2 Cups All Purpose Flour (280g)
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (1.3g)
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt (1.5g)
- ¾ Cup Butter or Margarine, Softened (150g)
- ½ Cup Sugar (95g)
- 1 Egg
- 1 ¾ Teaspoon Pumpkin Spice Extract (8ml)
- 16 oz. Confectioners’ Sugar (453g)
- 2 Egg Whites
- 2 Teaspoons Water
- Food Coloring in Fall Colors (Red, Orange, Yellow, etc.)
| Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, and salt; set aside. Cream sugar and
butter together until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat just until well
incorporated. Mix in the pumpkin spice extract.
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture all at once and beat until
combined. Flatten the dough to 1 inch thickness and wrap with plastic
wrap. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°F with oven racks at center positions.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness.
Cut with leaf or Fall themed cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to
parchment lined baking sheets, setting them about ½ inch apart.
(Re-roll dough scraps as needed.)
- Bake cookies for 9 minutes, rotate baking sheets, then bake an
additional 3-5 minutes or until edges are slightly golden brown.
Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool completely before
- To prepare the icing, beat the egg whites and water until frothy. Add
the powdered sugar one cup at a time while continuously beating at low
speed. (Add 1 teaspoon of water if needed to make desired consistency.)
Divide icing and tint with the colors of your choice. (Cover icing with
plastic wrap when not in use.)
- Spread or pipe a thin layer of icing over each cookie. Dot cookies with a different colored icing and blend with a toothpick for a swirl effect. Let the icing dry completely, 15-20 minutes, before serving.