April is “Autism Awareness Month”, so here are a few reminders for you to keep in mind:
- Autism Speaks is a hate group.
- The reasoning behind “Light It Up Blue” (that there are more autistic boys than girls) stems from a tendency in doctors to base their autism diagnoses on stereotypes and sometimes refuse to diagnose girls.
- Most autistic people don’t want a “cure” for autism and don’t support Autism Speaks.
- Autism Speaks has given abusive/ableist parents legitimacy by portraying autism as a terrifying, life-ruining affliction and sympathising with parents who have contemplated killing their children, or actually killed them.
- The views of autistic people are more important in this topic than the views of our allistic family members and peers.
- Autism is not a disease.
- Very little (about 4%) of Autism Speaks’ proceeds go toward supporting autistic people. More of it goes toward catering.
- Autism is not a tragedy.
- What autistic people need is acceptance, not awareness.