Some Oddly Specific Character Quirks (taken from my real-life friends)
Giving a character strange, highly specific quirks is one of the best ways to humanize them and make them feel more real. So I figured I’d share some real, actual Character Quirks™ from real life people that could serve as inspiration or as writing prompts for people’s characters. Let me know if you use one!
Always has a kazoo on them, and if ever a situation calls for it, will simply produce a kazoo. Often unclear where they were keeping it.
Can mimic any accent perfectly after hearing a small sample of it once. The one exception? The accent of the region they’re from.
Has strange and very long chunks of text memorized perfectly, from 40 digits of pi to several Shakespeare monologues to poems to favorite passages from books. Often forgets their own name or the words for everyday objects.
Has never once lost a game of Jenga, ever.
When stressed, participates in conversations largely through strange and loud vocalizations instead of words. Somehow, everyone still knows what they mean.
Their idea of treating themselves is buying lapel flowers, silk pocket squares, and ties.
Once biked 30 miles to the Mississippi River just so they could sit on the bank and play the harmonica. Could only play for about 3 minutes before having to immediately turn around and bike the 30 mile return trip to get home before dark.
When they get nervous they just drop and start doing push ups. Doesn’t matter where they are.
Ordered 13 boxes of garlic triscuits off of Amazon.
Whenever they hear the song “Dancing Queen” they start stripping. It started as a joke but it has become involuntary and has lead to some uncomfortable situations.
Every time they tell a bad joke, they stand up and take a lap around the room yelling “AND THE CROWD GOES WILD”
Primary mode of transportation is a razor scooter that is much, much too small for them.
Has an “off button” on their back. A spot where, if pressed, all of their muscles give out and they collapse to the ground. Their identical twin has it, too.
If no emoji exists to capture their feelings about something, they will draw a new emoji on the nearest scrap of paper and text a picture of that.
Has developed an intricate burp rating scale with specific and standardized rules and uses it to rate every burp they hear on a scale of 1-10.
Feel free to reblog and add some Real Life Character Quirks you’ve come across in your life!
- in a constant loop between “you know what FUCK SOCIETY I WILL LIVE MY LIFE HOWEVER I WANT AND DO WHATEVER I WANT” and “i still lowkey want to please people around me and not cause too much conflict tho”
- that thing when an ESFP starts describing a situation and they play out all people in it and they do it SO GOOD and it’s SO FUNNY do they all do that
- at the centre of attention is where they will be
- somehow doesn’t exactly belong to any group but is considered a part of every group
- me: oh yesterday I’ve met /that person you have no chances of knowing/
ESFP: ooooOOOH I KNOW THEM
- is never home but somehow manages to sleep?????
- BEST LITERARY TASTES. If ENFP tells you to read that book you go read that book I’m telling you
- “and they told me to do it but you know it’s stupid so i’m not gonna do it”
- can be super annoyed by people they love, but remains loyal to their group
- angry with all their body, vivid gestures included. generally they are moving all the time.
- somehow pretty charismatic and it looks like they feel easy in a leader position
- life isn’t a competition EXCEPT FOR WHEN IT IS
- i know only one and they are the class president somehow??????
- “WHEN I SEE MY MOTHER CRY I’M READY TO KILL SOME FUCKERS RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW”
- i mean puns, ready to write to you at 3 AM just to proudly write a pun they’ve just come up with
- oh no you are sad??? it’s okay they will bake cookies or smh
- the more personal conversation gets the more “lmao” there is
- you can say when they feel happy to be around you and it’s just so adorable
- they are so smart & try to act like they aren’t & everyone can see they are smart anyway so you failed, entp
- entp: i’m going to try doing that new thing and it will be awesome and i will love it!
entp, later: it sucks
entp, even more later: NO YOU KNOW IT WAS COOL ALL ALONG
- *drinks awful juice for the first time* *eats awful meal for the first time* “ohhh it’s… pretty good!”
