sorry for a kind of serious ask, but how do you cope with having adhd in high school? i started my freshman year last september and it's been so stressful for me to deal with bc my adhd is making it hard for me to accomplish what my teachers set as "the requirement" (aka memorizing everything, being able to organize 15 pages worth of study guides) and i was wondering if there were any methods that have helped you deal with school??
- Ask for help. I’m serious! My pride seriously took a hit the first time I asked for an extension or further clarification, but like. Suck it up. I realized, probably too late, that ADHD puts us on a different track as everyone else. Or, we’re running the same race, but we’ve got all these shitty obstacles in the way. It’s okay to ask for help. We’re not lazy; we just need an extra boost to keep up and stay up with everyone else.
- I take lots of notes, and always by hand lol. I try to put away anything distracting, because otherwise I will be distracted. So no phones, no laptops, maybe even no music when I’m in class/doing homework at home.
- People always tell me they love to listen to music while they do homework but imo it sucks?? Like the only subject I can do it in is math lmao. Science/English/etc requires so much upfront thinking?? Meanwhile with math you can kind of backseat drive if you know the material well enough lol
- Don’t compare yourself against others because again, results are so skewed and shit is so fucked and it’ll just make you feel terrible for doing your best. Stay in thy lane and all that.
- If you think you need meds, go to your doctor and ask if you can get some. If you can, great! But remember: They only work if you TAKE THEM. It’s easier than you may think to forget to take your meds, and then you’ll be suffering for the rest of the day lmao.
- Double check with other people? Again, don’t compare your grades or anything, but it doesn’t hurt to go up to someone in your class and just start talking about the day’s lesson? Like it helps you make friends, it’s fun to gripe about a teacher, but you also make sure that you got everything down. Because again, the notes you take are the ones you’ll study from right before a class.
- If you’re having trouble paying attention in class, maybe buy a fidget toy? They’re super cheap and keep your hands occupied. Most teachers post their notes for the day online, so read through those as well.
Going above and beyond for things honestly tires me out so fast lmao so your fifteen-page notes packets sound like hell. I’m pretty good at memorizing things just by reading them so I can’t really offer you any advice on that aspect… Maybe change up the monotony and turn things into silly rhymes or funny jokes?? Idk man. Ultimately I would just google or ask a professional? Lol.