In the novel adapted from the movie, there is a scene during the final battle where Lefou tells Belle “Gaston is upstairs !”. It didn’t appeared in the movie but I think it will be in the deleted scenes.
I have some opinions/thoughts that I’d really love to get off my chest even if other people think I’m completely wrong.
Gaston did not deserve to die, Gaston was hardly a bad person, Gaston was basically forced into being the villian of this story.
[I’m referring to the 2017 remake of BATB rather than the original animation.]
Let’s point out some difference between the 1991 Gaston and 2017 Gaston
-2017 Gaston was not a misogynist
-did not abuse Lefou
-Like for fucksakes, the friendship between Lefou and Gaston was so genuine. I’m frequently seeing these things around Gafou is an abusive ship, buts it’s really not? He tells Lefou ‘thank you’ says ‘you’re the best Lefou’ sincerely asks ‘how has no woman snatched you up?’, messes around with Lefou like buds (wrestling bite marks, picking him up to demonstrate strength, gets on the table and dances with him), let’s Lefou calm him down and boop his nose, and not once does he insult or hurt even when it seemed like he would (after Lefou wrapped his arms around him, or when he couldn’t spell his name, when he said ‘who needs her when you’ve got us’, etc). They’re sincerely good, close friends, but don’t worry I’m not ignoring all the shitty things Gaston did to Lefou I will get to that in a second.
-I said he’s not a misogynist, right? Cause that’s important. Big step away from the OG.
-Doesn’t insult Belle for reading
-Instead he feigns interest in the book because he knows it’s her interest
-even brings her flowers, whataguy
-Has manners (“excuse me, please let me through” going through the crowd, didn’t push everyone out of his way)
-Goes to her rescue when the town’s people are being mean (sure this is because he wanted to be the hero to seduce her, but seriously he was one of the few people who didn’t harass or bully Belle for being different)
-Doesn’t call Maurice crazy and instead offers his help to soothe the men (again, seduction, but seriously he’s still being polite and helping the underdog unlike the OG)
I’ll probably think of more things to add to this Gaston-wasnt-an-asshole list but I think this basically gets the point across that, well, Gaston wasn’t an asshole. He was immensely vain, yes, but that doesn’t mean he was a bad person.
Cus ya know who else started out incredibly vain but still managed to be the fucking prince in this story?
Yep, the Beast/Adam of course.
Time to do some comparing of the prince and the villian because spoiler alert, they basically parallel each other.
I’ll begin this part with Belle’s comment of, “No one can change THAT much, Gaston”
LITERALLY SHUT THE FUCK UP ARE YOU SERIOUS
This line pissed me off immensely, because that’s literally Adam’s entire character arc, changing himself completely, literally and figuratively.
Like I’m sorry you wanna do a repeat of the song “Something there” aka the song where the lyrics are basically “he was an asshole brute who I hated but now he’s c h a n g e d”
Literally so pissed off at that all.
But as I was saying, Gaston basically mirrors Adam’s arc, meaning to say they’re practically the same character things going on but sorta reversed.
-Upon first meeting Belle, the Beast locks her father then her in a tower and is a huge dick but then they bond over books and he gives her flowers and he’s nice to her.
-Upon first interacting with Belle, Gaston is nice to her, gives her flowers, tries to bond over books, but then he’s a huge dick and locks her father and then her in a cart.
Do you see what I did there? Literally the same actions, but backwards.
Let’s do some more comparing.
-They both have terrible, terrible tempers.
But you know what? The Beasts is definitely a lot worse than Gaston’s.
Let’s review how both Gaston and Adam dealt with Belle’s dinner rejection
-Beast: literally motherfucking demands she has dinner with him, bangs his paws on the door, scrEAMS at her, and then announces she can starve if she won’t eat with him
-Gaston: [not direct quotes, can’t remember exact words but basically what he says] “oh, busy?” nope “okay, then some other time?” boom that’s that. Yeah he still is persistent on winning her over even after this rejection but the man handled it a lot better then Adam (and he brought flowers for her dinner table).
