Okay yes, he’s adorable and kind and has endearing quirks and takes loving care of his creatures. You won’t hear me denying that. But…
I feel like people have been characterizing him a bit incorrectly. Like, people see him as vulnerable and awkward and nervous, but, well…
1. He’s badass. He jumped into the fray and apparated along the rooftops to save Credence. He’s every bit as brave as a Gryffindor, though he does it for different reasons. He was the one who subdued Grindelwald (while still in pain from the Cruciatus curse) and used the Revelio charm. And then, y’know, saved the whole wizarding world from exposure. And when he saved Tina? “I’ve got you?” Of course we’re all swooning at that, and it’s not because he’s a cinnamon roll.
2. We know he’s been hurt in the past and that he doesn’t quite understand humans, but he doesn’t really deliberately shy away from them either. He’s perfectly content to start hanging out with Jacob, and has no problem making friends with him. In fact, he’s the one to invite Jacob into his case.
3. In most of the fics I’ve read, Newt is extremely shy and nervous about approaching Tina (or “y/n”). But in canon? He seemed pretty confident to me when he tucked her hair back. He wasn’t stuttering like nearly every single fic shows him doing (not that there’d be anything wrong with it if he did, but he doesn’t). Yes, he was a bit awkward, but he wasn’t really all that nervous.
4. Another thing about fics: They always portray him as anxious. But this is the guy who said “My philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice.” I’m not sure if this precludes him from being a cinnamon roll, but I thought it was worth pointing out.
5. He’s quite good at magic. Consider the whole world he created in his suitcase using Undetectable Extension Charms and as well as many other spells, I’m sure. Also, Apparition isn’t simple; it requires both concentration and clear visualization of the destination. Newt Apparated along the rooftops in pursuit of the Obscurus, and then again several times in the Subway station to get away from it while battling Grindelwald and trying to calm Credence down. I know Apparition isn’t as hard when the destination is very close by, but still, if that’s not impressive, I don’t know what is.
6. Do you remember that time he threw the Swooping Evil in Jacob’s face because it was funny?? Yeah. Not so cinnamon-roll-y. (Thanks to @misshufflpuff for reminding me of this!)
7. He is sexy. Oh my goodness. Everyone talks about how cute and sweet he is but let’s be real, this man is also INCREDIBLY physically attractive. Why don’t we talk about that more? (If it’s because we don’t want to objectify Eddie, that’s an acceptable answer. Still and all.)
8. “I will protect him!” Oh no, honey. Newt Scamander will protect you. (Unless you’re Tina and an Auror, in which case you’ll protect each other.)