ban-on-women-in-combat

usatoday.com
BREAKING: Military will open all combat jobs to women, Defense secretary announces
WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Ashton Carter on Thursday said... All U.S. military combat jobs, including infantry units, will be open to women beginning next year, Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced Thursday.

“Carter said the decision was part of his commitment to build a force of the future. The ban will be lifted in 30 days, he said, and the services have until April 1 to accommodate women in all roles.

The armed services had been given a Dec. 31 deadline to allow women into all of its units, including elite special operations ground combat position, or to request a waiver. Those exceptions had to be backed by data showing why women would not be able to accomplish the necessary tasks.

Carter acknowledged that the Marines asked for some exceptions, Carter said, “but we are a joint force.”

“​There will be no exceptions,” Carter said.

Carter’s decision comes almost three years after his predecessor Leon Panettaannounced that he had lifted the two-decade ban that prevented women from most combat jobs.

Read the full piece and watch the video here