Witchlings and Baby Witches, gather ‘round to learn how to cast a simple Circle. You may be wondering, “Why do we cast Circles?” and that can be easily answered! Most of the time, we cast Circles to create a sacred space where our spellwork and rituals can be conducted. There are other various reasons, but you can discover that with time, research, and practice. For this lesson, we are going to focus on creating that sacred space for you.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE CASTING A CIRCLE
**Circles can be cast alone or with others. If you are participating with other witches, you may want to print them off a “script” of what will be said and done that way everyone can participate. Change “I” in the script to “we”, “me” to “us”, and so on and so forth.
**Circles can be cast indoors and outdoors. However, I do caution you not to cast Circles without getting the permission of the person who owns said space, home, property, etc.
**You can decorate and dress up for your Circle casting. Using the appropriate colors, plants, stones, and meaningful objects can aid in powering your Circle. This, however, is not necessary.
**Decide in advance what will be done in the Circle. Make a plan of what you want to do inside your circle, whether it worship, prayer, spellwork, or meditation. Don’t feel rushed and take your time.
**Music may be used to accompany the Circle casting and rituals. I typically choose songs that don’t have words. (I get distracted easily by music.)
**Feel free to customize these words and tailor them to fit your own practices. You can substitute “walls and floors” with “foliage, stones, and ground” if you are casting outside. Names for Gods and Goddesses may be used in place of “Lord and Lady.”
**There is no right way to cast a Circle. There are many traditions that different witches use. Find what you like, experiment and customize your circle casting ritual.
**NOTE** This is just one example of how to cast a Circle (one I used when I was just starting out.)
TOOLS FOR CASTING THE CIRCLE
Candles, incense, matches (or a lighter), representations of the four corners, decorations, an athame (ceremonial knife) or wand.
BASIC CIRCLE CASTING
1. Ground and center, and then lay out where your Circle will be cast. This doesn’t have to be physically marked, but I have seen people use cord, chalk, and candles. (Note: using lit candles can be dangerous. Please take precautions when doing this. We don’t want anyone or anything getting hurt.) I used to create a small altar at the direction North with representations of the four elements.
2. Light incense and candles, and make your announcement: The Circle is about to be cast and I freely stand within to greet my Lady and my Lord.
3. Take one candle in hand and begin walking the Circle. Here, we are acknowledging the Four Quarters (North, South, East, and West.) We will stop at each direction and call out the corresponding greeting found below. For this, we will walk deosil around our Circle. To move deosil is to move in a clockwise (or sunwise) direction. Once you have finished acknowledging the directions, return to North.
–North: I call upon Light and Earth at the North to illuminate and strengthen the Circle. –East: I call upon Light and Air at the East to illuminate and enliven the Circle. –South: I call upon Light and Fire at the South to illuminate and warm the Circle. –West: I call upon Light and Water at the South to illuminate and cleanse the Circle.
4. Return the candle to its rightful place and raise the athame or wand into your hand facing North. Call out: I draw this Circle in the Presence of the Lady and the Lord that They may aid and bless me in my work.
5. Lower the athame or wand and walk deosil once more around the Circle, envisioning a blue light shoot out from the Circle’s boundary. Call out: This is the boundary of the Circle, around me, through walls and floors, above me and below me as a sphere is the Circle cast and consecrated to the Lady and the Lord that They may work with and through Their child, (your name/Craft Name). This Circle is charged by the power of the Ancient Ones! Only love shall enter and leave.
Begin your ritual, spellcasting, meditation, or any other word you wish inside the Circle. Within it, you will be protected. However, a word of caution: if you are a witchling, make sure you do not over exert yourself inside the Circle. Casting any magic can make anyone grow weary or tired, so be aware of how much energy you are expending. Like any magic, it takes time and practice. When you have finished your work, you will open your Circle.
OPENING THE CIRCLE
6. Take the athame or wand in hand both hands facing North. Call out: Lord and Lady, I have been blessed by Your sharing this time with me; watching and guarding me; guiding me here and in all things. I came in love and I depart in love.
7. Raise the athame or wand high in the air in salute. Call out: Love is the Law and Love is the Bond. Merry did I meet, merry do I part, and merry will I meet again. The Circle is cleansed.
8. Kiss the flat of the blade or the tip of the wand. Here, we will bid farewell to the Quarters and move widdershins. Widdershins, which can be spelled withershins, widershins, widderschynnes, appears to come from German and Lowland Scottish. In German, widersinning means “against the senses”, that is “not the usual”, or “against the grain.” For our purposes, it means to move counter-clockwise. So, we will go from North to West, South, and East. As you move, this would be the time to blow out candles if they are how you laid out your Circle. Once you have finished saying goodbye to the Quarters, return North.
–Depart in peace, Elemental Earth. My blessings take with you! –Depart in peace, Elemental Water. My blessings take with you! –Depart in peace, Elemental Fire. My blessings take with you! –Depart in peace, Elemental Air. My blessings take with you!