I’m about to move on from Adam and start talking about how Gaston treated Lefou in a sec, but I would just really really really like to put some emphasis on the fact that both Adam and Gaston were incredibly narcissistic men. The amount of self pride and conceded they have is in the beginning is completely parallel and it leads to both of their unfortunate fates. The point in this, is Gaston is not a bad guy just because he loves himself a bit much, just as the Beast was not a bad guy for loving himself too much. Like, the way Adam turns down Agatha for being ugly seems exactly like something Gaston would do, so why does the movie end with Gaston dying while the Beast learns his lesson and gets his happily ever after?
Because, the OG Gaston was truly an asshole who deserved to die and this 2017 remake of course had to stay true to the story. Even though this Gaston really wasn’t a true villian and didn’t deserve to die – rather he deserves a redemption arc just as Adam was given – he died anyway because that’s how the story goes.
Anyway, I’ll get on with this and bring back Lefou.
Some of you have probably been reading this while thinking “But Marley [das my name], Gaston was a shitty person, he wasn’t a good friend to Lefou at all because he manipulated him, let him get punched in the face, didn’t protect him at all, and threatened to lock him up. Plus, he was only into Belle because she’s pretty.”
Alright alright alright: Lefou.
He’s an exceedingly important character as he gives us insight to Gaston’s character.
Two crucial things he reveals about Gaston … .
-Gaston has anger issues. My father has anger issues, and so do I, and we both are on meds for it. Let me say, having anger management problems and getting angry are very different things. It’s just like he having anxiety and getting nervous are very different things. I think most of you can probably relate or understand anxiety more then anger issues, so just put yourself in Gaston’s shoes with that in mind. Anyway, back to Lefou. He shows us that Gaston has anger issues when he rushes to Gaston’s aid by saying “deep breathes” and then “think about the war”. He tells us that Gaston has coping mechanisms for when he gets like this. Does it matter if Gaston has anger problems? Does it make him less of a dick? Like, seriously Marley, does this information really make up for any of the things he did? Yes, yes it does matter. It’s like when you/someone your love is having an anxiety attack, or when you fall into a depressive episode, or when a loved one acts out of PTSD [which Gaston could totally completely have], or when someone with schizophrenia or delusions starts having episodes, it’s basically exactly like whenever anyone’s mental illness starts to act up. You don’t feel like yourself and you don’t so things you would normally do. This is definitely the case for Gaston; he acts out of character when he gets angry like this. And that’s my second point that Lefou proves in this movie.
-Gaston is not being himself when he starts doing all that terrible shit that leads him to his demise. Lefou makes it fairly obvious that that is not how Gaston usually acts. He does this in numerous ways which I will quickly try to summarize and go through: 1) Questions Gaston. Obviously if Gaston often tied up old men to trees or in general left people to die, Lefou would have just went with it instead of going “are you sure?” 2) doesn’t immediately lie to save Gaston’s ass. Again, if Gaston frequently had Lefou lie for him, then it would have came to Lefou like second nature and he wouldn’t have hesitated. 3) Once more, questioning Gaston. The scene I’m about to refer to is when Gaston locks Belle and her father in the carriage. Lefou grabs Gaston’s arm and goes to question him again, but before he can Gaston threatens to lock him up as well. Dick move on Gastons end, no? But this isn’t something he would normally do or say to Lefou, for if it was Lefou wouldn’t have bothered speaking up because he would have known what Gaston’s reaction would be. Instead, Lefou is used to being able to talk sense into Gaston and reason with him (refer back to nose boop scene). 4) Running to Gaston’s side for protection during the fight [castle scene]. Lefou is probably used to having Gaston protect him during fights (war time) and obviously didn’t expect Gaston to throw him to the enemy. Like, yous guys heard him shriek Gaston’s name before the piano fell on him, right? He was obviously expecting Gaston to rescue him. Even after he’s trapped under the piano, he still reaches and calls out for Gaston. The way Gaston is acting is not the Gaston he knows. 5?) “I was on Gaston’s side, but we are so in a bad place right now” [however he says it you know the line I’m referring to]. Aight I think this is the one line that really captures the point I’m trying to make. Lefou has switched sides because Gaston is being a major douchebag and Lefou’s not having it. Lefou doesn’t put up with being treated like shit [MrsPotts saying he deserves better and Lefou agreeing]. So o b v i o u s l y Lefou is not used to Gaston being so cruel and angry. If Gaston treated Lefou like this all the time, then Lefou wouldn’t be by his side [because he left his side once he started acting like this]. Lefou knows how he should be treated, and how he’s being treated is not what he’s used to.
