran referred to the second unknown baby as “underweight but tenacious” which is exactly the words that the writers chose for Toby to call Spencer. They were foreshadowing the similarities between the second baby (Bethany) and Spencer because Bethany is Spencer’s twin.
3) The Aunt Jessie incident. Mary wanted to be close to her daughter (Bethany). She pretended to be Jessica because Jessica was on the board of Radley and was allowed to sign out patients. Bethany started calling Mary “mum” which will blow Mary’s cover - she’s not supposed to be out of Radley - she’s pretending to be Jessica, after all. So, Mary demanded she call her “Aunt Jessie”.
4) Jessica told Mary that the Charles grave is real. This was a huge lie. Could this be why Bethany drew Jessica like this? Bethany thought her sister was dead. (No wonder Mary pretended to be Jessica by sleeping with Peter. She wanted to punish her sister.)
5) The only boy this could possibly be is Charles.So the fact that Bethany was drawing Charles being taken away from her (adopted by Jessica), means that the loss of Charles was important. It’ll make sense for Bethany to be A.D and wanting to avenge Charlotte’s death. The signs of Bethany being angry at the loss of Charlotte is in this picture.
6) What the hell?
Has this got anything to do with the fact that Bethany (a talented artist) never draws her face? Well, it’s tricky to answer because we’ve already seen her face: Troian’s face! She’s Spencer’s twin. Mary had ‘two Spencers’.
7) Charlotte called Wren to tell him that Melissa buried Bethany - what if that wasn’t Charlotte trying to break up Wren and Melissa, but instead, she was just trying to get justice for Bethany by ruining the life of the one who killed her (Melissa killed Bethany as she died from suffocation). This is again foreshadowing the strong connection between Charlotte and Bethany. (Assuming she is dead.)
8) If Bethany really is Spencer’s twin, that means the flashback on the roof with Marion wasn’t depicted properly. Since Charlotte is older than Spencer and therefore older than Spencer’s twin, Charlotte would’ve been older than Bethany. They weren’t the same age. Essentially, the error was NOT that Toby and Alison looked like teenagers when Marion was alive. The error was that Charlotte looked so young. She wasn’t that young.
9) Why would Sara Harvey care about sending letters to Bethany’s parents? This could be Bethany telling her parents that she is alive and well.
OR, maybe that was Sara Harvey, who, under orders from Charlotte, had to send Bethany’s parents flowers. That still highlights the important relationship Charlotte and Bethany had.
10) Was this Bethany in 420?
11) Did Spencer’s twin kill Yvonne? Did the twin provide poisonous those butterscotch biscuits that Yvonne was eating in 713? That could’ve been AD’s dangerous way of doing her sister a favour. “Oh c’mon sis, I know you love Toby. I was doing you a favour!”
12) Letters from A.D. Bethany and Alison DiLaurentis were sending each other letters - is this Bethany’s lair, and she kept Alison’s letters? Is this Bethany’s motive; that Alison lured her to Rosewood to kill her? It’s awfully suspicious that Uber A has a box titled “Letters from A.D.” in their own lair, since they ARE A.D! Well, maybe the letters are from Alison (to Bethany), rather than from Uber A.
The point of this post isn’t really to jump to conclusions; she may be dead, alive, A.D,, a helper, or just another one of Mary’s children. Point being that she is important in some way and I can’t wait to see how. I will be 100% disappointed in the endgame if her name is not even mentioned in some way. I’ll be sure to update this if I think of more reasons as to why she is important to the story!
Funny how actual celebrity Harry Styles can arrive in the U.S. without fanfare and without a horde of paps documenting his every step through the airport but Eleanor Calder girlfriend of Louis Tomlinson couldn’t leave without 30 paps in her face, airport security leading her out and a hat to cover her face because she’s totally recognizable on her own yet she managed to arrive in LA without anyone knowing. Funny that.