Destiny can happen earlier than expected Merlin Memory Month Prompt Day 1: Path I - Beginnings, Firsts, Risings On this day the prince of Camelot gave a neckerchief to the most powerful sorcerer who ever walked the earth… ooops!
An illustration I wanted to do since almost two years now : young Merlin watching the epic, prophetic fight between the red and the white dragon that were sleeping under the hill on top of which King Vortigern wanted to build his tower. Arthurian legends and Britain’s mythology are an awesome source of inspiration. AND a great excuse to paint over-the-top dragon fights.
Lovestruck Merlin Memory Month Prompt Day 9: Path II - Touches, Touching This was the worst moment Morgana could find out about Arthurs feelings for his servant. Without the chance to escape she kept picking on him the whole evening.
I mean I’ve watched this show for the 3rd time but, whyyyyy🤧😩
WHY am I crying so hard??
“Merlin” is always just tearing me apart, because I’m absolutely in love with it and at the same time I totally hate it.
Just saw King Arthur and the theater was practically EMPTY???!!? Wtf!??!!?!!! This movie was so good you guys, and it’s being torn apart by critics because the lore doesn’t 100% match? *screams frustrations into void* Guy Ritchie took a legend that has been told over and over again for what feels like forever (and let’s be real, it’s been retold so much cause it’s a damn good legend) and put his own unique twist on it.
Personally, I was not going into this movie expecting a word for word reenactment of Thomas Malory’s Le Morte D’Arthur or even T.H. White’s The Once and Future King. The trailer made it very clear that KA: LotS was going to have a different take on the story. And it was gooooood. Omg! This film was like if Lord of the Rings met Kingsman.
Here are some of my favorite things about King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.
• The war elephants were just as fantastic and terrifying as I wanted them to be and more!
• The AWE-INDUCING AF Lady of the Lake *heart-eyes*
• The absolutely mesmerizing Sirens (like holy fuck I couldn’t look away they were SO COOL)
• The BAD-ASS Boss-Lady Mage like HEEEELLLL YAAASSS
• Arthur growing up protecting/respecting women, not because he feels he’s a ~strong man~ who saves ~weak damsels~ and expects a reward for his actions but because he is genuinely sickened by men who disrespect women. Because he was raised by women and *gasp* sees them as *GASP!* people?? Revolutionary.
• NO. ROMANCE. I’M CRYING, TWO MOVIES IN A ROW WITH NO ROMANCE CAN I GET AN AMEN
• How the sword got stuck in the stone!!!! So cool, what a concept, I love it!
• The ANIMALS and the Mage working with nature and all the imagery and the SNAKES!!!
• I legit cried when the Round Table was revealed like holy shit yeessssss.
• Excalibur is a literal powerhouse and we finally get see what it can do!
• The acting was top notch! (Jude Law gave me chills as King Vortigern)
• The soundtrack fed my SOUL hell yes!!!! So good.
• The fight choreography, with an *appropriate* use of slow-mo, gave me life!
• The story telling!!! Like, yes Guy Ritchie’s way of telling the story of King Arthur is amazing but I’m talking about the particular way the *characters* told stories *in the movie* like w.h.o.a. So awesome!!
• The cinematography! I couldn’t go two seconds without coming across a shot that I NEED as my TV and Computer background.
• The special effects. Have I talked about the animals and the MAGE AND THE LADY OF THE LAKE AND THE SIRENS AND EXCALIBUR AND THE COLORS AAAAHHHHHHHH
• The story line. Honestly, screw the critics for giving this film a bad review just because it didn’t stick the legend. IT WASN’T SUPPOSED TO! They took the Legend of King Arthur and built off it to tell their own story and it was sooo gooodd!!
• The camera work!!! Omg the camera work!!! Hot damn.
————- I will say that I was disappointed in how the film fell into the trope of hurting and killing women as a means to motivate the male lead. That wasn’t cool. It has literally everything else going for it, but they tripped up here. This motivation device is used too often in all forms of media, and honestly I’m sick of it.
But! That was the only flaw I could find after one viewing, and the rest of the movie was phenomenal.
Please go see this movie!
Okay real quick! There’s something else about this movie that I LOVED SO MUCH but I’m not sure if it is considered a spoiler. It’s a bit more specific than the bullet points so to be safe, I’ve put it under the cut here.