You dig what I’m saying? I’m kinda rushing through these points because I’m getting tired of this.
Alright, last point, as I mentioned above, ‘Gaston only wanted Belle because she was beautiful’
Alright alright alright
I’m not even going to talk about the Gaston in this point, I’m just going to talk about the huge flaw that is Beauty and the Beast.
Adam is turned into the Beast because he needs to learn to not judge people by how they look, he needs to learn that it’s what’s on the inside that matters.
So why is Belle the one that learns this lesson?
Adam falls in love with a gorgeous girl, meanwhile Belle falls in love with a hideous monster who turns into a nice dude on the inside.
Belle is the character who learned to not judge a book by its cover [cover being a monsterous beast but inside he is a gorgeous prince].
As soon as Belle walked into the castle, all the furniture was like “yooooo she could be the one, master hit her up” and instantly Adam’s like “well I need a girl to fall in love with to break my curse and she cute yeah let’s do it”.
Like of course there’s more to our then this, but what I’m trying to say is Adam had already planned to try to charm Belle before he knew what kind of person he was because he was desperate to break the curse.
So he and everyone in the castle just saw her and was like “she was a girl, he was a boy, can I make it anymore obvious?”
So anyway anyway anyway, Gaston was only interested in Belle because she was beautiful and he wanted a wife, but Beast was only interested in Belle because she was beautiful and could break the spell. See the parallels again? Like, Beast later fell in love with Belle for who she was and she made him a better person, Gaston could have totally done the same thing.
And okay, there’s no proof Beast cared that Belle was beautiful or not, but yo, Disney definitely should have made Belle ugly af so when Adam met her the snob in him would have been “ew she’s ugly, next” and then Lumiere and Mrs. Potts woulda been like “boi Imma whoop yo ass if you don’t give that girl a try, I don’t care how fucked up her teeth are smfh” and then Adam would have learned the lesson that the enchantress was trying to school him about in the first place [this applies to the 1991 animated film, not directly at the 2017 btw]
Well I was trying to keep this professional and moreso eloquently written but you can tell I’m coming out of my cage and I’ve been doing just fine gotta gotta be down because I want it all
Okay okay okay
I believe we’re nearing the end.
I believe I’ve said all I needed to say made all the points I could [honestly definitely not because I’m constantly thinking about this and arguing with no one in my head, I have a lot to say and later I’ll be making toast and be like “anD ONE MORE THING”]
I’m very upset Gaston died because he wasn’t a terrible enough character to deserve death.
So Dear Disney,
either make Gaston more of a shitty person, or bring him back to life. I’ll be waiting for an apology letter until this is done.
Of course I’m kidding.
I just have such a love and passion for Gaston and I’m truly sick of hearing people tell me that Gafou is an abusive ship and Gaston is a villian.
And if you refuse to see that Gaston wasn’t a bad guy but still believe that Adam is such a prince than you’re insanely hypocritical.
People just see what they want to see.
Also I’m terribly sorry for making this so diddly damn long, I honestly have no idea how to do the cutoff “Show more” thing, I’m on mobile. So sorry if you’re trying to rapidly scroll past all of this and it’s taking forever.
But honestly fuck you don’t scroll past my argument.
And also if you legit read all this then motherfucking congratulations to you. Like I don’t even want to read all of this shit to edit it.
1. BUY YOUR SKIN TONE. Whether you have pink undertones or yellow, buy the product that balances your undertones and evens out your facial color.
2. Never highlight in the center of your forehead; instead, highlight just above your brow to ensure your forehead doesnt like like a four-and-a-half head.
