Just Dating Nyx Ulric Things:
(except I probably failed at the style but WHATEVERRRRR)
- Nyx Ulric is someone who’s been through a lot. He’s lived so long in a way that’s just surviving in the battlefield and scrabbling for what home he can throw together as a side thought that to have someone so important to him feels like more of a blessing than he deserves. You are more than he feels he deserves, but he will try so hard to deserve you.
- His way is through action, not words. It can seem like he often does things without thinking them through, which, to be fair, is likely true. He’s a good soldier because that dependence on his instincts doesn’t allow anything but the fight in his heart and magic in his veins. But once he’s out of the battlefield, he can be brash, for better or for worse. He can hurt you by saying something he didn’t think through, and he will have trouble forgiving himself if he does. But he doesn’t care about himself. He cares about you. And he would do anything for you to forgive him.
- Being a Glaive with him is something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it’s spending more time with Nyx, it’s training together (the oh-so-beloved “sparring leads to sexual tension leads to making out,” trope), it’s being able to protect each other. On the other, it’s you both being in danger, it’s him risking his life to protect yours and vice-versa. It’s stressful enough being a member of the Kingsglaive, being tasked with protecting Lucis from Niflheim, to risk your life to protect hearth and home, but to know you have more on the battlefield you need to keep safe than just hearth and home, when your heart, your home is on the line, suddenly it’s that much worse. It hurts. But you survive knowing you have each other’s backs, and that the only thing that would hurt more than the risk of the other being hurt out in the field is the idea of not being able to protect each other.
- You’re going to be seeing Nyx at his best, but you’ll also see him at his worst. And often those worsts come with his nightmares, his times remembering everything and everyone he’s lost. His sister’s death, friends who joined the list of victims of the war with Niflheim known both in Galahd or just as a fellow Glaive, they all haunt him. He may not want to talk about anything with you, but stay with him. Give him your hand. Let him hold onto you, steady his breathing into your shoulder. Let him assure himself that he’s safe, you’re safe, you’re here. It may hurt to see him like this but know that you do make it better. And when he does talk to you about the people he knew who have died, know you make it better. They aren’t gone, they haven’t stopped hurting, but. You do make him feel less empty when grief tries to empty him.
- Nyx Ulric is really really attractive. Nyx Ulric is also really really aware of this. He is very aware of the fact you stare, very aware of the fact you like the way he looks. He loves it. Grins whenever he catches you. Laughs no matter whether you hide away on being caught or just continue to stare. Nyx Ulric is an attractive asshole and you should shut him up with your mouth on his mouth is what I’m saying.
- He catches people’s eye easily, he knows this as well, but you don’t have to worry about it. He only has eyes for you. He promises this with a kiss to the temple and then an extra one to the lips.
- If anything, in his mind, it’s far more likely you’ll wise up and leave him. He’s not about to say this. But the nights his doubts poke too many holes into him for him to not have to seek comfort in you, to seek reassurance. His kisses get more insistent, his hands grasp at you more insistently, he holds you that much closer. You catch him by surprise by getting up in the middle of the night, one of those nights, you may just get his blood to turn cold enough for him to murmur his fears: “Please don’t leave.”
- He could swear his heart’s never felt warmer when you curl up back next to him.
- Crowe and Libertus and Pelna are Nyx’s best friends and play such a huge role in his life, you cannot be in Nyx’s life without being a part of theirs as well. Crowe will be such a protective, fast friend of yours, will gladly (mostly facetiously) tell Nyx off for minor infractions of date etiquette. Libertus is more or less inclined to share embarrassing stories about Nyx. Pelna is a softer influence, but he’s still a wonderful friend. And Nyx is left fully happy that he’s able to bring you to Yama’s with everybody. Always leads to a wonderful night.
- I would like to direct you to this set of domestic headcanons created by the wonderful @luvleekaotix-imagines/@thatonedaydream as they do fully exemplify domestic Nyx. Also the cat. Just. Wonderful.
- Lazy mornings with Nyx are like. LEGIT. The best. The warmth. The feeling of not having to do anything but just staying together. The soft rise and fall of his breath. Drifting in and out of sleep with his arm around you. He feels safe with you in his arms. He feels at home with you in his arms.
- (And then the cat ruins it by sticking its claws in Nyx’s leg for not feeding it when he normally does because he didn’t get up and he just sorta half-sits up to give this sleepy sorta glare and pointedly say, “Ow???”)
- But when he gets up and feeds the cat and then comes back and lays down with an exaggerated groan of effort, he’s more than likely to lay down partially on top of you, almost cat-like in the lazy way he nuzzles into your neck, those mornings are his favorite, when he can stay with you. Those mornings are a must-have.