My Best Friend’s Wedding is arguable one of the best romantic comedies of all time and I’ll tell you why:
- It hits all the classic romantic comedy cues (the misunderstanding, wacky supporting characters, a wedding at the end, chase scene, etc) without feeling stale
- The main character is a successful but incredibly flawed (without being fucking clumsy) female anti-hero
- She does terrible things but recognizes that and learns from her mistakes
- And in the end, instead of breaking up her friend’s wedding and making a mess of her entire life, she realizes that some things are more important than romantic love, sometimes you don’t always win but you can still be happy with your friends and family!!!
- How many movies, let alone romantic comedies, end with the female protagonist getting her heart broken but realizing that it’s for the best and that maybe she DOESN’T need a man after all?
- Not to mention it has countless perfect set ups and executions
Which is why if you haven’t been watching this over and over since 1997 you’re just plain wrong!