3. Follow your natural eyebrow shape. Not every brow has to look ig fleaky. Also, when filling in, draw your hairs in fine, controlled movements in the direction of hair growth.
4. Always always always moisturize and prime before putting on makeup to make it last, and to protect your skin.
5. When doing eyeshadow, always do your transition shade first, then your crease, and then your lid color.
6. When doing a cut crease look, apply and blend your transition shade and crease. Then, trace ONLY your physical lid with concealer. Pat the concealer to blend, and before applying any shadow to your lid, APPLY TRANSLUCENT POWDER TO THE LID. This will make your color stick and last longer.
7. Wait a few minutes for your foundation to dry before applying any concealer or powder. This ensures a smoother finish, and makes the look last longer.
8. There are 2 types of concealers you need: one with an illuminating finish, for highlighting, and one with a matte finish, for coverage. Use the illuminating one on your T Zone, and use the matte one on undereye bags and blemishes.
9. Apply setting spray between doing your brows, face, and eyes instead of just one spray at the end. Itll make your face last a lot longer.
10. To avoid fallout, and to guide your eyeliner wing and creater a sharper look, apply a line of translucent powder at the outer corner of your eye in the direction of where you want your shadow or wing to go before you apply any eye makeup.
11. Curl your lashes before mascara.
12. Have a separate blending brush for your eyeshadow. This keeps colors from being overly pigmented and makes for a cleaner blend. I recommend ths BH Cosmetics eyeshadow brush kit ($9.99 on their site).
13. Wait until your mascara is completely dry before applying a separate coat to avoid any clumping or spider lashes.
14. Applying a thin layer of transluceny powdet between coats of lipstick helps to keep it on and pigmented (it also makes any lipstick look matte).
15. Use a colored eyeshadow as your inner corner highlight if you want a subtle colored look.
16. Let your face breathe; makeup is lit and I love wearing a full face, but you need to let your skin relax and regroup to avoid clogging your pores.
17. Applying a small amount of petroleum jelly or moisturizer to your cheekbones before adding highlight will give you a fuckin blinding glo✨
18. Never ever ever sleep with makeup on
19. If you want a more natural finish, or you want to lighten the shade of your foundation, mix your foundation with some moisturizer before applying.
20. Always use a slightly lighter contour shade on your jawline than on your cheeks/nose/forehead. If your jawline is contoured too dark, it can make your face look extremely unnatural.
21. Always wet your beauty blender before using it for an easier blend.
22. Always blend your foundation into your neck and your ears to make the shade look more uniform and natural.
23. The whole concealer vs. foundation comes first debate is still a thing, but what works best for me is this order: color correcting and spot treatment concealer (for dark spots, undereye circles, pimples, etc), then foundation, then highlighting concealer.
24. If you use eyeliner on your lower waterline, apply some black eyeshadow with an eyeliner brush onto your waterline after applying pencil to make it last longer.
25. If you’re ever in a pinch, or want a monochromatic look, use a pink/red toned eyeshadow as your blush.
26. Sort of the same as number 25, but you can also use a light, shimmery eyeshadow as a highlight.
27. Everyone’s face is different; theres a look for everyone. Experiment with different shades and shapes to find the look that you think suits you best.
28. Remember, practice makes perfect!!
What she means:
I cannot believe the song Evermore (gracing the public's ears for the first in the year of our Lord 2017) even exists. You take a beloved Disney classic like Beauty and the Beast (which was the first animated film to ever be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars) and attempted a live action, CGI packed (but amazingly well done), musical and not only make it gorgeous and aesthetically pleasing to the eye, stay true to the beloved story while still adding new elements to it, but also giving the other main character a NEW solo song and make it instantly (in my humble opinion) the most favored song on a soundtrack that's already beloved by millions (a majority millennials mind you) perfectly crafting it to fit the amazing Dan tenor looking but is actually a bass Stevens who is truly singing his heart out about losing the only person who's ever really been there for him with such passion that is brought tears to my eyes and oh wOW I👏🏼am👏🏼so👏🏼blessed👏🏼