9. Raise your arms into the air with athame or wand in hand. Call out: Beings and powers of the visible and invisible, depart in peace! You aid in my work, whisper in my mind, and bless me from the Otherworld. Let there ever be harmony between us. My blessings take with you. The Circle is cleared!
10. Take the athame or wand in hand, and move widdershins once more around the Circle, calling out: The Circle is open yet the Circle remains as its magical power is drawn back into me. The Circle has been cleared. My ritual has ended.
11. Place athame or wand aside, and take a seat on the floor (you may also lie on your back.) Close your eyes and focus on grounding excess energy by touching your palms to the floor. Let the magic in the room (or outdoors) disperse and settle. Take a few deep breaths, open your eyes, and begin cleaning up your space.
I hope all of you find this helpful. Again, Circle casting can be completely tailored and customized for your needs, and you don’t have to cast one this way. It is meant to be a resource for those just starting out. If you have any questions, you can reach me via ASK or by messaging me.
SPN Hiatus Creations| Week 3: Dean and Baby (ships) | Dean: Whoo! Listen to her purr! Have you ever heard anything so sweet? Sam: You know, if you two wanna get a room, just let me know, Dean. Dean: Oh, don’t listen to him, baby. He doesn’t understand us.
one of my favorite moments in baby driver is when they play baby’s ‘was he slow’ mixtape and everyone goes from being ready to murder baby to being really, really embarrassed for him. bats looks like he can’t even comprehend what he’s hearing. buddy looks personally betrayed that he thought baby was cool when he was actually just a lame nerd this whole time. kevin spacey can barely look at him, and when he does, his expression screams ‘i can’t believe i ever called you my crime-son. i did not raise you to be this way.’
meanwhile darling’s just over in the corner like ‘THIS IS MY JAAAAAAM’
rear window: the boy who cried murder<p/><b>an american in paris:</b> i guess we should add some singing to all of these dance numbers<p/><b>the philadelphia story:</b> i want you back, i want you back🎵<p/><b>how to steal a million:</b> gullibility and sarcasm fall in love and steal a dinky statue<p/><b>cabaret:</b> drag and scandalous dances in WWII<p/><b>the sound of music:</b> where a kid can be a kid (and fucking sing like a normal child)<p/><b>bringing up baby:</b> can we keep him? please?<p/><b>seven brides for seven brothers:</b> abduction cause its romantic<p/><b>singing in the rain:</b> good morning🍊🎵there are 16 oranges in every tropicana pure premiu-<p/><b>it's a wonderful life:</b> a cute old man fixes jimmy stewart's many problems<p/><b>the shop around the corner:</b> we're better staying pen pals than actually dating<p/><b>breakfast at tiffany's:</b> she's lowkey a psycho but it's all about love and cats anyway<p/><b>roman holiday:</b> tomboy princess takes a day off and then has to face reality again<p/><b>star!:</b> gertie get your shit together<p/><b>my fair lady:</b> men are snobs and the english have a social system based on speech<p/><b>sabrina:</b> you got hurt and couldn't go on dates with me so i dated your brother instead<p/><b>thoroughly modern millie:</b> everyone is extra and there are white people who play asian people and horrible sex trafficking but it's okay because carol channing<p/><b>west side story:</b> why the fuck do you love him after he literally murdered your brother oh well he died so who cares anyway<p/><b>harvey:</b> polite and innocent man is a bit loopy so everyone tries to lock him up<p/><b>gone with the wind:</b> you don't love me?!?! but you gotta, i guess i'll marry all of the south to make you jealous<p/><b>casablanca:</b> paris and kids being looked at<p/><b>the african queen:</b> oh we almost died but we didn't so let's kiss and build a torpedo from scratch<p/><b>on golden pond:</b> where everyone won best actor/actress and 74 year old katharine hepburn did her own fucking stunts<p/><b>annie get your gun:</b> frank butler is a fucking selfish wienie<p/><b>lawrence of arabia:</b> nice, noble man goes crazy over the course of 4 hours<p/><b>the wizard of oz:</b> everything magical and good in the world is a hoax, kids<p/><b>cinderella:</b> cinderelly, cinderelly, we're woodland creatures providing comical pastime<p/><b>snow white:</b> practice makes perfect, disney, because this movie was on drugs<p/><b>sleeping beauty:</b> let's take a story about rape and make it for kids but then add unrealistic body types<p/><b>gold finger:</b> look it's the german villain from chitty chitty bang bang in a bond movie<p/><b>chitty chitty bang bang:</b> this movie was also on drugs but it's still great<p/><b>funny face:</b> audrey and fred in france<p/><b>🌟i love all these movies so much so don't get your panties in a wad it's a joke:</b> <p/></p>
A broken heart was a nuisance, an annoying leech that sucked the life out of you every moment you paused to think about the pain it was spreading through your limbs. Every second you spent with your mind not occupied you wanted to scream and cry. It felt like your emotions were burning embers and anytime you paused to give it oxygen the fire would grow and consume you til you were nothing but ashes.