PSA to our followers this Autism Acceptance Month:
Use Autism **Acceptance** Month (as opposed to Autism Awareness Month).
- NO “light it up blue” or puzzle pieces. Google “Autism Speaks hate group” to learn more.
- Use red or gold instead, which are colors supported by the autistic community.
- Use identity-first language (most autistic people prefer “autistic” instead of “person with autism”), but don’t police the language of someone who prefers to be called a person with autism.
- NO scare terms like “suffering with autism” or “afflicted with autism.”
- Avoid functioning labels like “high functioning” or “low functioning.”
- If autistic voices are not at the center of your efforts, you’re doing it wrong.
- When in doubt, ASK AN AUTISTIC PERSON.
- To learn more about autism, visit autistic-run organizations like the Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) and Autism Women’s Network (AWN).