Freyja - How to honour and invoke her.
Herbs, Scents, Oils, Flavours, Foods and Drink
- Strawberry (sweetness, love, desire)
- Rose (love, romance, sexuality)
- Florals (femininity, sweetness)
- Sandalwood (sensuality, strength, desire)
- Nutmeg (luck, love)
- Rosemary (death, respect, passing on)
- Vanilla (sensuality, sweetness, desire)
- Mint (sensuality, desire)
- Cinnamon (strength, warmth, assertiveness)
- Thyme (magic, strength)
- Ginseng (aphrodisiac)
- Saffron (aphrodisiac)
- Catnip and catgrass (cats)
- Mugwort (magic, prophecy) [toxic in large amounts]
- Wormwood (magic, prophecy) [toxic in large amounts]
- Juniper (strength, power)
- Charcoal (death, rebirth)
- Red wine (aphrodisiac)
- Mead (golden colour relates to her golden tears)
- Cocoa (aphrodisiac)
Items that can be used in an altar dedicated to Freyja
- Cats - statues, fur (not from cruel means!), shedded claws or whiskers, paw prints, plush toys.
- Food and Drink offerings - see above list!
- Weaponry - being a warrior goddess, a weapon is a great addition to an altar dedicated to her or as an offering. Letter-opener swords are perfect in size, but a kitchen knife will work just fine! Be careful of any children or other people who shouldn’t be able to access something that can be used as a weapon.
- Feathers - Freyja owns a Falcon feather cloak that allows its wearer to fly.
- Gold - anything golden. She likes shiny things.
- Necklaces - Freyja owns the beautiful necklace, Brisingamen. Any other jewellery would work too!
- Runes - Freyja is a witch (seidkona).
- Other magical items - crystals, candles, tarot cards, wands etc.
- Beauty products - hair brushes, makeup (warpaint!), nail polishes, etc.
- Boars - Freyja (and other Norse gods) own boars. Anything relating to a pig would be suitable (often you can find crystals carved into the shape of a pig). A boar bristle hair brush would be perfect.
- Things relating to feminism - There will be those who roll their eyes and get angry when they see this point, but it’s true. Deal with it.
Subtle and “secret” ways to worship
- Keep altar items in a jewellery box. It signifies her magical necklace while still being able to be hidden away in case the wrong people see it. Same goes for makeup bags, handbags, other boxes, etc.
- A bottle of wine can be placed somewhere in her honour. It’s a common sighting in many households, so there’s little chance of someone questioning it.
- Keep a book (grimoire, book of shadows, journal, etc) with poems, songs, drawings, print-outs etc. dedicated to her. These can be easily hidden between furniture or in a drawer if need be.
- Kitchen magic - use ingredients that are associated with her in your cooking. Just be careful not to include anything that can be toxic or make yourself or someone else sick.
- Burn incense, oils, candles etc. in scents related to her. Many homes use these things as decoration.
- Play music of a Nordic/Pagan/Medieval nature (or whatever you associate with Freyja!).
- Wear perfumes in scents related to her.
- Note: you are allowed to secretly worship, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Not everyone has the luxury/comfort/space to openly have an altar or place of worship in their home, and that’s okay! Your patron deity won’t mind.
Please note: mentions of Freyja being the goddess of femininity are not intended to belittle or exclude trans and non-binary people. Any one of any gender identity can worship her, and without having to explain or justify it to anyone else.