so i have been researching autism and aspergers and i have seen a therapist that says that i have most of the traits. so i wanted to know if it was normal to be constantly irritated by others, especially when they ask lots of questions?
I know that’s been my experience! If my parents have complained about it to any professionals knowledgable about autism they seem to accept it as a usual thing.
I’m not sure exactly why it is but I think that it can be a mixture of things depending on the situation, such as:
- timing (not wanting to answer questions about something because I’m busy doing something else)
- energy (so not wanting to have to deal with questions because it’s exhausting having to try to think up how to explain and then actually verbalise it)
- lack of interest (if the questions aren’t about something I’m interested in or interested in talking about, I suppose irritability could be caused by boredom - I also get very irritable if other people are telling me things and I don’t want to listen because I’m not interested)
- anxiety (that someone might make fun of me or challenge me in some way - for example, if someone asks what came in the post for me and I don’t want to tell them in case they respond negatively to the idea of me buying myself something that they don’t see the point in).
- a strong desire for privacy (so irritation over someone wanting you to talk about something you don’t want to talk about, or irritation over someone asking you a question in front of other people who you don’t want to have to discuss things with)
- frustration over it literally just being difficult to answer, even if they’re seemingly quite simple questions, or over the questions seeming silly.
- confusion (not understanding what they’re specifically asking, what kind of answer they require, why they’re asking it, etc).
Do others experience this?