- really happy to be a part of some group but won’t say it out loud
- “and it was THEN when my Fe destroyed me!!”
- looks pretty egocentric & has the lowest self-esteem around
- “if I don’t like it I won’t do it, it’s just that easy”
- they are all attention whores (me too, infps)
- w r i t i n g
- SO LOYAL LIKE IF AN ISTP LIKES YOU THERE’S LIKE 0.000001% CHANCE THAT THEY WILL EVER LET YOU GO
- after reading this will probably try explaining to me why the math comparison was wrong and didn’t fit
- have such a hard time expressing their feelings
- if they like you and they can talk to you about their day they are so happy? just talk about what they were doing, really.
- “i feel bad? well i guess i will just bottle it up forever”
- can be rly rly quiet & needs a lot of alone time
- there’s objective logic everywhere just let me find it logic is my bitch
- they will be frustrated if you don’t make sense to them but they will try to understand - if not because they like you then at least for science reasons because “what is that wild creature and why do they act like that, i must observe”
- “sarcasm is the only way I speak”
- I LOVE
- when I start talking to an INTP the 7 hours long conversation is almost guaranteed
- they seem so genuinely interested in what you have to say and ask questions and stuff & what they say makes you genuinely interested as well because they have such an interesting knowledge on subjects you’ve never thought about
- “on the other side tho”
- on most subjects it’s really easy to convince them because they are always open to see the other side’s point of view
- usually remembers all you’ve told them but always asks if they remember correctly
- intp: OKAY I MADE UP MY MIND
intp, a day later: ON THE OTHER SIDE,
- “look at that dog!”
- mood swings
- so adorable just let me hug them all
- takes care of your shit since you’ve met them
- “NO YOU KNOW WHAT. I’M NOT DOING THIS SHIT FOR THEM THIS TIME. THEY WILL HAVE TO MANAGE IT ON THEIR OWN. I’M DONE HELPING THEM. *does this shit for them because of course they won’t manage it on their own so someone has to*”
- saves the world since they were born
- will try to help, joke about how they failed to help, beat themselves internally over how they failed to help
- OKAY TIME FOR ANOTHER SELF-DEPRACATING JOKE
- you: *starts feeling bad*
INFJ, a second later, out of nowhere: hey are you okay?
- MAKES PLANS. SO MANY PLANS. HOW CAN YOU MANAGE ALL THESE PLANS.
- “i’ve been planning on reading/watching it one day since 2004 but I haven’t found any time since then”
- “my Fe can tolerate your stupidity but my Ni-Ti is so done”
- always done with humanity
- *snarky commentary*
- “so usually when I wake up I have a strict plan of how this day is going to look like and it’s extremely pissing off when something doesn’t go according to that plan”
- ISTJ: *is doing homework for ten hours*
me: do you maybe want to—
ISTJ: NO I WON’T COPY OFF YOUR HOMEWORK I’M NOT WEAK
- somehow really wants to show you that you are important to them, even if they are awkward with feelings
- that smile they have when they talk about people they love doing stuff
- also that excited voice they have while doing so
- “I JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND. HOW CAN YOU JUST… NOT BE PREPARED.”
- their anger is so cold and so visible
- some values are not to be touched!
- really really REALLY cares about people they like
- is really sensitive for their loved ones’ pain and really awkward when trying to comfort them but boy do they try
- that person that will come back for you after the group wanders off and you are left behind
- INTJ, about really hard situations they’ve been through: “this wasn’t such a big deal tho, I mean eh, it’s over now”
- “HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO STUPID I JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND”
- ignorance pisses them off even more than it pisses off other human beings
- it’s Monday and my INTJ dad calls me when I’m at school.
INTJ: hey, I have something important to tell you.
me: sure, what?
INTJ: could you pick up [your sister] from school-
INTJ: –on Friday?
- “you know I just… don’t like it when something doesn’t go according to my plan”
- will plan everything for the trip before you try helping