I can’t sleep rn so let’s talk about all the levels on which Welcome to the Madness is great
- The whole skating routine is so punk rock, so fresh and unconventional, and so Yuri. He’s really expressing himself, no holds barred, and it’s gorgeous and mesmerizing.
- But when you figure all of that, and then add in that he’s skating to Otabek’s music – like Beka is his inspiration, someone who synergizes with him creatively, and the whole routine, from the outfits to the choreography, is their joint creation – I’m just like *clutches chest* *wheezes profusely*
- There’s so many more dynamics to Yuri and Otabek’s relationship and interactions now than were in the show. I don’t have enough capacity for coherent thought right now to break them down, and that should probably wait for a full scan to come out. But how wonderfully they work together, and complement each other, and play off each other after like a WEEK of friendship is the stuff that shipper dreams are made of.
- But for one thing, they are both so cool and nonchalant about that whole sexy af performance, that they have to be incredibly comfortable with each other to pull it off with such ease.
- Everyone who thought Otabek was nothing but a quiet shy guy is IN FOR SOME SURPRISES WHOO BOY. I love him to bits either way – as the cool bad boy on a bike, or as the super-cool club DJ, or as the super-super-cool-super-extra-finger-lickin-good boy. But now he has quite a bit of depth, and every new detail we learn just makes us love him more 👍
- It’s not that often that I’ve been part of a fandom that has allowed me to see my favorite ship become canon right before my eyes. This journey over the past several months has been so beyond awesome, and for all its flaws the YOI fandom is really nothing short of amazing. I am quite certain that we made this happen by showing our support and love for Otayuri ever since that fateful day of Episode 10.
- Finally, now all the haters/anti-shippers can literally go suck it (and by “it” I mean Yuri’s index finger) ☝️☝️☝️👅👅👅
no offense, but otabek definitely ends up being the one that yuri has to constantly talk out of doing Dumb Shit™.
because like, yeah yuri flew to japan to chase victor down, but he had a deep-seated, emotional reason. also, he was cranky and fifteen.
otabek thought yuri had pretty eyes so he reserved two tickets to a park and tracked him down to scoop him onto his bad boy bike. and canonically, he’s got a penchant for mischief.
so like, imagine if you will that once they get closer and more comfortable, otabek will just constantly call yuri at random times of the day like, “OKAY, BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING JUST HEAR ME OUT.”
and yuri already knows it’s shit like trying to adopt two fruit bats he just found in a tree, or buying a “haunted doll” he just saw on eBay, or something like that one time when he was visiting in almaty and otabek decided it was the perfect time to learn how to cliff dive even though both of them are pretty terrified of heights, and also that’s just a fuckin terrible idea anyway.
what i’m trying to say here is that otabek definitely ends up being the dumbass friend that goes missing in public and everyone panics that they’ll find him crammed in a hole somewhere or up at the top of a tree or something, but nobody ever believes it because he just looks like he knows what he’s doing.