I saw IT (2017) for the first time. Here are my thoughts:
- The acting in this movie is fantastic. All of the child actors do a great job and Bill Skarsgård delivered one of the most terrifying performances in recent memory. Pennywise could be one of my new favourite horror monsters.
- The characters are also extremely well written. Whether it is the likeable main cast or the vile bullies they have to deal with, I couldn’t help but feel like these were real people in a very surreal experience. Everyone has clear motivations and backstories.
- The cinematography and editing were on point. Not very often you have a horror movie that is so beautiful.
- The special effects were well used to add to the scares rather than detract. There were times where I couldn’t tell VFX from practical and Skarsgård’s commitment to the role only made this more difficult.
- The ending leaves you hooked for more. Definitely coming back for the sequel.
- The gender politics of this movie suuuuuck and reinforce some awful, outdated Nice Guy tropes. It doesn’t help that the only girl in the main cast has a fear associated with sexual abuse.
I really enjoyed this movie and if all horror films were as good as IT I would head to the theatres for scares way more often. 8/10