for that sleepover saturday ask thing: sam/rafe headcanons if you got some? or some general thoughts about them?
oh, absolutely. ⁞ ✿ •̀ ヮ •́ ✿ ⁞ ——sleepover satur/sunday.
- a few sam/rafe things right here
- Sam was the one that Rafe shot when told “Nathan Drake is a legend” and that’s just how they settled their disagreements back then.
- there’s no doubt in my mind, that while these two weren’t romantically involved at first, they all shared a cell together which let Sam and Rafe have some close-talking sessions whenever Nathan was away doing whatever it was that he really did around there (i.e. picking fights). I think Nate had some clue these two were pretty close or getting closer and that’s why he seems to shrug of Rafe’s existence in the whole Panama party, just believes he’s some rich boy asshole and wishes Sam saw him the same way. My favorite fanart to go with this.
- (anything that Rafe does and Nathan seems to question during the game, Sam will give Nate either a reassuring nod or just a sympathetic glance, and Nate knows that Sam truly trusts this guy and, to a degree, he has to as well. Leads me to believe Sam was the one that initially found Rafe.)
- Regarding the above, these two spent at least two years together working through everything together, a team and not having any quarrels. With Rafe admiring Nathan a helluva lot more than Sam and Sam needing some validation in his life, these two could have very easily started a budding romance when reunited, thrown together into some depressing mayhem but Rafe no doubt buys Sam everything he needs to start over and have him on his side, his team, and in his life.
- the ways rafe looks at sam perfectly reading latin
- he always regards Nathan with a scowl and “Samuel” with a light-hearted, if not playful smile, gentle physical acknowledgement (disregarding the following smack), and Nate is the only one who ever backs up when Rafe approaches, Sam has an amazing amount of trust toward him.
- THERE IS A LOT MISSING FROM THIS GAME? Literally no cuts over to what Sam and Rafe are doing when obviously paired up through parts of Madagascar and the following island – and this leads me to believe it’s because Sam was literally never once “captured” or being used by Rafe. He was jumping back and forth, helping two people he loved and wanted to see through this with him until the end. To some degree, I even believe that Sam being trapped under the beam was staged to throw Nate off in the end so maybe Nate would have a reason to take Sam, leave Rafe there and not be none the wiser of how they got there in the first place and what lover’s quarrel went down. Sam just didn’t see, you, NATE KILLING RAFE.
- and on that note, my personal alternate ending regarding this, Rafe is left alive, just with broken legs maybe and before Nate and Sam dive off to safety, Sam pushes Nate that they have to save Rafe one way or another, actually putting Sam’s true morals and feelings for the guy in question and right there. Why this didn’t happen? Who fucking knows, like half the fucking game is missing.
out-of-game. purely fluff.
- Rafe’s eyes absolutely fascinate Sam, who tends to spend hours just watching them when Raf eis doing menial tasks or they’re in bed together and he’s reading. This is, however, until Rafe politely tells him to cut it the fuck out. The gayest thing he’s said about them is they remind him of the coasts off Madagascar, which is usually met with collective groans.
- I actually don’t have any sex headcanons because I legit just believe these two would be pretty normal? Everyone goes on about how Rafe has some “daddy kink” with Sam and Sam is some guy who likes to be called daddy and tbqh that’s just weird to me, idk. pretty sure these two just bang and snuggle and get frisky like anyone else, nothing special there. a lot of messing with hair and pillow talk.
- SAM DRAKE IS ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH EVERYTHING ABOUT RAFE ADLER, RIGHT DOWN TO THE FACT THAT HE CAN BE CALMED DOWN WITH SPOONING AND GENTLE FINGER BRUSHED THROUGH THE HAIR HE TAKES SO MUCH CARE OF. SAM DRAKE IS FUCKING BEWILDERED THAT HE, SOMEONE NOT AS ATTRACTIVE OR POPULAR AS HIS BABY BROTHER, CAN HAVE SOMEONE SO COMPLIMENTARY OF THEM AND UNIQUE IN THEIR LIVES TO LOVE AND HOLD. RAFE ADLER IS SAM DRAKE’S WARM BODY HE FINALLY GETS TO KEEP FOREVER.
- once everyone is back home, Sam decides to live away from Nathan and stay with Rafe, thinking it’s better the space between them is what keeps them familiar. Rafe started off with giving him a copy of the house key and started off just quietly trying to work things out after what happened. Maybe Rafe is in a wheelchair for a while, Sam does his best to help out around the house and with anything Rafe needs, if not everything. They confide in each other almost automatically and Sam encourages Rafe to go into therapy or at least seek a medical professional.
- Rafe clearly has some antisocial disorder, he’s probably bipolar, but most of all he was obviously neglected or consider “second” by his parents, who simply made him their heir and taught him nothing else. Once the Drakes came into his life, and furthermore when Sam Drake came into his life, he saw adventure, a thrilling life, and the will to be courageous, spontaneous, and learn new things. Nathan picked too many fights and was arrogant, but Sam seemed to settle in with any locals or community and be a companion to them. He actually regarded Rafe with a fondness and that’s probably while Rafe fell for him to easily/quickly.
- Rafe’s family business is called Adler’s Fine Art & Brokerage and he now runs it with more confidence (or at least less impulsive behavior to run off) alongside Sam. They travel together to find rare pieces or artifacts publicly held. With Nathan retired, they find little competition or trouble along the way and for two guys finally settling down and coming to terms with one another, this is quite alright. Sometimes Sully joins the party to do a little exploring and/or bidding and any animosity they held toward each other has faded.
- Rafe could have everything in the world, all the money he’d ever need, but still appreciates small, inexpensive, maybe stolen or broken and cheap gifts that Sam finds for him. Small things like little clay animals with horribly painted faces… old, chipped coins he swiped from an auction backstage… he even greatly appreciates Sam bringing him a glass of fucking water and told he looks as if he needed it. The entire world could kneel at Rafe Adler’s feet and worship him, shower him in gifts, and the only ones that would matter are the ones Sam Drake gives him and are put on the bedside table for him to marvel at.