How to save a tv show
I don’t know if you realize or you just don’t care anymore, but, if we get some media coverage on the issue of queerbaiting, we can:
- At least make it so that it doesn’t get worse, like Sherlock kissing Irene or John dating/marrying another woman.
- Possibly even get as much as implied married!lock with parentlock.
- In a best case scenario, if we play well our arguments outside of tumblr with the help of the press, we might even get the writers so understand our point of view.
There has been a wall between us an the writers until now, but we could at least make an attempt to remove it, keeping in mind that they are 50+ years old people that might have very little understanding of young people and of what kind of representation is needed nowadays. They seem on some levels to be invested on the queer side of the relationship themselves for their own personal reasons. They behaved very badly, but they are not intentionally evil, they are people that can learn (even if sadly the burden of making them learn is on us).
Some of us can keep developing these characters outside of the show, but it remains the fact that what is the actual content of the show will still have an impact 1) on the real world’s perception of queer people 2) on the future of queer representation in other shows 3) on all future Holmes adaptations concerning whether Holmes and Watson will be portrayed as a romantic couple 4) on new queer viewers who might get hurt while watching for the first time 5) on the ultimate fate of the characters of this particular adapatation, as with time the characterization we have developed during this hiatus will be lost if not in agreement with the show, possibly very soon. And probably other consequences I can’t think of right now.
My suggestion is that we can try to get the press on our side and, since we were till the other day ten thousand or so, it is something we could easily do if we tried.
- I thought that we can tweet, retweet, like massively with the tags
#TheGreatestLoveStoryNeverTold #sherlock (quotes, arguments, pictures, gifs, even from other Holmes adaptations).
Keep it civil if we want to come to an understanding with the writers.
- Tip news outlets on the possibility of writing an article on the matter.
- If you have the means, write an article yourself to submit outside of tumblr.
- Send you complaint to the BBC if you already haven’t. Here’s a guide.
Have you got any new ideas to add?
(PS I don’t have many followers, so do not expect my post to go around without reblogs)